Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118713 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »

Any one else have plans?  Ruby or Sapphire for you all?

I ordered Ruby, although I'm regretting it a bit since I think I want to train a (Mega) Sableye. I'll probably go either Treecho or Mudkip. Maybe I should do the Fire-type starter for once, but they usually just don't appeal to me as much.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »

I have one week of waiting left. And guess what's out on the same day!

I don't know.  Trying to find it online but I think most sources are American.  Umm, Smash Bros for Wii?

Will you get ORAS, and if so, which one?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2014, 05:02:48 pm »
+2

Any one else have plans?  Ruby or Sapphire for you all?

I ordered Ruby, although I'm regretting it a bit since I think I want to train a (Mega) Sableye. I'll probably go either Treecho or Mudkip. Maybe I should do the Fire-type starter for once, but they usually just don't appeal to me as much.

You should be able to get Sableye easy enough over GTS, and apparently the mega stones aren't version exclusive?  I'm not sure though.

My favourite starters for the first three gens (purely from design) have been Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treecko.  Fourth gen was an anomaly; I really like all of them.  When I played through Pearl I chose Piplup, but the world turtle concept is still one of my favourites ever and the Wukong-inspired Chimchar line really appeals to me as well.  Gen V was more of a disappointment, though I like the Oshawott line well enough.  And I'm still not that certain about the sixth gen starters.  They're all alright.  I like Delphox's concept a fair bit, and Greninja does have a lot going for it, but that's mostly because I like Protean and Mat Block a lot. :P

Gameplay wise, Sceptile does bother me a little.  His physical move pool is so good but his special stat is so much better.  I guess there's always Swords Dance, or the option to go mixed.

Edit: speling
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:14:11 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2014, 05:32:08 pm »

You should be able to get Sableye easy enough over GTS, and apparently the mega stones aren't version exclusive?  I'm not sure though.

Sure, but I think it'll be much easier to get a Prankster, max-stats Sableye if I can use the DexNav to catch in it myself. And I figure Prankster will be nice to have so that Sableye can still go first on the turn it mega evolves. Maybe to use Confuse Ray or its new move Quash. Hmm… tentative moveset: Payback, Metal Burst, Pain Split, Quash. Or maybe Recover would be better than Pain Split? Hard to say no to Pain Split on something with 50 base HP and >100 base defenses. I guess I'll try to breed Sableye with Metal Burst, Feint, Sucker Punch, and Flatter, just to keep my options open.

After a very small amount of consideration, obviously I'll choose Sceptile over Swampert. Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon with Lightning Rod. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2014, 05:35:12 pm »
+2

What's the point of using Quash outside of doubles...

The number 1 reason to use Sableye is Prankster + Will-o-Wisp. With a turn 1 Prankster, you can still fire off a burn.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:38:57 pm by dondon151 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2014, 05:47:18 pm »

Sure, but I think it'll be much easier to get a Prankster, max-stats Sableye if I can use the DexNav to catch in it myself. And I figure Prankster will be nice to have so that Sableye can still go first on the turn it mega evolves. Maybe to use Confuse Ray or its new move Quash. Hmm… tentative moveset: Payback, Metal Burst, Pain Split, Quash. Or maybe Recover would be better than Pain Split? Hard to say no to Pain Split on something with 50 base HP and >100 base defenses. I guess I'll try to breed Sableye with Metal Burst, Feint, Sucker Punch, and Flatter, just to keep my options open.

After a very small amount of consideration, obviously I'll choose Sceptile over Swampert. Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon with Lightning Rod. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

Ahh, good point about the DexNav stuff.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »

What's the point of using Quash outside of doubles...

There isn't one. I pretty much only play Doubles. If I do train a Sableye, it will be for a Doubles team.

The number 1 reason to use Sableye is Prankster + Will-o-Wisp. With a turn 1 Prankster, you can still fire off a burn.

Ah, good point. My Mega Banette (which would be on the same team) has Prankster and Will-O-Wisp already, but it still might be the best bet for the Mega Sableye. Thanks!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2014, 03:19:08 am »

So it turns out the event Beldum has Steven as its OT, so you can't nickname it.  This is very disappointing to me.  If I keep it with me through to the end, it'll definitely be as part of a rotating team of more than 6. 

