Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118693 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2014, 05:22:51 pm »

Not much time for Pokémon these days, but I'm enjoying the coverage of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. I think it's cool that they held back some Mega Evolutions for these games. Mega Sableye seems especially cool. I'm hoping that some other weak Pokémon get one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2014, 06:19:35 pm »

I'm barely keeping up with updates about ORAS.  Apparently Mega Sableye's ability has been revealed --Magic Bounce.  Interesting, but is it worth losing Prankster?  I suppose it makes Sableye even more of a troll when you can't predict whether it will mega evolve or not.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »

Well, bear in mind that you can still get the Prankster boost on the turn Sableye mega evolves, which could be significant.

As with Mega Absol, I don't believe Magic Bounce is there to actually reflect status moves. It's there to encourage opponents to use direct attacks. Mega Absol is set up to be a fantastic Me First user. Similarly, Sableye is set up to use Metal Burst. They both have STAB Sucker Punch as well (though I don't think Mega Sableye will have a high enough Attack stat to make use of it).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »

Well, bear in mind that you can still get the Prankster boost on the turn Sableye mega evolves, which could be significant.

As with Mega Absol, I don't believe Magic Bounce is there to actually reflect status moves. It's there to encourage opponents to use direct attacks. Mega Absol is set up to be a fantastic Me First user. Similarly, Sableye is set up to use Metal Burst. They both have STAB Sucker Punch as well (though I don't think Mega Sableye will have a high enough Attack stat to make use of it).

Does it really get the prankster boost?  The base speed is applied before mega evolution, but I wouldn't have thought Prankster would apply if you mega evolve that same turn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:00 pm »

Does it really get the prankster boost?  The base speed is applied before mega evolution, but I wouldn't have thought Prankster would apply if you mega evolve that same turn.

It's the same principle. The turn order is determined at the start of the round before anything else happens.

Mega Banette doesn't get its new Prankster boost on the turn it Mega Evolves, and the same principle should apply here.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2014, 09:02:38 pm »

It's the same principle. The turn order is determined at the start of the round before anything else happens.

Mega Banette doesn't get its new Prankster boost on the turn it Mega Evolves, and the same principle should apply here.

Hmm, good point.  Might be interesting to sometimes hold off on mega-evolving immediately though.  For mind games.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:26 pm »

Hmm, good point.  Might be interesting to sometimes hold off on mega-evolving immediately though.  For mind games.

I'm guessing—guessing!—that won't be a great idea. Sableye is pretty darn frail without the defensive boosts it gets when it mega evolves. Maybe it'll still be frail, but I doubt it. I'm expecting some decent SpDef boost in addition to the advertised huge Defense increase.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2014, 09:17:09 pm »

I'm guessing—guessing!—that won't be a great idea. Sableye is pretty darn frail without the defensive boosts it gets when it mega evolves. Maybe it'll still be frail, but I doubt it. I'm expecting some decent SpDef boost in addition to the advertised huge Defense increase.

Current Sableye gets around that with prankster will-o-wisp, doesn't it?  Mega Sableye might opt for that and prankster Taunt before mega evolving. 

I'm just spitballing here though.  I've not kept up with the competitive scene and I haven't even played in months.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2014, 09:35:22 pm »

Current Sableye gets around that with prankster will-o-wisp, doesn't it?  Mega Sableye might opt for that and prankster Taunt before mega evolving. 

I'm just spitballing here though.  I've not kept up with the competitive scene and I haven't even played in months.

Ah, me either. I played competitively primarily back in 4th gen. And I'm always assuming Doubles rather than Singes. So for me, one priority Will-O-Wisp and immediately higher defenses trump two priority moves and a round of frailty.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2014, 10:55:07 pm »
+1

I'm gonna go ahead and make some predictions for other new mega evolutions.

We had Mega Alakazam and Mega Gengar in X/Y, so I'm thinking there may be Mega Golem and Mega Machamp.

Perhaps we'll see Mega Camerupt and Mega Wailord, the two favored Pokémon of Team Magma and Team Aqua, respectively.

I just hope we get some mega evolutions for Ground types. They seem to have gotten the shaft in 6th gen, what with Diggersby and Zygarde being the only new Ground Pokémon and Mega Garchomp being the only Ground-type mega. I'm hoping for Mega Sandslash, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2014, 11:11:04 pm »
+1

I forgot that you think primarily in doubles terms.

Those first four are good predictions.  I'll predict a Mega Dunsparce, because it is another weak pokemon that is a somewhat surprising fan favourite, like Sableye (although Sableye became powerful --at least in singles-- when it got Prankster in gen 5).

A gen III fan favourite could be Mega Tropius.

And I'm wondering if they will do anything else with this primal reversion thing other than Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon.  I could see them leaving it as special for the version mascots (maybe throw in Primal Rayquaza) but I could also see them doing something with Primal Regis, or maybe even something with the fossil pokemon (maybe including Relicanth) -- dropping the Rock type on boosted primal versions of them?

I doubt there are going to be very many new megas, but there are a lot of interesting things they could do.

And for ground types, there's already Mega Dugtrio, where it comes out of the ground to reveal its hulking body.  Right?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2014, 11:24:07 am »

Those first four are good predictions.  I'll predict a Mega Dunsparce, because it is another weak pokemon that is a somewhat surprising fan favourite, like Sableye (although Sableye became powerful --at least in singles-- when it got Prankster in gen 5).

A gen III fan favourite could be Mega Tropius.

I too would love to see Mega Dunsparce and Mega Tropius.

