Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118680 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2014, 04:16:46 pm »

Yeah I tried to avoid special attacks but the physical attacks he has are pretty weak. I'll try to get Night Slash but to get Ice Punch I need 32 BP and there's no way I'm ever setting foot in the battle frontier again. Fuck that.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:40 pm »

Yeah I tried to avoid special attacks but the physical attacks he has are pretty weak. I'll try to get Night Slash but to get Ice Punch I need 32 BP and there's no way I'm ever setting foot in the battle frontier again. Fuck that.

Is there a facility there where you battle using rented Pokémon? I've usually found that entertaining.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2014, 07:37:29 pm »

I love following this thread because it amazes me how much there is in the pokemon games that I never paid attention too. I always just played the game getting 6 pokemon and keeping the coolest attack moves. Never EV training or even knowing things like that existed. If I had more patience I would be really interested in doing competitive pokemon battles but I just don't have the patience to level up all those pokemon with the perfect stats.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2014, 11:31:40 pm »

So after spending hours upon hours upon hours at the worst place ever that I hate so much because it's really terrible and awful in every way, AKA the battle fronteir (yeah I'm not even capitalizing it or spelling it correctly because I fucking hate it so much), I got a Razor Claw and evolved my Sneasel into a Weavile andddd.... it still sucks. I really surprised myself and beat the Elite Four and now there's only one thing left to do; wipe that smug look off Red's face. That dude thinks he's hot shit, he wont even talk to me for Christ's sake! Just say "hi"! Something! Anyway here's my team:

Rhydon Lv. 61
Ninetales Lv. 61
Lugia Lv. 61
Weavile Lv. 62 Likes to relax
Gyarados Lv. 62
Ampharos Lv. 63

Gyarados and Ampharos have pretty much carried me through the whole game so I'll probably be relying on them the most in this battle.

Go get yourself a Tyranitar!  Tyranitar is a beast.

Hey, you abandoned your starter pokemon. :(

I find it interesting how almost every player going through Johto ends up using Ampharos.  OK, it's not that surprising because Mareep is one of the more interesting pokemon you can get early, but still.

I have thousands of extra BP in Pokemon XY.  I look forward to the Frontier in ORAS.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2014, 11:34:39 pm »
+2

Weavile learns Night Slash at L35, so you're going to have to relearn it. Its options for physical Ice-type moves are limited to Ice Punch and Ice Shard, sadly, and Ice Shard requires breeding.

Swords Dance is a passable option on in-game sets to increase Weavile's attack stat. Brick Break and Low Kick are pretty much its only good coverage options; the latter is a move tutor move, so that's probably unpalatable to you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:17 pm »

It's pretty great coverage though.  Fighting + Dark hits everything in gen IV neutral or super effective except for Heracross and Croagunk/Toxicroak.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2014, 03:00:59 am »

Weavile learns Night Slash at L35, so you're going to have to relearn it. Its options for physical Ice-type moves are limited to Ice Punch and Ice Shard, sadly, and Ice Shard requires breeding.

Swords Dance is a passable option on in-game sets to increase Weavile's attack stat. Brick Break and Low Kick are pretty much its only good coverage options; the latter is a move tutor move, so that's probably unpalatable to you.

Brick Break also requires BP so that's a no for me. I got Night Slash for Weavile and he also knows Avalance, Strength, and Poison Jab. That's about as good as he's gonna get I think.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2014, 04:24:41 am »

I love following this thread because it amazes me how much there is in the pokemon games that I never paid attention too. I always just played the game getting 6 pokemon and keeping the coolest attack moves. Never EV training or even knowing things like that existed. If I had more patience I would be really interested in doing competitive pokemon battles but I just don't have the patience to level up all those pokemon with the perfect stats.

There are online simulators if you like the idea of competitive battling but not tedious grinding.  Try http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2014, 11:16:19 pm »

So the Pokemon World Championship was in DC this year. If I was into Pokemon at the time I might've gone... ok probably not.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2014, 12:01:14 pm »
+2

Hey! I did it! I beat Red and now I can go on doing other things with my life. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll get to the other games I have someday but I need a big long break from Pokemon for a while.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:06:26 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 10, 2014, 12:14:11 pm »
+2

Hey! I did it! I beat Red and now I can go on doing other things with my life. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll get to the other games I have someday but I need a big long break from Pokemon for a while.

Finally, freedom! Fly away and don't look back! You're free! FREEEEEEE!!!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 10, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »
+1

Finally, freedom! Fly away and don't look back! You're free! FREEEEEEE!!!

I don't even want to post how many hours I put into that game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »

Now that the saga of AndrewisFTTW has ended, it's time for me to make some educated guesses about what other Mega Evolutions will be in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Predictions

So far there have been no new Electric-type megas. I'm pulling for Mega Luxray. Luxray has appeal, but it's just so lackluster in battle. Fingers crossed for Mega Luxray being Electric/Dark, which was the type combo I was hoping it was back in 4th gen when it was revealed.

It's interesting to me how we've seen quite a few mega evolutions for Pokémon that have have had belated alternate evolutions. For example, Slowpoke evolves into Slowbro, but then in 2nd gen it gained the alternate evolution to Slowking. Now we have Mega Slowbro. Snorunt evolved into Glalie, but later gained the alternate evolution to Froslass. Now we have Mega Glalie. Kirlia evolved into Gardevoir, then later gained an alternate evolution into Gallade. Well, both Gardevoir and Gallade now have mega evolutions, but you get the idea. Anyway, I'm hoping for Mega Poliwrath and Mega Vileplume.

