Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118690 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

Mega Altaria looks great.  Fluffier than ever.  Mega Lopunny looks alright, and more interesting than regular Lopunny (I always found it mildly disturbing, actually).  Mega Salamence looks a little strange with that new wing shape.

Still hoping for Mega Flygon.

Also, there is currently an NA event for the pokeball pattern Vivillon.  It's very limited though, so get it now.

So, can I add some of you guys, if not for Pokemon then maybe for the new Smash Bros. when it comes out on 3DS?

My friend code is 3840 - 7707 - 7036. I just hope I recognize anyone who tries to add me.

I just started, so I don't know what kind of trading help I'll need to populate my pokedex. I know that not having a second DS/3DS will make it hard to get non-X/Y Pokemon before gen 4 due to not being able to trade to Black/White where PokemonBank can handle the rest. I'm hoping the gen 3 remakes make things easier.

It's actually pretty easy with the GTS, other than the legendaries.
Looking through earlier posts on this thread, I'm hoping I can get some decent stuff by trading polar pattern Vivillons

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »
+2

The Korean Pokémon site accidentally leaked Mega Slowbro and Mega Audino, which I think is the first 5th-gen Mega Evolution we've seen. I am a big fan of Mega Slowbro's design. Shell Armor isn't the snazziest ability, but what can you do. Mega Audino gains the Fairy type, making it Normal/Fairy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:14:22 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »
+1

Mega Slowbro is hilarious.  I love it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2014, 08:53:35 pm »

There is currently an online event to get Pinsir/Heracross (version exclusives) which corresponds with a Gamestop event to get their corresponding mega stones.  Unfortunately, it seems to be US only. 

It's done with a code though.  You go in, you ask the cashier, they give you a one-use code that you enter into Mystery Gift to get the stone.  If somebody could get me an extra code, I would appreciate it.  OTOH, I'm probably not going to be using either one.  It's more just a completionist thing.

If it makes a difference, I have Pokemon X, which means that the stone I'm missing is Heracronite. 

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2014, 08:56:03 pm »

So, can I add some of you guys, if not for Pokemon then maybe for the new Smash Bros. when it comes out on 3DS?

My friend code is 3840 - 7707 - 7036. I just hope I recognize anyone who tries to add me.

I just started, so I don't know what kind of trading help I'll need to populate my pokedex. I know that not having a second DS/3DS will make it hard to get non-X/Y Pokemon before gen 4 due to not being able to trade to Black/White where PokemonBank can handle the rest. I'm hoping the gen 3 remakes make things easier.

Slightly late saying this, but you can't just hope other people add your FC - you both need to add each other. It can be kinda a shame but you know.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2014, 09:18:18 pm »

Slightly late saying this, but you can't just hope other people add your FC - you both need to add each other. It can be kinda a shame but you know.
I figured people would repost their FC's if they were interested. No one did. Thanks for the info though. I'm a very new user to the 3DS.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:42 pm »

Well, it's an old thread (I only just checked it). I'd be happy to add you, but don't intend to buy Smash 4 on 3DS (I'm gonna get the Wii U version... much easier to play 4 player locally).

My FC is 3523-3415-0449 if you do want to add me. If you do add me let me know you did.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2014, 12:37:01 am »

Well, it's an old thread (I only just checked it). I'd be happy to add you, but don't intend to buy Smash 4 on 3DS (I'm gonna get the Wii U version... much easier to play 4 player locally).

My FC is 3523-3415-0449 if you do want to add me. If you do add me let me know you did.
Alright, I added you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2014, 01:46:32 am »

Added you too, but I'm not really online very often now.

0748-2612-6651

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2014, 12:05:28 pm »

Added you too, but I'm not really online very often now.

0748-2612-6651
Cool. I'm on vacation for a few more days, so I'll add you the next time I have access to wifi.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »
+1

I finally made it to 200 wins in the Battle Maison, earning myself a Starf Berry as reward!  I tried maybe a dozen times in Super Doubles, usually losing somewhere in the 150 range, but I finally made it in Super Triples.