In any case, I did soft reset on both my Treecko and Beldum until they were probably above average (it's hard to tell at lv 5).  I ended up with a female Naive Treecko and a Lonely Beldum... and both are "somewhat vain".  Huh. :P

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 24, 2014, 01:18:07 am »
+1

So it turns out the event Beldum has Steven as its OT, so you can't nickname it.  This is very disappointing to me.  If I keep it with me through to the end, it'll definitely be as part of a rotating team of more than 6. 
They really should update the rule to allow you to nickname pokemon that haven't been nicknamed yet.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 24, 2014, 04:22:46 pm »
+1

The DexNav is evil.  EVIL.  I'm walking down the route and it beeps at me, and now I am compelled to turn around to see what's hiding in that patch of grass.  I feel like I have to check even if I have no intention of catching it.  I passed on a Tailow that knew Brave Bird because I already had a Tailow and didn't want to waste pokeballs that I might need for other special DexNav pokemon.  I'm about 5 hours in and I only just made it to Rustboro.

In other news, my Beldum is level 11 and won't listen to me anymore.  But I caught a Slakoth at level 15, which is higher than anything else in my party.  Unfortunately, it was a special one with the egg move Snore, which is much less useful than the move it replaced -- Yawn.  Still, I will sub him in for Beldum at least until I get the badge.

The rest of my team is a Zigzagoon, who is with me mostly because of Pickup (and partially because of adorableness); Surskit with the egg move Fell Stinger (which replaced Bubble, sadly) which I am using for novelty; and a Cascoon and a Silcoon which I am only going to carry until they evolve.

Also, for future reference, this is apparently a secret base filled with lv 100 Blissey that only know Healing Wish.  For level grinding!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 24, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

The DexNav is evil.  EVIL.  I'm walking down the route and it beeps at me, and now I am compelled to turn around to see what's hiding in that patch of grass.  I feel like I have to check even if I have no intention of catching it.

I know what you mean. Luckily, the DexNav has a little red exclamation point in the center of the magnifying glass if the Pokémon is really rare (e.g. it has 3 max IVs and a Hidden Ability, etc.) You could limit yourself to only investigating those.

Also, for future reference, this is apparently a secret base filled with lv 100 Blissey that only know Healing Wish.  For level grinding!

Nice, thanks!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 24, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »
+1

I'm about to challenge the 4th gym. Team right now is Sceptile, Manectric, Graveler, Masquerain, Gardevoir, and Linoone. Linoone is quickly becoming the HM slave, although I guess I'll want something that can learn Fly as well once I get HM02.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Looking at serebii.net, I'm a bit disappointed that even with all the postgame stuff, there will still be Pokémon that I can't get the Hidden Ability for without doing some Friend Safari bullshit. But maybe those won't be the ones I want to train anyhow. At least I can finally get my Rain Dish Tentacruel in Omega Ruby.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 24, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »

Will it have the red exclamation for shinies as well?  I noticed the exclamation mark thing when I approached the Brave Bird Taillow, but you still have to be close to the patches before it gives you any information, right?

Do you have Linoone for pickup, like I will?  I read somewhere that you'll be able to summon Lati@s to fly you where you want to go, so that's one HM you could leave off the team.  But I guess it depends on when you gain the power to make Lati@s your chauffeur.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:52 am »

Will it have the red exclamation for shinies as well?

I noticed the exclamation mark thing when I approached the Brave Bird Taillow, but you still have to be close to the patches before it gives you any information, right?

You have to get close before it tells you specifics, but if there are enough things the game thinks is interesting about the Pokémon, there will be a red exclamation mark in the center of the reddish magnifying glass overlay right when the Pokémon appears.

I have no idea if it has them for shinies. I would hope so.

Do you have Linoone for pickup, like I will?

No, that's what a smart person would have done. For some reason I'm raising a Gluttony Linoone, like an idiot. At least won't accidentally have items appear on it that would prevent it from stealing with Covet.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2014, 03:56:50 am »

Oh, I just want to say that I thought the Float Stone joke was hilarious.  Did anybody else notice it?