Other than starters (Venusaur and Sceptile), the only Grass-type mega evolution is Abomasnow. In addition to Mega Vileplume, I'd really like to have Mega Parasect and Mega Sunflora. Those need more love.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2014, 06:53:25 pm »
+1

I'm hoping for a Mega Spinda.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2014, 09:04:39 pm »
+1

As long as we're talking about Pokemon that need some love, how about Mega Octillery. Remember, Octillery? Back in Pokemon Stadium 2, that Pokemon just screamed "forgettable". At least, it did for me.

Like LFN, I'd like to see megas for Vileplume and Parasect.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2014, 09:36:32 pm »

Octillery is a pretty awesome concept, since it has decent attacking stats on both sides of the spectrum and an incredibly diverse movepool. I feel like they sort of re-did the concept in the form of Clawitzer, though. It doesn't attack from both sides, but it's slow and it has an ability that complements its varied movepool and special attack stat.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »

I agree that Mega Octillery would be cool. At least it has Moody.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:16 pm »

Isn't Moody still banned on Smogon...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2014, 10:32:46 pm »

Isn't Moody still banned on Smogon...

Eh, who cares. Smogon's ruleset is so far removed from the official one.

To be fair, it was probably a reasonable ban in 5th gen, when you could alternate Protect and Substitute until your stats were sky high. Substitute got such a massive nerf in 6th gen, though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2014, 03:41:02 pm »

So, two days before Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire release. The new feature that allows you to search for rare versions of Pokémon in the wild looks very cool, and I'm hoping it completely replaces the annoying Friend Safari as the way to get Hidden Abilities and maxed-out IVs. If that's the case, I'll probably train at least one real competitive Doubles team this gen. I already trained 2 Pokémon in X/Y, so only 4 more to go.

So, here is my question for you: how many mega evolutions should I put on my team? "But LastFootnote," you may be saying, "you can only have one mega evolution per team!" Not quite. You can only activate one mega evolution per battle, but there's nothing stopping you from fielding a team of six Pokémon all holding their respective mega stones. That would be pretty dumb, but I'm trying to illustrate the point. More importantly, in the official Doubles rule set, you only bring four Pokémon into each match. My intuition tells me that having two Mega Pokémon to choose from might offer me more flexibility than having just one. With one, I almost have to include it in every match, but with two I have the choice. Probably I am never fielding both in the same battle, but even with that restriction it sounds tempting.

I'm aiming to create a sort of Poison/Ghost themed team, and right now it has Scolipede and Mega Banette. I'm thinking of using a Mega Sableye (or a Mega Gengar if Mega Sableye ends up sucking). Opinions?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2014, 04:41:09 pm »

So, two days before Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire release. The new feature that allows you to search for rare versions of Pokémon in the wild looks very cool, and I'm hoping it completely replaces the annoying Friend Safari as the way to get Hidden Abilities and maxed-out IVs. If that's the case, I'll probably train at least one real competitive Doubles team this gen. I already trained 2 Pokémon in X/Y, so only 4 more to go.

So, here is my question for you: how many mega evolutions should I put on my team? "But LastFootnote," you may be saying, "you can only have one mega evolution per team!" Not quite. You can only activate one mega evolution per battle, but there's nothing stopping you from fielding a team of six Pokémon all holding their respective mega stones. That would be pretty dumb, but I'm trying to illustrate the point. More importantly, in the official Doubles rule set, you only bring four Pokémon into each match. My intuition tells me that having two Mega Pokémon to choose from might offer me more flexibility than having just one. With one, I almost have to include it in every match, but with two I have the choice. Probably I am never fielding both in the same battle, but even with that restriction it sounds tempting.

I'm aiming to create a sort of Poison/Ghost themed team, and right now it has Scolipede and Mega Banette. I'm thinking of using a Mega Sableye (or a Mega Gengar if Mega Sableye ends up sucking). Opinions?

What new feature is that?  Sneaking up on pokemon?  I thought that was just a more complicated version of the shaking grass in XY.

No thoughts on competitive stuffs.  I know a fair amount, but I don't keep up with the meta or have any real experience with it.  It remains to be seen how the game will shake out with ORAS.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2014, 05:02:02 pm »
+2

What new feature is that?  Sneaking up on pokemon?  I thought that was just a more complicated version of the shaking grass in XY.

Apparently it's way better than that. From what I understand, your Pokédex will let you seek out a specific type of Pokémon and the more of them you see/catch, the better the ones you sneak up on will be, sometimes having better stats, egg moves, and Hidden Abilities. The Dex will apparently tell you what each individual Pokémon that you could sneak up on will have, so you can decide whether it's worth engaging and catching it.

EDIT: Here's some info: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/18/pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-one-coolest-new-features-yet/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »

OK, that is pretty snazzy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2014, 04:39:13 pm »

I picked up Omega Ruby, though I haven't started playing it yet.  I plan to start with Treecko.  I just like Sceptile's design a lot, aesthetically.  I also intend to use the shiny event Beldum in my main party, since I haven't actually raised a Metagross in any of my play-throughs and the Metagross line has a fantastic shiny colour scheme.

Other than that, I'll see what I come across.  I'm interested in getting an Altaria or Flygon, maybe both... but then I'll have many dragons.  I may try to keep more than 6 in active rotation as I play through the story.

Any one else have plans?  Ruby or Sapphire for you all?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2014, 04:52:02 pm »

I have one week of waiting left. And guess what's out on the same day!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 22 queries.