Here's my team:

Greninja @ Life Orb
Protean
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Mat Block
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

lv. 1 Aron @ Berry Juice
Sturdy
Nature and EVs unimportant
- Endeavor
- Protect
- Swagger
- Toxic

(Swagger and Toxic are filler moves.  Not really anything else would be more helpful.  Berry Juice is better than Shell Bell because the latter does not heal automatically, which matters if two opponents manage to attack Aron in the same turn.)

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Kanghaskan @ Kangaskhanite
Scrappy // Parental Bond
Jolly (+Spd, - SpA)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere

(Modest might be a better nature.  When I bred this Togekiss, I hadn't yet decided on a set or held item and was thinking about using Thunder Wave on the set.  I preferred having the up-front speed though.  Not sure if Timid + Choice Scarf is helpful or overkill.  I think Flamethrower may be more useful than Psychic as well.  I don't think I actually used Psychic in this run, though it's nice for safety against Poison types.)

Garchomp @ Expert Belt
Sand Veil
Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)
4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide

(Dragon Claw might be better than Outrage.  I rarely used Outrage anyway; the confusion didn't matter so much as being unable to choose a target.  Also, Rough Skin is probably better than Sand Veil, which had almost no application at all.  I just didn't manage to breed for it.  And Expert Belt is mostly a filler item here...)

The typical strategy: Greninja uses Mat Block on turn 1, Aron uses Endeavor on the biggest threat, and Rotom does whatever it can.  Turn 2 is often Surf/Protect/Discharge.  This often results in KO-ing the entire opposing side without taking any damage at all, because the AI usually targets Aron.  From there, Aron alternates Endeavor and Protect while the others try to take out threats before they can harm Aron.  Aron can take 3 hits thanks to Berry Juice, soaking up a lot of damage.

Sometimes Aron uses Protect at the very start, when the opposing side has something that outspeeds Greninja, or has priority moves.  It's important if the opponent has Fake Out, which would completely unravel the opening gambit.  It's good if I can OHKO the fast threat (e.g. Ice Beam vs. Crobat or Aerodactyl).

The most dangerous opening scenario is when there is a Jolteon, Electrode or Choice Scarf Manectric opposite Greninja.  All three are faster than Greninja and will target Greninja with a OHKO electric attack just as often as they target Aron.  In these cases, I've taken to switching Greninja for Garchomp, hopefully nullifying the electric attack.  Whether Aron attacks or protects depends on what Rotom can accomplish.

It's an extremely reliable team if you have decent prediction.  The key thing is to know when fast/priority attacks are going to hit Aron, and to predict when the AI will opt to ignore Aron, e.g. grass type attacks will often target Rotom or Greninja (first turn, or after surfing) instead. 

There are some fun synergies on the team.  Togekiss and Rotom are both immune to Garchomp's Earthquake.  Garchomp is immune to Rotom's Discharge.  Kangaskhan can save Aron from one attack when it comes out, thanks to Fake Out.  Togekiss can often provide even more flinch support with Air Slash.

Kangaskhan deserves special mention for packing a priority move in Sucker Punch, and Togekiss should be noted for being able to hit non-adjacent pokemon with Air Slash or Aura Sphere, which offers a lot of flexibility.  Aura Sphere is also noteworthy for ignoring accuracy and evasion modifiers, which helps against Double Team users (I never had to face that in my triples run though).