I think it was in the "apartment building" for Devon Corp employees.  There's an Ace Trainer that gives you a Float Stone (halves the weight of the pokemon that holds it).  If you visit him afterwards, there is a Hiker instead and he says that he suddenly gained a lot of weight for some reason.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 28, 2014, 03:25:10 am »

Started playing Alpha Sapphire. Chose Treecko as my starter since luliin wanted Mudkip and we allready got Torchic in X&Y. Will probably switch him out for something more fun later. I tend to use monsters that I think look interesting when playing through the game. Which usually means "bad" ones. I plan to evolve my Poochyena and most likely my Surskit as well. I was hoping to be able to get my hands on a Weedle, but it turns out it might not be that easy...

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 04, 2014, 02:31:11 am »

Getting closer. Took a small break from the main story as I got the National Dex. Stopped by the Safari Zone to get a Kakuna. EV-training my little Weedle to become a mean Mega Beedrill now. After that, I guess it's time for the Elite Four.

Also, getting Kyogre turned out to be a pretty unfun experience. I didn't want a bad nature in case I MIGHT get the idea to play some Ubers again. But that cutscene before you got to fight him, coupled with Aqua Ring, uncatchiness of legendaries, me originally wanting him in a Premier Ball, and the cutscene after you catch him before you can check his nature made it tedious. In the end, I gave up on the Premier Ball and just went with my Master Ball. I usually save it for no reason, but I didn't really have the patience for it this time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 04, 2014, 04:09:16 am »

For the cover legendaries, you can knock them out and then catch them after the story is over.  At that time, there is no cutscene so it's much easier.

Also, you can use a Shedinja with False Swipe and Heal Block versus Kyogre, who can't hurt it at all.  Groudon is tougher... something with Worry Seed, to start...

Anyway, I've played about 20 hours and only have 2 badges. :P

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 04, 2014, 04:59:59 am »
+2

I wasn't sure you could knock them out, and I didn't really think about checking if you could. Either way, my Kyogre sits in a Master Ball and I probably won't touch him again.

I've run through the game trying to catch every new monster. I'm not that fond of third gen in general, so I wanted to get to the post game.

Also, would anyone be interested in running/playing a f.ds Pokémon tournament? It could be as serious or casual as we want it.

Also, I hate the Smogon tiers. I remember back in the day when they made fun of Edgar-clause. Now it feels like they're getting closer and closer to it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 08, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »

I think the Smogon tiers are the best we have, unless you really enjoy playing Anything Goes. And gen VI bans are really nothing at all resembling Edgar Clause, lol...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 08, 2014, 04:20:32 pm »
+3

I think the Smogon tiers are the best we have, unless you really enjoy playing Anything Goes. And gen VI bans are really nothing at all resembling Edgar Clause, lol...

The second biggest problem with Smogon rules (not just tiers, but all rules) is that everything gets grandfathered over from one gen to the next. Stuff like OHKO clause, Evasion clause, and Sleep Clause are relics of the past, but there's no way the old guard at Smogon will ever repeal them. That would make the game "less competitive".

As for the "tiers", those may very well be the best tiers for gameplay in their crazy, archaic 6v6 Singles game. But (this is the biggest problem with Smogon's rules), 6v6 Singles is a pretty silly way to play Pokemon these days. GameFreak isn't trying to balance the game for that format at all. Rather, they're assuming 3v3 Singles (with team preview). The most in-your-face example is the omnipresence of Stealth Rock in Smogon's ruleset. With so many Pokemon in your roster, switching is way more often the best move, so entry hazards become ultra-important. This in turn means that a bunch of Pokemon that are weak to Rock-type attacks just automatically get way worse.

EDIT: Basically, while billing itself as being the premier site for competitive Pokemon, Smogon has ceased playing the game as it is meant to be played. The equivalent would be if most of f.DS conversation were dominated with talk about a variant of Dominion that had no limit on actions or buys. Everybody on the site would just assume that, unless otherwise stated, that was the game being discussed. And we would have a few cards that were banned (like Copper or Gardens to avoid that combo) and lots of the existing cards that give +Actions and +Buys would be put into a lower "tier" for players who got sick of games where each player spammed non-terminal Torturers until someone won. And of course some cards (like Village) would never see use at all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:31:05 pm by LastFootnote »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 08, 2014, 05:14:35 pm »

Basically, while billing itself as being the premier site for competitive Pokemon, Smogon has ceased playing the game as it is meant to be played.