And I'm wondering if they will do anything else with this primal reversion thing other than Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon.  I could see them leaving it as special for the version mascots (maybe throw in Primal Rayquaza) but I could also see them doing something with Primal Regis, or maybe even something with the fossil pokemon (maybe including Relicanth) -- dropping the Rock type on boosted primal versions of them?

I think Mega (or Primal) Relicanth would be cool. Even a Mega Evolution probably can't save Luvdisc.

Mega evolutions of legendaries don't really interest me much, although I do think Mega Regis would be cool. If the hacker from a few months ago can be believed, there are mega evolutions of Latias and Latios.

I doubt there are going to be very many new megas, but there are a lot of interesting things they could do.

I am hoping there will be quite a few new ones. Maybe not quite as many as were introduced in X and Y, but somewhere on that order of magnitude.

My actual mega wishlist (for the Hoenn dex) is probably something like: Masquerain, Golem, Delcatty, Machamp, Dodrio, Swalot, Torkoal, Grumpig, Sandslash, Claydol, Tropius, Chimecho, Xatu, Girafarig, Glalie, Corsola.

I think we'll see Mega Milotic as a counterpart to Mega Gyarados. We'll probably see Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross (groan). Mega Flygon might be cool. I like Flygon. Primal Reversion with Arena Trap!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:25:25 am by LastFootnote »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:45 am »
+1

Perhaps we'll see Mega Camerupt and Mega Wailord, the two favored Pokémon of Team Magma and Team Aqua, respectively.

Sharpedo is Team Aqua's favored Pokemon. It has the same BST as Camerupt! In any case, I wouldn't object to Mega Sharpedo.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2014, 04:05:32 am »

Sharpedo is one of my favorite water monsters. A mega evolution of him would be nice. Or Qwilfish. Seriously. Qwilfish is a beast.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2014, 06:44:15 am »

Sharpedo is Team Aqua's favored Pokemon. It has the same BST as Camerupt! In any case, I wouldn't object to Mega Sharpedo.

Oh, yeah. I played Ruby, so I misremembered this. I thought it was Wailord, since it learns Water Spout and Camerupt learns Eruption. Sharpedo needs a boost anyway.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2014, 07:07:04 am »
+2

It allready has Speed Boost. ;)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2014, 07:55:57 am »

It allready has Speed Boost. ;)

So did Blaziken.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. A boost! Heh.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:36 am »

Sharpedo is one of my favorite water monsters. A mega evolution of him would be nice. Or Qwilfish. Seriously. Qwilfish is a beast.

Yes, Qwilfish is awesome. Destiny Bond + Revenge = Win.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

If Salamence and Metagross get megas, Dragonite will need one too or else feel really overlooked...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2014, 02:34:39 pm »

If Salamence and Metagross get megas, Dragonite will need one too or else feel really overlooked...

Yeah, but it could get one in 7th gen. It might get one for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. It depends on whether they expand the Hoenn Dex or decide to have megas that aren't in the regional dex.

I wonder if we'll see any 5th gen megas. Mega Hydreigon seems silly. Four heads? Five? I'd like to see Mega Heatmor and Mega Durant.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »
+3

I just got this game a few days ago, and a 3DS about 2 weeks ago. I got insta-hooked, though I only just passed the first gym. I fool around with the pokemon-amie and super-training a lot. This is actually the first main-series Pokemon game that I'll be playing for realz. I did play both Pokemon Stadium games, especially the second one.

Oh, and I think Mega Dunsparce would be really neat.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2014, 05:14:09 am »

Welcome to the addiction!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »

So, can I add some of you guys, if not for Pokemon then maybe for the new Smash Bros. when it comes out on 3DS?

My friend code is 3840 - 7707 - 7036. I just hope I recognize anyone who tries to add me.

I just started, so I don't know what kind of trading help I'll need to populate my pokedex. I know that not having a second DS/3DS will make it hard to get non-X/Y Pokemon before gen 4 due to not being able to trade to Black/White where PokemonBank can handle the rest. I'm hoping the gen 3 remakes make things easier.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2014, 11:28:48 am »
+2

We'll probably see Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross (groan).

Mega Metagross was revealed awhile ago and today we see Mega Salamence. Man, does Salamence ever not need a Mega Evolution for after it uses Intimidate.

Mega Altaria (Dragon/Fairy with Pixilate) and Mega Lopunny (Normal/Fighting with Scrappy) also revealed. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a 4th-gen Pokémon getting the Mega Evolution treatment in Omega/Alpha. Normal/Fighting with Scrappy seems like a rockin' combo.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2014, 01:04:44 pm »

Mega Altaria looks great.  Fluffier than ever.  Mega Lopunny looks alright, and more interesting than regular Lopunny (I always found it mildly disturbing, actually).  Mega Salamence looks a little strange with that new wing shape.

Still hoping for Mega Flygon.

Also, there is currently an NA event for the pokeball pattern Vivillon.  It's very limited though, so get it now.

So, can I add some of you guys, if not for Pokemon then maybe for the new Smash Bros. when it comes out on 3DS?

My friend code is 3840 - 7707 - 7036. I just hope I recognize anyone who tries to add me.

I just started, so I don't know what kind of trading help I'll need to populate my pokedex. I know that not having a second DS/3DS will make it hard to get non-X/Y Pokemon before gen 4 due to not being able to trade to Black/White where PokemonBank can handle the rest. I'm hoping the gen 3 remakes make things easier.

It's actually pretty easy with the GTS, other than the legendaries.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.