For a potentially better team, check out this article.  I really like having Togekiss and Kangaskhan though, and Rotom has been a really dependable lead.  If I were to change something, it would be to try the same Garchomp lead as in that article, and then swap Rotom for Tyranitar.  It would be nice to have a way to get around Hail, though I managed to get through it just fine.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2014, 10:59:18 am »
+1

The fact that you can use FEAR strategies in this setting makes me sad. Nothing against you, eHalcyon, but I've always considered them to be complete bullshit. Although I did have a big laugh once in 4th gen running an anti-FEAR strategy against a Doubles team I knew had a FEARgle. This was back when Future Sight's damage was calculated at the time of its usage. So I used Future Sight on the Lv1 Smeargle and then killed it off with Wrap from my Shuckle. Two turns later, the Snorlax in that spot was one-shotted by the Future Sight damage. True story.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2014, 11:02:58 am »

I used a Qwilfish with Swift Swim and Destiny Bond in Ubers. He was good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2014, 02:11:28 am »
+1

The fact that you can use FEAR strategies in this setting makes me sad. Nothing against you, eHalcyon, but I've always considered them to be complete bullshit. Although I did have a big laugh once in 4th gen running an anti-FEAR strategy against a Doubles team I knew had a FEARgle. This was back when Future Sight's damage was calculated at the time of its usage. So I used Future Sight on the Lv1 Smeargle and then killed it off with Wrap from my Shuckle. Two turns later, the Snorlax in that spot was one-shotted by the Future Sight damage. True story.

FWIW, Battle Maison is a grind, and running a FEAR strategy there does still take some skill.  FEAR is only half the battle anyway. :P  It's by no means a guaranteed win (as my many super doubles attempts will demonstrate).  It's also pretty terrible for super singles since it gets foiled by a ghost lead.  When the Maison features ridiculous AI luck like this Walrein sweep, I'm happy to abuse FEAR Aron when I can.  It wasn't an option when I got the 50 wins trophy for singles, and it was definitely not an option for super multi (in which you pair up with an AI partner who is not very bright).

I also got to 50 in Super Triples without Aron, but there were a couple close calls on the way there.  I just wanted to get the stupid Starf berry. :P

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »

Perhaps we'll see Mega Camerupt and Mega Wailord, the two favored Pokémon of Team Magma and Team Aqua, respectively.

Sharpedo is Team Aqua's favored Pokemon. It has the same BST as Camerupt! In any case, I wouldn't object to Mega Sharpedo.

Oh, yeah. I played Ruby, so I misremembered this. I thought it was Wailord, since it learns Water Spout and Camerupt learns Eruption. Sharpedo needs a boost anyway.

Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt confirmed, along with Mega Gallade.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:20:21 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2014, 07:30:16 pm »
+1

Not sure how I feel about the designs.  I like Camerupt, but the mega seems a little flat.  Sharpedo suffers from having lots of unnecessary embellishment, like many other megas.  Gallade is the opposite, lacking any real defining feature... hm.

(I'd like to reiterate my request for somebody to get me a megastone code from Gamestop before the event ends.  Please? :P)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2014, 10:24:02 pm »
+1

Not sure how I feel about the designs.  I like Camerupt, but the mega seems a little flat.  Sharpedo suffers from having lots of unnecessary embellishment, like many other megas.  Gallade is the opposite, lacking any real defining feature... hm.

Looking at the small screenshot, it looks like Mega Camerupt has a much more mountainous shape. Also, the art makes it look like it has more of an attitude. It's growing on me. Mega Sharpedo does look a bit overloaded. Now that I look closer, it appears that Mega Gallade has a sort of double cape, which is probably going to be the easiest way to differentiate it from normal Gallade. Its head and arms look a bit different too, but mostly it's the capes.

Sounds like the stat distributions are going to be good, as expected based on the Mega Evolutions in X and Y. Sharpedo gets a boost in all 5 stats and Camerupt gets a drop in Speed (and of course those points get redistributed to areas where they can actually do some good). I'm hoping Camerupt gets some really massive Defense and SpDef boosts. That's what it really needs.

Seeing Mega Camerupt makes me think there won't be a Mega Torkoal any time soon, which is too bad. I had a Torkoal on my 4th gen Doubles Sunny Day team.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2014, 02:02:05 am »

Sharpedo! <3

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2014, 09:29:57 am »

Yay, now I don't have to feel so bad about using Gallade over Gardevoir.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:17 pm »

Ability revealed: Inner Focus.  Not that great, hm.

