Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118678 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2014, 06:39:49 pm »

Yeah the Onix isn't doing any good in that fight. I'm hanging around the Safari Zone right now and I just caught a Vulpix so maybe I'll get him up to speed and see how he does unless someone recommends using a fight or ground type instead.

Probably a Quagsire is your best bet. It shouldn't be too hard to find one, or to find a Wooper and evolve it at level 20. It's a Water/Ground type, so you can use Mud Shot or Mud Bomb on the Magnemites and then Surf on the Steelix.

You really have a lot of options. Quagsire and Vulpix both work; it basically depends on which you like better.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2014, 06:57:05 pm »

Yeah the Onix isn't doing any good in that fight. I'm hanging around the Safari Zone right now and I just caught a Vulpix so maybe I'll get him up to speed and see how he does unless someone recommends using a fight or ground type instead.

Probably a Quagsire is your best bet. It shouldn't be too hard to find one, or to find a Wooper and evolve it at level 20. It's a Water/Ground type, so you can use Mud Shot or Mud Bomb on the Magnemites and then Surf on the Steelix.

You really have a lot of options. Quagsire and Vulpix both work; it basically depends on which you like better.

Quagsire is stronger and is immune or resistant to all the gym leader's Pokémon's moves. Vulpix is weak to a Rock Throw and will take a beating from Thunderbolt. Long story short, your Vulpix will have to be WAY higher level than a Quagsire.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2014, 07:20:03 pm »

Ninetales does have pretty high special defense, so thunderbolt won't do much. Quagsire would be easier, but Ninetales is definitely doable.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2014, 07:21:41 pm »

Ninetales does have pretty high special defense, so thunderbolt won't do much. Quagsire would be easier, but Ninetales is definitely doable.

Ninetales means using a precious Fire Stone and then not learning whatever moves Vulpix would have learned on later levels.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2014, 07:27:00 pm »

Okay, you're right - forgot about getting the best moves. What do you think about my LCG (last page)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2014, 08:41:05 pm »

I'm designing a Pokemon LCG because the CCG is stupid and I'm not allowed to play video games. (It's purely for personal use - I know there's no chance of getting a license)

So here's my problem. I really dislike the "Fairy" type, but I don't want to get rid of it if it's too popular. Same thing with keeping the stats; as a designer, I want to give every Pokemon a reasonable benefit over the others, but I don't know how much people care about staying true to the stats and actual move effects. What do you guys think?

What's wrong with the Fairy type?  Fairies are great.

But you can do whatever you want.  It's just for your personal use, so what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »

I'm designing a Pokemon LCG because the CCG is stupid and I'm not allowed to play video games. (It's purely for personal use - I know there's no chance of getting a license)

So here's my problem. I really dislike the "Fairy" type, but I don't want to get rid of it if it's too popular. Same thing with keeping the stats; as a designer, I want to give every Pokemon a reasonable benefit over the others, but I don't know how much people care about staying true to the stats and actual move effects. What do you guys think?

But you can do whatever you want.  It's just for your personal use, so what does it matter what anyone else thinks?
Best of luck with your LCG.

I personally like fairy types too, and that's not just because I was able to easy mode through Pokemon X with a Sylveon that knew Moonblast. It is a strong type for a Pokemon to have.

Seriously, Sylveon slaughters like 75% of the opponents you face in Pokemon X.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2014, 09:45:32 pm »
+1

I personally like fairy types too, and that's not just because I was able to easy mode through Pokemon X with a Sylveon that knew Moonblast. It is a strong type for a Pokemon to have.

Most pokemon slaughter like 75% of the NPC(!) opponents you face in Pokemon X. ;)

From a game balance perspective, Fairy was excellent for nerfing Dragon and Fighting types, and buffing Poison and Steel types.  Note that the buff to Steel is small compared to the nerf it received in losing Dark and Ghost resistances, and making Steel type attacks more useful was a good thing overall.

From a thematic perspective I was leery at first, but it's really grown on me.  I think it has high potential as a type for pokemon based on real life myths that aren't dragons, as well as being a friendlier "mischief maker" typing vs. Dark typing (which is more of a sneaky/underhanded theme).  Plus, it's hilarious that pokemon like Igglybuff are immune to moves like Draco Meteor.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:29 pm »

Most pokemon slaughter like 75% of the NPC(!) opponents you face in Pokemon X. ;)

I suspected as much, but Team Flare sure did use a lot of Dark and Fighting Pokemon, and having a strong Fairy Pokemon makes those end-game dragons a cakewalk.

