Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118672 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2013, 03:44:58 pm »
+1

My friendcode is 2895-7743-1369.
I will add everyone in this thread.

I just added you.  Nice mii. :)

Do any of you have a rare Vivillon pattern?  I'm in the market...

I have the continental pattern. Is that something you need?

No, I have that one.  That's a pretty good pattern too though -- you can get a fair few things on GTS with that pattern.

So I've started breeding.  I decided to breed Marill first.  Azumarill is actually an incredible power house, but that's not why it's my first choice.  Two other factor -- first, Marill's egg groups are Water 1 and Fairy, which means a good male Marill will help me breed Froakie and Togepi (aside: I don't yet have a Togepi, so if someone could hook me up...).  Second, there is a new mechanic in XY where non-breeding pokemon are guaranteed to have at least 3 perfect IVs.  Not only does this apply to legendaries, it also applies to baby pokemon, like Azumarill. 

So I caught several wild Azumarill (fairly common) and set foot on the breeding adventure.  It took a while, but I finally got a male Marill with 5 perfect IVs -- everything but Attack.  This is excellent for my purposes because Attack is the stat I care about least for Togekiss and Greninja.  Moreover, I received a female Froakie from WT which has a perfect Attack stat (and nothing else) so it matched up well.

So now I'm breeding Froakie.  My goal is Timid nature with its hidden ability and perfect stats, Attack being the least important.  My female Froakie has the hidden ability and my understanding is that it has 60% chance of passing down.  In case anyone is curious, Froakie's hidden ability is Protean.  Before any attack is used, Froakie's type is changed to match the attack.  That means it gets STAB bonus on everything, and it can also potentially pull of some cute tricks like becoming ground type right before an electric attack.

Neither the Froakie nor my Marill are Timid, so I couldn't use an Everstone to pass that down.  I gave Marill a Power Lens to guarantee passing down SpAtk (arbitrarily chosen) and Froakie the Destiny Knot (which makes breeding for IVs so much easier).  The first Froakie egg I hatch... oh man, so close!  It's Timid, it has the hidden ability, and it has 5 perfect IVs.  Unfortunately, the bad IV was SpDef.  I'll have to check later what it actually is -- might be worth it to just say "good enough".  If only this Froakie were female!  I think I will have to get the power item that passes down SpDef and aim to hatch a female hidden ability Froakie with perfect SpDef, so I can pair it with this near-perfect baby. 

OTOH, sticking with Marill and the original mother would also be fun simply because the mother is Japanese, which gives me a slightly better chance of hatching a shiny.  But since she only has one perfect IV (and not even one I care about), it'll be tough to hatch another one with such good stats.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2013, 05:50:49 pm »

So after a couple boxes worth of eggs, I finally have my perfect Froakie.  I also got a shiny one, and neither of the parents were foreign so it was extra lucky.  That one only has 31 SpDef and Speed though, unfortunately.  Anyway, I've wonder traded all the 2IV male Froakie, as well as 3IV torrent Froakie.  I have a few 4IV torrent, a few females and a few extra 3IV male protean froakies.  If anybody wants one, let me know.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2013, 04:52:00 am »

I've never been much into breeding for IV's. I've mainly been doing it for natures. However, this generation I think I'll start breeding monsters with good IVs. The problem is that I mainly play with friends, and we lost one of them when we started EV training. The rest of us are hard core for being casuals, but we've yet to invest the time and effort needed to IV breed. We do know the mechanics and stuff like that, though. And most of us have played online simulators, but we've got other stuff that takes time now, so I'm not sure how many are willing to start investing a lot of time riding a bicycle from point A to point B and from point B to point A over and over again.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:47 pm »

Well a lot of the riding a bike back and forth can be replaced by cycling in a circle just about anywhere - Lumiose Tower is a popular one. You can leave the game for a few minutes like that as you get the eggs hatched.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2013, 08:34:21 pm »
+3

I recently made this table. I've only spent a few minutes neatening it up but I might do a little more soon, then post it on reddit. Also register on reddit. Anyway the table shows which gen a particular type combination first appeared in. You guys are probably smart enough to figure out the rest.

