Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118683 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:29 am »

The mega stone in Lumiose gets cheaper as your reputation goes up. I think I got it for 10K or something.
I noticed. I wonder how cheap it is now that I beat the elite 4 + champion.

I believe the reputation only goes up from your interaction within Lumiose, e.g. riding cabs, dining in restaurants, buying from shops. The easy way to raise it quickly is to go to the pokeball shop and buy a bunch of them one at a time.
I thought that was style points. Or is that what you mean?

Sure. I don't remember what people call it, but that sounds right too.

@Andrew, Delibird is pretty weak. Yes, evolve Vulpix. Also evolve Togetic if you can, and teach it Air Slash at the nice relearner's. Does it have Serene Grace?

Replace Onix with a Larvitar and evolve it at least once.

FWIW, I've always favoured Arcanine and Houndoom over Ninetales.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:56:08 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2014, 11:55:02 am »
+1

UPDATE:

I beat the Elite Four with some luck but Lance's Dragonite beat me down mercilessly. My Onix is totally useless so I think it's time to replace him. I've got a Delibird that I think might be good. Also my Vulpix is getting destroyed, should I replace him as well? Evolve him? What do you guys think I should I have?

Lugia Lv. 48
Ampharos Lv. 44
Togetic Lv. 41
Gyarados Lv. 41
Vulpix Lv. 40
Rocky (Onix) Lv. 40

Before evolving Vulpix into Ninetales, make sure it has Flamethrower. It learns Extrasensory (a Psychic attack) at level 44, so you may want to do that first, but it's not essential. After evolving it, assuming you have some Heart Scales, find the Move Reminder and maybe teach it Confuse Ray and/or Nasty Plot. EDIT: Apparently the Move Reminder is in Blackthorn City in a house west of the PokeMart.

Onix can evolve into Steelix, but it requires a Metal Coat and a trade. Delibird is just plain awful. If you want an Ice-type to help you take out the dragons, a Lapras is probably your best bet. You can find one swimming in Unioin Cave (like, you should be able to see it on the map), but I think only on Friday so you better get a move on.

@eHalcyon: I'm pretty sure HeartGold and SoulSilver don't give you the stuff you need to evolve into any of the 4th-gen evolutions until after the Elite Hour. So, no Togekiss.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:58:44 am by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:19 pm »

Mm, you may be right. I know Togekiss is only in the post game of Diamond/Pearl but wasn't sure for HGSS.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »

@Andrew, Delibird is pretty weak. Yes, evolve Vulpix. Also evolve Togetic if you can, and teach it Air Slash at the nice relearner's. Does it have Serene Grace?

Replace Onix with a Larvitar and evolve it at least once.

FWIW, I've always favoured Arcanine and Houndoom over Ninetales.

Haven't seen Larvitar, Arcanine, or Houndoom anywhere.

Before evolving Vulpix into Ninetales, make sure it has Flamethrower. It learns Extrasensory (a Psychic attack) at level 44, so you may want to do that first, but it's not essential. After evolving it, assuming you have some Heart Scales, find the Move Reminder and maybe teach it Confuse Ray and/or Nasty Plot. EDIT: Apparently the Move Reminder is in Blackthorn City in a house west of the PokeMart.

Onix can evolve into Steelix, but it requires a Metal Coat and a trade. Delibird is just plain awful. If you want an Ice-type to help you take out the dragons, a Lapras is probably your best bet. You can find one swimming in Unioin Cave (like, you should be able to see it on the map), but I think only on Friday so you better get a move on.

Vulpix has Flamethrower AND Fire Blast. Not sure about the Heart Scales. I'll look for the Lapras.

EDIT: Apparently it's Saturday? I guess I missed the Lapras. Now what the hell do I do!?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:18:49 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2014, 10:00:57 pm »

Is there any crossover interest in Smash Bros 3DS? (I'd start a new thread but this one already has 3DS people in it)

I play pretty casually.  Haven't seen many people online.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »

Is there any crossover interest in Smash Bros 3DS? (I'd start a new thread but this one already has 3DS people in it)

Let it be known that I play Smash bros 3DS. My sister shares the 3DS with me though, so I'm not always the one who is online.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2014, 10:51:53 pm »

Now the Houndoom is giving me a lot of trouble. I just caught a Quagsire, should I get him up to speed?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 01, 2014, 02:24:54 am »
+1

Hmm... Larvitar are in Mt. Silver and in the Safari Zone, but they are rare in the latter and maybe you don't have access to the former yet.