Edit: Oh yeah and my rival had a lot of of pokemon weak to fairy as well. Even her Chesnaught has the Fighting type that dooms it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:15:57 pm by markusin »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2014, 11:36:13 pm »

So I somehow managed to get the badge after getting Vulpix to level 30 and thanks to a lucky Thunderbolt miss. I haven't seen a Quagsire anywhere and the only ground Pokemon I've seen is a Diglet, and that was once. Anyway, here's how my team is looking right now:

Flaaffy Lv. 27
Rocky (Onix) Lv. 28
Croconaw Lv. 28
Togetic Lv. 28
Girafarig Lv. 28
Vulpix Lv. 30

So sometimes if you evolve a Pokemon you miss out on good moves? How do I know when I should and shouldn't let a Pokemon evolve?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2014, 12:02:21 am »
+2

The only way really is to check move lists online, or else experiment by raising pokemon up to level 100 without evolving them to see (though sometimes you may miss out on moves without evolution).  But as a rule of thumb, most pokemon don't learn any more moves after they are made to evolve with an evolutionary stone.  Many, however, will gain some moves that can only be accessed via the move relearner.  For example, Togetic evolves to Togekiss with a Shiny Stone and Togekiss can remember the move Air Slash (which is spectacular if your Togekiss has Serene Grace as its ability).

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 29, 2014, 04:12:04 pm »

So I have a ton of money, what should I spend it all on? And I have a couple nuggets. From what I remember all they're good for is selling and making money, is that right?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2014, 04:13:34 pm »

So I have a ton of money, what should I spend it all on? And I have a couple nuggets. From what I remember all they're good for is selling and making money, is that right?

I think so. There might be some games where you can trade them for stuff, but probably the game you're playing isn't one of them? I think you can safely sell them.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »
+7

I think so. There might be some games where you can trade them for stuff, but probably the game you're playing isn't one of them? I think you can safely sell them.

No, you should hoard them.  Hoard everything.  Carry everything with you forever, never selling, never using.  This is how items work in Pokemon.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »
+4

No, you should hoard them.  Hoard everything.  Carry everything with you forever, never selling, never using.  This is how items work in Pokemon.

Don't even think of using the masterball on Mewtwo. Who knows if you are going to need it afterwards..?

And TMs? HAH. Your pokemons are going to learn those moves sooner or later anyway, and even if they don't, they'll learn something equivalent, and even if they don't, they don't really need it, and even if they do, you can capture another pokemon with that move, and even if you can't, I am sure you will eventually capture a pokemon that can get more use out of that move.

And don't get me started on evolutionary stones. Or rare candies.

EDIT: repeated quote fail.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:48:46 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:37 am »

You guys still haven't told me where to spend my money!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2014, 03:24:57 am »
+1

Hoard that too.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2014, 10:33:55 am »

Hoard that too.
"Money for nothing and chicks for free."

I don't even want to buy Charizardine X from that guy. I could theoretically get a Charizard from Pokemon Y and transfer it over through Pokemon bank, but my sister started playing Pokemon Y (yay for taking an interest) and I think she'd want to part with the Charmander starter for awhile.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:39 pm »

The mega stone in Lumiose gets cheaper as your reputation goes up. I think I got it for 10K or something.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »

The mega stone in Lumiose gets cheaper as your reputation goes up. I think I got it for 10K or something.
I noticed. I wonder how cheap it is now that I beat the elite 4 + champion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 30, 2014, 01:08:51 pm »

I believe the reputation only goes up from your interaction within Lumiose, e.g. riding cabs, dining in restaurants, buying from shops. The easy way to raise it quickly is to go to the pokeball shop and buy a bunch of them one at a time.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 30, 2014, 03:11:59 pm »

I have a beef with that shop. I didn't know they sold Premier Balls. I bought them 1 for 10 regular balls... I trashed around 4000 regular balls before I knew that you could just buy Premier Balls.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 31, 2014, 09:21:42 am »
+1

UPDATE:

I beat the Elite Four with some luck but Lance's Dragonite beat me down mercilessly. My Onix is totally useless so I think it's time to replace him. I've got a Delibird that I think might be good. Also my Vulpix is getting destroyed, should I replace him as well? Evolve him? What do you guys think I should I have?

Lugia Lv. 48
Ampharos Lv. 44
Togetic Lv. 41
Gyarados Lv. 41
Vulpix Lv. 40
Rocky (Onix) Lv. 40

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 31, 2014, 09:53:52 am »

UPDATE:

I beat the Elite Four with some luck but Lance's Dragonite beat me down mercilessly. My Onix is totally useless so I think it's time to replace him. I've got a Delibird that I think might be good. Also my Vulpix is getting destroyed, should I replace him as well? Evolve him? What do you guys think I should I have?

Lugia Lv. 48
Ampharos Lv. 44
Togetic Lv. 41
Gyarados Lv. 41
Vulpix Lv. 40
Rocky (Onix) Lv. 40
You should get a Venomoth

We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2014, 10:14:20 am »

I believe the reputation only goes up from your interaction within Lumiose, e.g. riding cabs, dining in restaurants, buying from shops. The easy way to raise it quickly is to go to the pokeball shop and buy a bunch of them one at a time.
I thought that was style points. Or is that what you mean?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.