Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 251074 times)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #250 on: September 20, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »

Usually a good method to get people to talk is just to say something yourself. Even if it's just a small remark towards the end of the game like: "OK, think I have been lucky with XYZ" shows your opponent that you are not one of these guys who doesn't say anything, so he may stay a little bit longer after the game.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2011, 04:17:58 pm »

What is the point of playing dominion if I'm not allowed to talk about the game that just happened?!?

To have fun playing the game of Dominion? If you want to talk, talk. If you want to talk to someone who will talk back, find a chat room. If you want to play Dominion, play Dominion.

treasuremapisforcretins

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 04, 2011, 10:07:18 pm »

To the compulsive sayers of "GG," here's some food for thought. In some gaming cultures, it's considered extremely rude in 99% of games for the winner to say "Good Game" first. The proper etiquette is for the loser to say it (if they feel like it), and for the winner to reciprocate. The truth is that most games of Dominion between people of similar skill levels are determined primarily by variance, and in games of chance, the person on the losing end is likely unhappy about it. Saying "GG" after you happen to win a game thanks to some fortunate draws with tournament basically amounts to throwing it in your opponent's face.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2011, 11:43:42 pm »

To the compulsive sayers of "GG," here's some food for thought. In some gaming cultures, it's considered extremely rude in 99% of games for the winner to say "Good Game" first.
I dont think i've ever heard someone say "good game" after playing a game RL that wasn't freaking little league baseball.  Grow up, internet!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 05, 2011, 01:05:01 am »

I dont think i've ever heard someone say "good game" after playing a game RL that wasn't freaking little league baseball.  Grow up, internet!

Tennis.

After a match, you go up and shake your opponent's hand, and it's fairly customary to exchange the usual meaningless pleasantries like "well played" or "nice match", regardless of score.

Dunno about other competitive cultures, but that's the one I come from, so a 'gg' after each game, win or lose or whatever, feels entirely natural.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 05, 2011, 03:02:46 am »

I think there are a lot of Dominion players (like me) who have been insulated from the "abuse" of the phrase 'gg' by the video game crowd.  At the risk of remotely psychoanalyzing an entire population of gamers, I suspect this alternate, insulting definition of 'gg' stems mostly from sour grapes by the defeated rather than gloating by the victorious.

treasuremapisforcretins

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 05, 2011, 09:42:50 am »

The point is that your intentions are meaningless to the other person. If you are going to say GG at the end of every game because "you're just trying to be polite," regardless of how your comment is going to be received, you are not being polite. You are being rude.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:53 am »

The point is that your intentions are meaningless to the other person. If you are going to say GG at the end of every game because "you're just trying to be polite," regardless of how your comment is going to be received, you are not being polite. You are being rude.

Don't know what you want to say. Usually people on this platform say something like "gg" after every game. If you are new to the platform, you can possibly think after the first two games that you have met some idiots who just want to insult you, but somewhen after this you might reconsider your position and might possibly start to think that you have mistaken them, and that this is the usual behaviour in this social sphere.
You of course can just ignore this and think that everybody is a dick and insults you, because you consider "gg" as an insult, and you can as well consider "good bye" as an insult for whatever reason and think everybody irl is insulting you. In this case, hf...

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 05, 2011, 10:34:38 am »

For me "GG" from the loser is like offering hands in Chess and a good end of the game. I agree however on this one:

To the compulsive sayers of "GG," here's some food for thought. In some gaming cultures, it's considered extremely rude in 99% of games for the winner to say "Good Game" first.

Even worse if the winner says it at the begin of a very long turn using additional buys for copper or the like without goons/gardens.

Strange too if someone says GG after your 5/2 start or maybe after an unlucky draw at turn 6 only to play on (maybe even win).

Buggz

• Spy
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:28 am »

To me "gg" is a way to humbly admit defeat, simply leaving a game saying nothing is often considered a ragequit.

barsooma

« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:48 am »

The only one that annoys me is when someone says gg at the start of my turn, then gets annoyed if I don't end the game quickly enough.

If you are so sure that I've won and don't want to sit through another turn, why didn't you resign during yours?

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:52 am »

About "gg" as gratuitous and unnecessary: While it's true that "gg" doesn't seem to serve much function, I think it makes a difference in a medium where you can't actually see the person you're playing. In a F2F tournament, at the very least you would say hello and goodbye to your opponent and look them in the eye. "GG" is like that.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 05, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

The only one that annoys me is when someone says gg at the start of my turn, then gets annoyed if I don't end the game quickly enough.

If you are so sure that I've won and don't want to sit through another turn, why didn't you resign during yours?