Also thinking about Mega Camerupt's ability.  Sheer Force is amazing, but it'll be less effective on a mega because it can't abuse recoil-less Life Orb.  Also not sure what a typical Camerupt can get use with it... Earth Power, Rock Slide and a fire move of your choice with burn chance, for a mixed set?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

It's fantastic in Doubles. Prevents Fake Out. Mega evolution happens before Fake Out, so it's nice to be able to mega evolve Gallade first turn and still have that protection.

Also thinking about Mega Camerupt's ability.  Sheer Force is amazing, but it'll be less effective on a mega because it can't abuse recoil-less Life Orb.  Also not sure what a typical Camerupt can get use with it... Earth Power, Rock Slide and a fire move of your choice with burn chance, for a mixed set?

I guess. I'll take a closer look at its set later. Also, it's possible it'll get new moves. Some other Pokémon already have new moves confirmed (Audino gets Misty Terrain I think, and Lopunny gets High Jump Kick).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2014, 06:40:45 pm »

It's fantastic in Doubles. Prevents Fake Out. Mega evolution happens before Fake Out, so it's nice to be able to mega evolve Gallade first turn and still have that protection.

I guess. I'll take a closer look at its set later. Also, it's possible it'll get new moves. Some other Pokémon already have new moves confirmed (Audino gets Misty Terrain I think, and Lopunny gets High Jump Kick).

Fair enough for doubles.

I expect Sharpedo will get the elemental fangs.  Not sure what Camerupt could gain.  Flare Blitz?  Zen Headbutt?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2014, 03:49:58 pm »
+1

In-game models for the new pokemon look better than the art.  In particular, the Mega-Sharpedo art doesn't really match.  The model doesn't seem to have the saw-shark spikes on its snout.

Also, the new abilities have been revealed.  They create their respective weather conditions, prevent the opponent from changing the weather, and block attacks of the opposing (P-Groudon's Desolate Land causes water attacks to evaporate and P-Kyogre's Primordial Sea causes fire attacks to fizzle).  serebii also reports that these weather conditions are permanent but fade when the pokemon is switched out.

I'm curious how the abilities will interact when the two face off against each other.  Will the faster one set the weather and then prevent the other from changing it?  Will the abilities be powerful enough that the slower one (or later switch in) turns the weather to its favour?  Maybe they would duel back and forth and turn the weather back on their respective turns?

Also curious how they'll interact with Air Lock and Cloud Nine.  It would be interesting if Rayquaza's Air Lock (or P-Rayquaza's amped up version) were the only way to cancel out the primal weather, with Cloud Nine being too meager to block it.

Since the weather effects fade when the pokemon switch out, it seems to me that P-Groudon gains more than P-Kyogre.  Kyogre already resisted fire attacks, with or without rain, whereas Groudon was weak to water without sunlight.  With its new typing, blocking water attacks is even better for it.

I'm curious which version you guys will be going for.  Personally, I lean towards Omega Ruby.  Groudon's design has always appealed to me more than Kyogre's.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2014, 04:03:49 pm »

Really enjoying the designs for Mega Gallade and Mega Camerupt. Mega Sharpedo is my least favorite mega so far though. So much embellishment for the sake of embellishment. I guess I like that the game itself doesn't add all of it in, but it's weird/amateurish that the game wouldn't match the official art. Unless it's a gender difference, which actually strikes me as pretty possible.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »

Really enjoying the designs for Mega Gallade and Mega Camerupt. Mega Sharpedo is my least favorite mega so far though. So much embellishment for the sake of embellishment. I guess I like that the game itself doesn't add all of it in, but it's weird/amateurish that the game wouldn't match the official art. Unless it's a gender difference, which actually strikes me as pretty possible.

It's also possible that either the art or the footage are out of date, or that the spikes are retractable and come out during attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.