I suppose you can't get Growlithe because they are the version exclusive corresponding to Vulpix.

You can find Houndour on Route 7 and in the Safari Zone.... oh, weird.  I thought you could get Houndour in Johto, but you have to wait.  Huh.

Since you have a Gyarados, you don't really need a Quagsire.  If you are finding Gyarados' damage inadequate, you might be using the wrong moveset.  Note that Gyarados has a great attack stat (base 125) but poor Sp. Atk (base 60), which means that Waterfall will usually do a lot more damage than Surf.  Gyarados also has access to Ice Fang, which could help against Lance's dragons.

Have you been catching pokemon as you go?  What do you have in your PC?  I really don't remember what options you have for your team. 

But you should just choose whatever pokemon you like best and just train them up a little. :)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 01, 2014, 03:39:02 am »

I play.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 01, 2014, 08:27:03 am »

Hmm... Larvitar are in Mt. Silver and in the Safari Zone, but they are rare in the latter and maybe you don't have access to the former yet.

I suppose you can't get Growlithe because they are the version exclusive corresponding to Vulpix.

You can find Houndour on Route 7 and in the Safari Zone.... oh, weird.  I thought you could get Houndour in Johto, but you have to wait.  Huh.

Since you have a Gyarados, you don't really need a Quagsire.  If you are finding Gyarados' damage inadequate, you might be using the wrong moveset.  Note that Gyarados has a great attack stat (base 125) but poor Sp. Atk (base 60), which means that Waterfall will usually do a lot more damage than Surf.  Gyarados also has access to Ice Fang, which could help against Lance's dragons.

Have you been catching pokemon as you go?  What do you have in your PC?  I really don't remember what options you have for your team. 

But you should just choose whatever pokemon you like best and just train them up a little. :)

I think I still don't understand the difference between Attack and Sp. Attack (and likewise Defence and Sp. Defence). That might be helpful.

Gyarados knows surf, blizzard, hydro pump, and I think something else. Dragon Pulse takes down all my Pokemon in one shot though.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2014, 08:42:56 am »
+7

Attack makes physical attacks do more damage.
Special Attack makes special attacks do more damage.
Defense makes physical attacks against you do less damage.
Special Defense makes special attacks against you do less damage.
Speed determines who goes first in a battle. Highest speed first. In case of a tie, I'm not sure who goes first, but you alternate every turn after that. It's pretty rare when you just play through the game.

If you check the info on a move and it has it's a physical move and is therefore affected by your Attack and the oppponent's Defense. If it has it's a special move. Affected by Special Attack and your opponent's Special Defense. If the move has a it's a non damaging move and doesn't care about either special/physical stats. Most of the time. ;)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2014, 08:43:53 am »
+2

I think I still don't understand the difference between Attack and Sp. Attack (and likewise Defence and Sp. Defence). That might be helpful.

Gyarados knows surf, blizzard, hydro pump, and I think something else. Dragon Pulse takes down all my Pokemon in one shot though.

It used to be very easy (!).  Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Dark, Ice and Dragon were special, and Flying, Steel, Fighting, Rock, Ground, Dragon, Ghost, Normal and Poison were physical.  Now it varies move by move and you just have to learn them.  Physical attacks depend on your Attack and your opponents Defense; Special attacks on your Special Attack and your opponents Special Defense.

All of your Gyarados' attacks are special, which means they're running off the weaker stat.  eHalcyon's suggestions of Waterfall and Ice Fang are good (although I don't know how you get either of these in game).