I am guilty of this, I usually do it midway through a turn, when I see the money to end the game, (either a 3-pile buy or last province). To me the more important question is, if you've already won, why prolong it? It seems to me, the more courteous response is to end the game, accept victory gracefully and let us both move on.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 05, 2011, 02:04:51 pm »

If you just absolutely cream someone, it is impolite to type "gg".  The correct thing to say is "noob".
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 05, 2011, 02:09:03 pm »

About "gg" as gratuitous and unnecessary: While it's true that "gg" doesn't seem to serve much function, I think it makes a difference in a medium where you can't actually see the person you're playing. In a F2F tournament, at the very least you would say hello and goodbye to your opponent and look them in the eye. "GG" is like that.

I think it recognizes the other opponent, its a simple, effective way to show gratitude for having engaged in a fair game without malice or slander. It's not only harmless, I appreciate it when I see it. Simple social recognition, like eye-contact, a nod or a "hello" can also be argued as "gratuitous and unnecessary" but many of us do these things anyway, because it just helps us remember there's another human being you're interacting with.

The intertubes are chalk full of the anti-social 4Chan crowd, who constantly measure their ePeen by how much bravado they can display in a medium that's completely anonymous and insulated. A "GG" is a small, small break from that awful, cold world. :)

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 05, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »

I think it recognizes the other opponent, its a simple, effective way to show gratitude for having engaged in a fair game without malice or slander. It's not only harmless, I appreciate it when I see it. Simple social recognition, like eye-contact, a nod or a "hello" can also be argued as "gratuitous and unnecessary" but many of us do these things anyway, because it just helps us remember there's another human being you're interacting with.

The intertubes are chalk full of the anti-social 4Chan crowd, who constantly measure their ePeen by how much bravado they can display in a medium that's completely anonymous and insulated. A "GG" is a small, small break from that awful, cold world. :)

It's an awful case of false dichotomy to insinuate that you either say "gg" or you're a /b/tard.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2011, 02:45:46 pm »

It's an awful case of false dichotomy to insinuate that you either say "gg" or you're a /b/tard.

I'm still chewing those words you put in my mouth. They don't taste very good. :)

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2011, 03:05:36 pm »

Sorry if you felt that way; it's just that 4chan and "gg" are just so hugely unrelated. /b/ gives a bad name to the other boards on 4chan, and refusing to say "gg" will hardly be seen as a show of bravado to any of the Anons. Thankfully, the awful cold world which is /b/ can't be generalized to the rest of the (searchable) internet.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »

If you just absolutely cream someone, it is impolite to type "gg".  The correct thing to say is "noob".

OK, I laughed.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #269 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:51 pm »

Just now this level 0 was savagely outplaying me and I got a little mad:

Geronimoo: f u :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Farm: what does f u mean?

... a few seconds go by...

Farm: oh
Farm: really?

He won the game and "f u"-d me right back and left before I cooled down and could apologize. So to that guy, sorry for my behaviour :(

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 10, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

If you feel hugely insulted because someone said "gg" to you at the end of the game, it may be time for you to, like, investigate your anger issues or something.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2011, 06:12:18 am »

I apologize to everyone I've called a shitbag. :)

I have tilt issues. :(

barsooma

« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2011, 08:11:19 am »

I actually had someone pull the 'wait 179 seconds between each action' trick on me yesterday.

He opened with 'Aloha' and I wasn't feeling talkative so I didn't respond. Next turn 'Gutentag', then 'Buenos dias', etc.
I was getting a little fed up with it, so when he said something like 'Too busy to be courteous, eh?', I responded with 'Hurry up and lose :)' which apparently touched a nerve.

We actually ended up having a nice chat about differing ideas of courtesy when we should have been playing. Unfortunately I couldn't fully indulge my stubbornness as I had somewhere to be and was forced to time out.

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »

I will 'gg' on my turn as a way of saying 'I will end the game this turn, you can stop thinking about your next turn'.

In ~800 games, not one person has been rude to me. In a large percentage (90%) of games we both exchange hello/gg and in the other 10% we have an interesting conversation (about math or dominion).

One thing that might help is I acknowledge the rare (or lucky?) things that happen in the games I play. My Jester hits your gold on my turn 4 I'll say "rough". Your swindler hits nothing but my coppers while mine hits only your estates: "you should give that swindler a raise, mine's a bum".

Similarly, you Tactician on turn 5 into a platinum: "wow!".

Also, I can't remember the last time I lost to a level <20 player based solely on my opponent's good luck.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »

I will 'gg' on my turn as a way of saying 'I will end the game this turn, you can stop thinking about your next turn'.
I'll often 'gg' on my opponent's turn as a way of saying "if you hadn't noticed it, you have a win on the table".
Then i feel really bad when i'm in the middle of typing it and they finish their turn without bothering to win.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.