I don't know how you are so confident that Smogon "has ceased playing the game as it is meant to be played." Do you work for Game Freak?

I don't buy the argument that Game Freak is trying to balance the format for 3v3 singles. 3v3 singles is even more chaotic than 6v6 singles. There is no evidence to support this assertion; Game Freak has been doing 3v3 singles since Pokemon Stadium and it has been doing 6v6 singles since RBY. Somehow, a format in which switching is important is "a pretty silly way to play Pokemon." Dude, do you even Pokemon? Switching is one of the most important mechanics that allow a player to avoid a direct matchup in which one Pokemon will certainly lose.

(Actually, the strongest evidence is that Game Freak is "balancing" Pokemon for 4v4 doubles, because all official tournaments since, like, 2006 have been 4v4 doubles. But I really don't see what beef you have with Smogon making tier lists for 6v6 singles, especially since those tier lists apply only for 6v6 singles anyway and not for other formats like VGC or 6v6 doubles.)

The second biggest problem with Smogon rules (not just tiers, but all rules) is that everything gets grandfathered over from one gen to the next. Stuff like OHKO clause, Evasion clause, and Sleep Clause are relics of the past, but there's no way the old guard at Smogon will ever repeal them. That would make the game "less competitive".

Um, how is this a problem? OHKOs and Evasion have been fundamentally unchanged since their inception, and Sleep Clause is not "a relic of the past." You've made assertions without evidence, so I'll dismiss them without evidence, thanks.

EDIT: Basically, while billing itself as being the premier site for competitive Pokemon, Smogon has ceased playing the game as it is meant to be played. The equivalent would be if most of f.DS conversation were dominated with talk about a variant of Dominion that had no limit on actions or buys. Everybody on the site would just assume that, unless otherwise stated, that was the game being discussed. And we would have a few cards that were banned (like Copper or Gardens to avoid that combo) and lots of the existing cards that give +Actions and +Buys would be put into a lower "tier" for players who got sick of games where each player spammed non-terminal Torturers until someone won. And of course some cards (like Village) would never see use at all.

lol, this is rich; the Dominion analogy doesn't hold because Dominion and Pokemon feature completely different mechanics, and this is entirely not representative of Smogon anyway. Try harder next time!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:19:19 pm by dondon151 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 08, 2014, 05:37:30 pm »

I don't actually play competitive pokemon, but doesn't the matchmaking system in gen VI allow you to play 6v6 singles?  With like, a ladder and everything?  And Pokemon as an RPG video game is primarily singles, so there is that too.

I get that Game Freak prefers competitive doubles but Smogon is not at all like Dominion with unlimited actions and buys.  There is no official avenue to play Dominion that way, and there is no major game mode with that kind of ruleset.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 08, 2014, 05:58:04 pm »

I don't know how you are so confident that Smogon "has ceased playing the game as it is meant to be played." Do you work for Game Freak?

I don't buy the argument that Game Freak is trying to balance the format for 3v3 singles. 3v3 singles is even more chaotic than 6v6 singles. There is no evidence to support this assertion; Game Freak has been doing 3v3 singles since Pokemon Stadium and it has been doing 6v6 singles since RBY. Somehow, a format in which switching is important is "a pretty silly way to play Pokemon." Dude, do you even Pokemon? Switching is one of the most important mechanics that allow a player to avoid a direct matchup in which one Pokemon will certainly lose.

I am willing to bet that you haven't played much competitive 3v3 Singles if you're claiming that it's even more chaotic than 6v6. It's definitely different, but it's not really more luck-based. You still have 6 Pokemon to choose from; you just have to choose three of them based on your opponent's team and what you think they're likely to use against your team. Thing is, even if it is a bit more luck-based, there's still plenty of skill involved and luck evens out when playing on a ladder.