When physical/special went off type rather than specific move you had some interesting situations.  One is that Gyarados had no good moves of its own types.  Dragonite and Salamence had the same problem.  Gengar was particularly fun: it has huge Special Attack but it's Ghost/Poison typing was purely physical.  In Generation 3 it was quite popular to run physical Gengars with Shadow Ball/Focus Punch/Substitute/Thunderbolt to wreck the walls Skarmory and Blissey.

PPE: Lekkit has explained the stats in more detail.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 01, 2014, 08:56:20 am »
+3

I don't know if it has been explained already (edit: ninja'd), but let me try:

There are three categories of moves: physical, special, and status. If the attack isn't damaging, it falls in the later category (think Agility, Sleep Powder, Sand Attack, Substitute, etc.).
If the attack is damaging, then it can be either physical or special. Most attacks that involve hitting the other pokemon are physical, and most attacks that involve some sort of energy (fire, electricity, sometimes water, etc.) are special. I'm not very acquainted with the newer generations, but there should be a small symbol next to the move in the status screen of your pokemon that indicates what category of move they are.
If the move is physical, the damage inflicted depends on the physical attack of the attacker, and the physical defense of the defending pokemon. Likewise, if the move is special, the damage inflicted depends on the special attack of the attacker, and the special defense of the defender. So you want to teach your pokemon moves that use their higher stat, unless both are close to each other, in which case you might want to teach them both to exploit the lower defense stat of the pokemon you are facing.

As an example, Onyx has an extremely high physical defense, which means he can somewhat take a beating from ground pokemon and still stand, despite being weak to that type. However, he has a low special defense, so he won't last very long against Psychic attacks, despite not being weak against it (e.g. my default starting strategy in pokemon yellow was to catch a Caterpie and evolve it into a Butterfree so that he would learn confusion; poor move choices by the AI usually meant that it would defeat Brock's Onyx before the second rock throw).
Similarly, you could teach thunderbolt to, say, a Primeape, but he will still (probably) do more damage against a water type pokemon using regular fighting moves, since his special attack is so much lower than his physical attack. And so on.

It's not the most important thing, just check if your pokemon have very high physical / special attack, and teach them moves of that category.

PPED 2
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:30:56 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2014, 08:57:41 am »

Thanks guys, I have the HM Waterfall but I'm not sure I want to teach Gyardos two HMs (or maybe I can delete Surf at that hut). And I might've used Ice Fang already on somebody though maybe I can buy it in Goldenrod. As far as defence goes, I need to defend against Dragon Pulse somehow. I might keep the Quagsire around, I think he's better than Onix and it might helpful to have a ground Pokemon.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2014, 10:42:46 am »

Yes, the move deleter can remove HMs. Gyarados learns Ice Fang at lv 32. If it's too late, you should be able to get it back at the Move Reminder.

Before gen VI, only Steel type resists Dragon type.  Do you have access to any? Magneton, maybe?  Or just level up.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2014, 11:10:03 am »

Yes I have a Magneton, I just don't like spending hours training one Pokemon for one specific fight but if that's what I habe to do then so be it. I'm still trying to decidee whether evolving Vulpix is worth it or if I should just replace it with Quagsire or something else (maybe Magneton?)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2014, 11:16:10 am »

If you train anything enough, it'll be fine.

Evolve the Vulpix!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2014, 09:53:48 am »

Andrew's Soul Silver Update:

Somehow I managed to get past the Elite Four and the Kanto region was super easy. I caught Articuno somehow and I'd like to try and catch all the legendaries at some point though I need scary face or whatever to make sure the dogs don't run right? I also tried facing the Elite Four again and got my ass handed to me by his Lv. 61 Gardevoir so I need to counter that somehow. Here's my team right now:

Articuno Lv. 52 Likes to fight.
Lugia Lv. 55 Likes to relax.
Rhydon Lv. 56 Good endurance.
Ninetales Lv. 57 Impetuous and silly.
Gyarados Lv. 58 Hates to lose.
Ampharos Lv 61 Likes to thrash about.

EDIT: Snorlax knows Block and I just (re)taught him Yawn so that should be enough to catch some legendaries.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:02:35 am by AndrewisFTTW »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:21 pm »

Having way too much trouble catching Moltres. I get him to 1 or 2 HP, put him to sleep, and use a ton of Dusk Balls and no luck. I've had to restart the game a number of times.

