Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 250489 times)

Scott

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2011, 03:17:36 pm »

When Isotropic is replaced with some method of playing dominion that requires payment, I assume most of these people will be gone.

FYP

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 05, 2011, 03:05:11 pm »
+1

My favorites are the people who complain about luck....but wait until after the game, then return really quickly before anybody can say anything back to them. XD
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:03 pm »

My favorites are the people who complain about luck....but wait until after the game, then return really quickly before anybody can say anything back to them. XD

Or the people who complain about luck during the game and then go on to win it...

* Thisisnotasmile looks at tournament opponent.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 05, 2011, 03:23:55 pm »
+1

Or the people who complain about luck during the game and then go on to win it...

I had the opposite of this experience... a guy who was explaining to me why my play wasn't very good, as he went on to lose!

It was a Treasure Map game with no +buy. I made an early mistake of buying Scheme to top-deck my Treasure Maps after each hand, then realized of course that I can only top-deck cards I've played, not in hand. Anyway, he hit his Treasure Maps by buying 3 or 4 of them, and kept buying Treasure Maps even on the turn after his Treasure Maps hit. I eventually hit my 2 Treasure Maps and proceded to buy Provinces when I could. By the time he was buying a Province every turn, I was also buying them with my 4 Gold and able to get half of them. Right near the end, he commented that I started buying Provinces too soon, because his deck was already stronger, and I was just making mine even worse.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 06, 2011, 09:37:41 pm »

That's not something to complain about really, depending on how he offered the criticism.  The game has plenty of luck, and suboptimal strategies win all the time.  Sometimes it's hard to say what's suboptimal and what's not, if it were never hard to say we probably wouldn't want to play Dominion.

I had an opponent open Fool's Gold, Fool's Gold on a Familiar board the other day, no trashing either iirc.  I remarked that his play was unusual, opened Silver/Potion, and went on to draw my potion with less than 3$ two or three consecutive times and lose.  I still think his play was bad.  He probably thinks it's good.  Unless I have a sketch of a mathematical proof to show him, I'm not going to argue about it, I'm going to agree to disagree.  But I don't have to concede all my opinions about the game because I lost.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:31 pm »
+1

That's not something to complain about really, depending on how he offered the criticism.  The game has plenty of luck, and suboptimal strategies win all the time.  Sometimes it's hard to say what's suboptimal and what's not, if it were never hard to say we probably wouldn't want to play Dominion.

I had an opponent open Fool's Gold, Fool's Gold on a Familiar board the other day, no trashing either iirc.  I remarked that his play was unusual, opened Silver/Potion, and went on to draw my potion with less than 3$ two or three consecutive times and lose.  I still think his play was bad.  He probably thinks it's good.  Unless I have a sketch of a mathematical proof to show him, I'm not going to argue about it, I'm going to agree to disagree.  But I don't have to concede all my opinions about the game because I lost.
True enough, but I'd have to say (in my opinion), that his play was quite suboptimal on the specific aspect that he was criticizing me on. It was a board with no +buy, and he continued to get more gold when he had plenty and could have started buying provinces. To not take a Province whenever you can on that kind of board is a pretty big mistake, I think. I don't think you can argue that I was going for Provinces too early.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 09, 2011, 11:11:48 am »
+3

I had an amusing match yesterday, a three player game where one of the players d/ced about ~9ish turns in while I had Sea Haged 5 curses to each player (I was the only person to have bought Sea Hag). Confronted with the fact that he could now end up with 15 curses, he began to start cursing me out in no small fashion. After an insult to my parentage, I informed him that I did not have parents and was the result of an AI robotics project, and started typing in binary. Amusingly, not only did this stop the insults, but he began communing in binary as well.

01101011 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 10, 2011, 01:30:08 am »

During a Minion, Peddler, Hamlet game:

1:23 lazmaster: go fuck yourself
 1:23 lazmaster: this is obnoxious
 1:23 lazmaster: and not fun
 1:23 Mean Mr Mustard: resign or stay and learn something, I do not care
 1:24 lazmaster: listen you egotistical prick, i'll wipe your ass with this game in person in base and prosperity...never played with cartographer, swindler and minion until today
 1:25 Mean Mr Mustard: why the anger?
 1:26 lazmaster: each turn is obnoxiously long
 1:27 lazmaster has returned to the lobby.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2011, 02:49:52 pm »
+1

So, his behavior was completely unacceptable, but I understand the intense frustration.  It's very annoying to be the other guy when one player buys 8 hamlets.  Minion only compounds things.  Play all money, buy gold, go surf the web for 5 mins while the other guy clicks through all his decisions.  Come back to find a 4 card hand with few options.  Rinse and repeat.

I wish there were a way to track how long each player is taking, and/or have a chess clock type of system.  It does suck to want to play a few quick games only to spend half an hour where you are personally only playing for 5 mins.

barsooma

« Reply #409 on: December 11, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »
+1

So, his behavior was completely unacceptable, but I understand the intense frustration.  It's very annoying to be the other guy when one player buys 8 hamlets.  Minion only compounds things.  Play all money, buy gold, go surf the web for 5 mins while the other guy clicks through all his decisions.  Come back to find a 4 card hand with few options.  Rinse and repeat.