All the games that have been used as the tournament platforms for Pokemon (Stadium, Colosseum, Battle Revolution) have used 3v3 for their Singles games. Once tournament play moved to the portable games in 5th gen, that format became available there to. As mentioned, stuff like Stealth Rock should be a pretty big hint that 6v6 isn't what GameFreak cares about. "Gee, let's introduce a move that just cripples a bunch of Pokemon and is so powerful that it gets used in every match." GameFreak changes a bunch of existing mechanics between generations. 6th gen alone tweaked the power of 50 moves! It dramatically changed the critical hit mechanics! It nerfed weather-causing Abilities down to 5 turns! Etc., etc. If you accept that GameFreak made all these minor balancing tweaks but left Stealth Rock (a move that cuts Charizard's HP in half when it switches in) unchanged just for lulz, you're kidding yourself. They left it alone because in 3v3—a format where you can't afford to switch constantly—Stealth Rock is a pretty niche move that you mostly use in tandem with phazing, etc.

I'm not claiming that "a format in which switching is important" is "a pretty silly way to play Pokemon". There's still switching in 3v3 Singles. It's still important. It's just not >%75 of your turns.

(Actually, the strongest evidence is that Game Freak is "balancing" Pokemon for 4v4 doubles, because all official tournaments since, like, 2006 have been 4v4 doubles. But I really don't see what beef you have with Smogon making tier lists for 6v6 singles, especially since those tier lists apply only for 6v6 singles anyway and not for other formats like VGC or 6v6 doubles.)

Yes, the format GameFreak seems to care most about is 4v4 Doubles (thank goodness), but my comments were made just within the context of Single Battles.

The only "beef" I have is that the entire English-speaking Pokemon internet community has accepted Smogon's rules as the de facto way to play the game. Really that is GameFreak's fault, though, for not providing a strong push for a single format from the very beginning. Other than that, I have no issue with Smogonites playing by whatever silly rules they want. I just reserve the right to call them silly.

Um, how is this a problem? OHKOs and Evasion have been fundamentally unchanged since their inception, and Sleep Clause is not "a relic of the past." You've made assertions without evidence, so I'll dismiss them without evidence, thanks.

OHKOs and Evasion haven't changed, but all the other game mechanics have. It's about context. There are a ton of moves that bypass accuracy checks and most of them aren't damaging moves. Evasion-raising thereby promotes the use of more interesting strategies like Perish Song, etc. OHKOs may have been crazy back in the day, but do you know how much power creep there's been in Pokemon since then? Probably you do. OHKOs were banned back when Hyper Beam was a reasonable option on Gyarados and Life Orb and Choice items didn't exist!

Sleep mechanics changed a lot between 4th and 5th gens and there are more ways to fight sleep with every new generation. Even if you don't have a counter, Sleep doesn't seem so bad now. IF the sleep-inducing move hits, there's a 1 in 3 chance that you wake up after one turn of sleep, so the sleep user netted nothing.

The equivalent would be if most of f.DS conversation were dominated with talk about a variant of Dominion that had no limit on actions or buys. Everybody on the site would just assume that, unless otherwise stated, that was the game being discussed. And we would have a few cards that were banned (like Copper or Gardens to avoid that combo) and lots of the existing cards that give +Actions and +Buys would be put into a lower "tier" for players who got sick of games where each player spammed non-terminal Torturers until someone won. And of course some cards (like Village) would never see use at all.

lol, this is rich; the Dominion analogy doesn't hold because Dominion and Pokemon feature completely different mechanics, and this is entirely not representative of Smogon anyway. Try harder next time!

I think it's a fine analogy. Yes, the mechanics are completely different. That's why it's an analogy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 08, 2014, 06:23:42 pm »
+1

The only "beef" I have is that the entire English-speaking Pokemon internet community has accepted Smogon's rules as the de facto way to play the game. Really that is GameFreak's fault, though, for not providing a strong push for a single format from the very beginning. Other than that, I have no issue with Smogonites playing by whatever silly rules they want. I just reserve the right to call them silly.

I'm not sure about that.  From what I've seen, Smogon has as many haters as it has fans, and the hate seems hyperbolic in the same way that fans are overly supportive.  Smogon meta is interesting in its own right, there is decent rationale behind their bans, and afaik it's a product of community discussion, not some sort of dictatorial decree.

In Dominion analogy, the argument around Smogon seems more like the argument over enabling the VP tracker.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.