Also if you do spot any errors let me know. Mostly it was just one or two pokemon I wasn't 100% sure on the gens of (I was initially going to just record the first pokemon by dex number with each type, then changed it to gens by hand without bothering to check the gens of some pokemon I wasn't 100% sure on, like Masquerain)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:37:07 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:17 pm »

Terrific chart! Really interesting. Surskit and Masquerain are third gen, btw. :)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2013, 08:57:49 pm »

I guess you didn't add the unreleased legendaries yet, because their type combos aren't confirmed.  Specifically, Volcanion is supposedly Fire/Water.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:03 pm »

I guess you didn't add the unreleased legendaries yet, because their type combos aren't confirmed.  Specifically, Volcanion is supposedly Fire/Water.

Oh, yes, that was a note I needed to add. Volcanion is Fire/Water, I think Hoopa is meant to be Psychic/Dark and Diancie is Fairy/Ice? So of those yeah, Volcanion is the only new one.

Also a few fun facts I noticed while making this:
Ghost type, despite containing relatively few pokemon, covers a surprising number of type combinations. Conversely, Normal type has the most, but covers the 2nd least type combinations - only 10 type combinations - behind only Fairy and tying with only Ice.
Flying is the only type to have pokemon in every possible combination, thanks to gen 6's addition of Hawlucha. Water may join it, if Volcanion is Fire/Water type.
Rock, Ghost, Flying and Ice didn't have a pure typed pokemon until at least gen 2. Ice had to wait until gen 3 to get a pure Ice type, while flying all the way to gen 5!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2013, 09:45:40 pm »

I think that Diancie was said to be Rock/Fairy, which is covered by Carbink.  Fairy/Ice would be new.  Oh, and Hoopa is supposedly Psychic/Ghost, which would be new.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2013, 10:43:20 pm »

Dragon-steel was 4th gen (dialga)
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2013, 11:21:27 pm »

That's already on the chart!

Speaking of dragons, does anybody have a Rough Skin Gible/Gabite I could have to breed?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2013, 07:57:38 am »

I'll have a look. I've got a Garchomp, I know that. Also whoops, I knew Diancie was supposedly the same as Carbink, just said the wrong thing. I guess I should add Hoopa as a possibility as well.

Edit: Sand Veil I'm afraid.

But while we're on the topic of requests, I've got 8 evolution trades lined up: Scyther, Seadra, Graveller*, Poliwhirl, Boldore*, Rhydon, Shelmet* and Karrablast*. I also need to get Slowking and a few other friend safari ones, but don't have the (extra) evolution items for them. Anyone here willing to help me out (it'd help if you have one of Shelmet or Karrablast, plus one or two of the other above *'d pokemon - those don't require you to use up an evolution item you have, so it'd just make the trading+evolving less slow.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:04:06 am by Tables »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:01 am »

Speaking of dragons, does anybody have a Rough Skin Gible/Gabite I could have to breed?
Oops misread.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2013, 10:07:15 am »

I Have one.
You can have it for one of those froakies you mentioned.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2013, 10:13:10 am »
+1

I'll have a look. I've got a Garchomp, I know that. Also whoops, I knew Diancie was supposedly the same as Carbink, just said the wrong thing. I guess I should add Hoopa as a possibility as well.

But while we're on the topic of requests, I've got 8 evolution trades lined up: Scyther, Seadra, Graveller*, Poliwhirl, Boldore*, Rhydon, Shelmet* and Karrablast*. I also need to get Slowking and a few other friend safari ones, but don't have the (extra) evolution items for them. Anyone here willing to help me out (it'd help if you have one of Shelmet or Karrablast, plus one or two of the other above *'d pokemon - those don't require you to use up an evolution item you have, so it'd just make the trading+evolving less slow.
I can help you with this. I also have a scyther I want to evolve.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:03 am »

Are you online now? It's obviously a little tough to match up people's usernames here to in game names, but I'm online as Tables if you want to ping me a trade request.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2013, 10:32:24 am »

Are you online now? It's obviously a little tough to match up people's usernames here to in game names, but I'm online as Tables if you want to ping me a trade request.
I am online. Trying to request now.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2013, 10:38:51 am »

I now realise I said I was online as Tables which was a complete fabrication ::).

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2013, 10:55:58 am »

Yay disconnections

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:06 am »

Oh, yes, that was a note I needed to add. Volcanion is Fire/Water, I think Hoopa is meant to be Psychic/Dark and Diancie is Fairy/Ice? So of those yeah, Volcanion is the only new one.