I wish there were a way to track how long each player is taking, and/or have a chess clock type of system.  It does suck to want to play a few quick games only to spend half an hour where you are personally only playing for 5 mins.

Just imagine if you were playing IRL!
You can't have any sort of system which penalizes long turns without completely altering the strategic landscape of the game, which I think is completely unwarranted.
What would be nice is a better notification system so it's easier to do other things while they're playing their turn.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:40 pm »

You can't have any sort of system which penalizes long turns without completely altering the strategic landscape of the game, which I think is completely unwarranted.  What would be nice is a better notification system so it's easier to do other things while they're playing their turn.

Yeah, it's difficult.  If I'm playing Dominion, I want to be playing Dominion, not surfing the web in another tab.  If I have 30 mins to play, I want to play 3 games, not one.  It's why many people veto Torturer, Witch, etc.  They make games drag.  I've never spent so long waiting to play as with Hamlet + Peddlers.  It's excruciating with a new player or someone who's lagging.  I've been tempted to play 2 games at once, but that seems rude.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to derail, but I'm just saying that the guy may have been legitimately extremely frustrated (as I have been), though his response was inappropriate.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »

Just imagine if you were playing IRL!

Actually, Hamlet is much better in person than online, in a comparative sense--i.e., Hamlet takes three times as long as Lab online but only about 1.5 times as long as Lab in person.  Unless the person goes the serious AP route, which is going to be bad either way.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 12, 2011, 06:32:26 am »

I played a game today, and I really enjoyed it. I went for baron, silk road and Inn/Horse traders.
My opponent was losing, and said "fuck you" before resigning.

I don't know if it often happens, but I hate this kind of behavior...

barsooma

« Reply #413 on: December 12, 2011, 10:43:50 am »

Just played a game where my opponent built a lovely chapelled draw engine using crossroads / great hall.
However somehow he missed me picking up two noble brigands.

Right after he used !details:
10:28 Taidon: I have no treasure......wtf

Later, just before he bought the last province for a loss:
10:39 Taidon: btw, your a complete asshole for using attack cards.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:37 am »

By the way, I'd like to apologise to hungryhungryhippo for my laggy connection earlier - it genuinely wasn't showing the moves in a timely fashion.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

barsooma

« Reply #415 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »

Not terribly uncivil, but he did ragequit and it amused me how worked up he got.

20:09 me: are you a bot?
20:09 me: you played those fishing villages ridiculously fast
20:11 him: what?
20:11 him: am i a bot
20:12 him: wait do you acutally think a bot could play dominon at the level of 40+? rofl
20:12 him: that would require thousands of hours of study
20:12 him: i play this game for fun and competition
20:12 him: !!
20:13 me: ok no need to blow your conversation circuits
20:13 him has returned to the lobby.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2011, 09:07:03 pm »
+1

..so you're here to report yourself? I don't get it.

barsooma

« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:10 pm »

..so you're here to report yourself? I don't get it.

Nah, mainly just posted because I found the conversation and his reaction amusing..
I do think though it goes to show that it's not just low-rankers who can be very touchy.

EDIT: not gonna say who this was, but he was indeed 40+, and after searching here I see some other people have had encounters with him as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:46:00 pm by barsooma »

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:10 pm »

What I'm saying is, if there's anyone in that conversation who's rude or uncivil, it's not the level 40+ dude. Imo.

barsooma

« Reply #419 on: December 16, 2011, 11:02:21 pm »

What I'm saying is, if there's anyone in that conversation who's rude or uncivil, it's not the level 40+ dude. Imo.
Yeah, I got that thanks. Hope I don't play you or anyone else who's had their sense of humor removed anytime soon.

EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify that I don't think his ragequit had anything to do with our conversation, but rather being on the losing end of an ambassador war. And he really did play 4 fishing villages inhumanly fast, but that was probably a net glitch.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:07:33 pm by barsooma »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 17, 2011, 04:18:24 am »

Or just... you know... clicking four times in a row. I'm betting most computer-literates can do that in less than 0.25 of a second.

barsooma

« Reply #421 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:48 am »

Or just... you know... clicking four times in a row. I'm betting most computer-literates can do that in less than 0.25 of a second.

Maybe it's just my connection, but the fastest I can play cards is barely over 1 per second.. You have to wait for one to disappear before you can click on the one below it, which requires waiting for some AJAX magic with the server to happen. I could imagine writing a bot which can fire play requests nearly simultaneously though.

Hunting Party of One

• Swindler
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 17, 2011, 10:10:50 am »

I too have experienced a pretty severe lack in sportsmanship when playing on isotropic.  A few manners (hello, hf, etc.) go a long way to making the game that much more fun.  And at the end, saying good game is the least that everybody could do.  It's just a game, people, and an extremely fun one at that.  Let's not diminish it by taking it so seriously.  You win some, you lose some.  Say good game and give that virtual handshake at the end of the game.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 17, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »

Yeah, I got that thanks. Hope I don't play you or anyone else who's had their sense of humor removed anytime soon.
You were being rude, not funny.

barsooma

« Reply #424 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:07 pm »
+1

You were being rude, not funny.
Whatever dude. I guess all you 40+ take yourselves way too seriously.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:58:17 pm by barsooma »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.