Is there a benefit of having a pure Ice type Pokemon as opposed to Ice/Flying for example? And are the legendary birds more powerful than normal Pokemon? I'm thinking about replacing Articuno with Quagsire to have a ground type.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2014, 07:17:42 pm »

Legendary pokemons have better stats than non-legendary pokemons. I don't remember the details, but I think there are two tiers of legendaries, with the lower tier having the same stat sum than starter pokemon and "pseudo-legendaries" (Dragonite, Tiranitar, etc.), and the higher tier having better stats than anything else. So legendaries have an advantage over non-legendaries, but stat sum is not the only important thing. The exact stat spread is important, and even more important is the type(s) of the pokemon, and the moves it can learn.

Flying is not a very useful type, aside from the ability to learn flight. Whether Quagsire or Articuno is better depends on what you think your team is lacking. But Ice is a good offensive type, and Rhydon is already ground type.

I am biased in favour of Articuno though, he was inmensely useful back in Generation I because of the lack of Ice types back then.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2014, 07:26:39 pm »
+1

You can check websites like Bulbapedia or serebii to get a lot of info.  Articuno's BST (base stat total) is 580, which is on the higher end compared to most non-legendary pokemon.  But not all!  Dragonite and Tyranitar, for example, have 600 BST.  Not to mention, BST is not everything.  Wobbuffet has a BST of 405 but it was considered Uber in the gen IV competitive scene, at least on Smogon (the biggest online battling community).

"Power" is a tricky thing to measure; it depends on what role you want to fill.  Articuno isn't that great.  It's not very fast and its offense is only a bit above average.  Its stats are more defensively oriented, but Ice/Flying is not a good defensive typing.

A pure Ice type will have slightly different resistances and weaknesses compared to Ice/Flying.  Pure Ice resists Ice but is weak to Fighting.  Ice/Flying resists Bug and Grass and is immune to Ground, but is weak to Electric and 4x weak to Rock (as opposed to a regular 2x weakness for pure Ice).  Ice/Flying also gets flying STAB (same type attack bonus -- using a move of the pokemon's type gives it a 1.5x multiplier).

Your Rhydon is part ground type, just so you know. :P

All this said, you shouldn't worry too much about it for in-game battling.  Just use what you like!  Sometimes you can get some really surprising results.  For example, Pachirisu was widely considered to be a relatively weak Pikachu clone, but it played a critical role on the team of the 2014 world championships winner.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2014, 07:40:27 pm »
+1

Interesting stuff, thanks! And yeah I forgot about the Rhydon being part ground. I finally caught Moltres, I think the key is to continuously throw balls at him for 20 minutes and one will eventually stick. I guess I just need to train my ass off for the Elite Four. I'll check back in a couple days or so!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 06, 2014, 10:01:01 am »
+1

Wow. The Battle Frontier is the fucking worst.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 08, 2014, 11:51:06 am »

So after spending hours upon hours upon hours at the worst place ever that I hate so much because it's really terrible and awful in every way, AKA the battle fronteir (yeah I'm not even capitalizing it or spelling it correctly because I fucking hate it so much), I got a Razor Claw and evolved my Sneasel into a Weavile andddd.... it still sucks. I really surprised myself and beat the Elite Four and now there's only one thing left to do; wipe that smug look off Red's face. That dude thinks he's hot shit, he wont even talk to me for Christ's sake! Just say "hi"! Something! Anyway here's my team:

Rhydon Lv. 61
Ninetales Lv. 61
Lugia Lv. 61
Weavile Lv. 62 Likes to relax
Gyarados Lv. 62
Ampharos Lv. 63

Gyarados and Ampharos have pretty much carried me through the whole game so I'll probably be relying on them the most in this battle.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 08, 2014, 03:37:16 pm »
+1

If you're using Weavile, make sure that you're not using special attacks. Its attack stat is much higher. So like, if you have Dark Pulse, you should be using Night Slash instead. The strongest physical Ice-type move that Weavile learns is Ice Punch, which needs to be taught via move tutor.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.