Also a few fun facts I noticed while making this:
Ghost type, despite containing relatively few pokemon, covers a surprising number of type combinations. Conversely, Normal type has the most, but covers the 2nd least type combinations - only 10 type combinations - behind only Fairy and tying with only Ice.
Flying is the only type to have pokemon in every possible combination, thanks to gen 6's addition of Hawlucha. Water may join it, if Volcanion is Fire/Water type.
Rock, Ghost, Flying and Ice didn't have a pure typed pokemon until at least gen 2. Ice had to wait until gen 3 to get a pure Ice type, while flying all the way to gen 5!

Poison ties with normal and ice with 10 types. They started with many in 1st gen, but have almost gotten no new combination.
Electrisity is also among the low ones. Take away rotom, and they are dead last with 8.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2013, 11:47:45 am »

I Have one.

I'm actually thinking now that Sand Veil would be fine.  I wanted Rough Skin because I wasn't planning on running sandstorm, and also because most online movesets that I've seen suggest Rough Skin.  But I might change my mind about sandstorm in the future, and I realize now that they don't use Sand Veil in online sets because places like Smogon ban Sand Veil because of their evasion clause.

I will still make that trade though.  Not sure when I'll see you online -- I don't think I've even unlocked your third pokemon in FS.

IIRC, I have male Proteans with up to 4 flawless IVs.  I was breeding for Timid nature, but I know I also have a bunch of differently natured ones, mostly with 3 flawless IVs.  Slimmer pickings with females.

@Tables, if you need any more help with trade evolutions, you can send a request when I'm online.  I can just trade and trade back.  The Shelmet/Karrablast trade is easy to do on GTS though -- I know I did both of those when I first got to the route where they are found.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2013, 12:11:29 pm »

I Have one.

I'm actually thinking now that Sand Veil would be fine.  I wanted Rough Skin because I wasn't planning on running sandstorm, and also because most online movesets that I've seen suggest Rough Skin.  But I might change my mind about sandstorm in the future, and I realize now that they don't use Sand Veil in online sets because places like Smogon ban Sand Veil because of their evasion clause.

I will still make that trade though.  Not sure when I'll see you online -- I don't think I've even unlocked your third pokemon in FS.

IIRC, I have male Proteans with up to 4 flawless IVs.  I was breeding for Timid nature, but I know I also have a bunch of differently natured ones, mostly with 3 flawless IVs.  Slimmer pickings with females.

@Tables, if you need any more help with trade evolutions, you can send a request when I'm online.  I can just trade and trade back.  The Shelmet/Karrablast trade is easy to do on GTS though -- I know I did both of those when I first got to the route where they are found.

I've done most of them thanks to Xeiron, and I reckon the remaining ones I have available (just Slowking I think, actually) I can manage through GTS. Yeah I could have done a good number of these through GTS but I had so many lined up, I figured it'd be quickly and easier through a friend.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »

The item evolutions are tougher to coordinate through GTS. I was just mentioning the Shelmet/Karrablast one in particular, because no items are needed there.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2013, 04:39:33 pm »

I Have one.

If you Have a timid 4IV that includes max speed, I would like that. If not, then one of the females.

I have a collections of gibles. Both male and female with either abilitiy. Most of them are jolly, but I have some other natures as well. They have about 1-2 max IVs. All of them knows outrage.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »

Haven't actually checked if I have a Froakie matching that, but it's probable.  I actually got impatient and bred my own Outrage Gibles (thanks for reminding me that it's an egg move).  No Rough Skin, but I've got my perfect one now.

I still don't think I've seen you online.  I'm happy to give the Froakie for nothing, but I have to see you first.  When are you typically around?

FWIW, I'm interested in getting good IV pokemon in the Mineral egg group now.  In particular, I'm planning to breed Ferroseed with Leech Seed/Stealth Rock/Spikes.  I've got a 4IV male Roselia with Leech Seed now, and I guess the next step would be getting a male Crustle... oh, but Spikes is only through Cacnea/Cacturne, which I don't have access to.  Hmm.  Well, I wouldn't actually use all three of those anyway, so maybe I'll just skip Spikes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.