Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19  All

Author Topic: So Pokemon X and Y.  (Read 118734 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
Re: So Pokemon X and Y.
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2013, 05:03:06 pm »

That's fine, wasn't after anything in particular :P. I dunno, maybe this gen I'll actually try and complete the pokedex (excluding event pokemon)... would take a while though.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2013, 05:03:54 pm »

The Vivilion's are pretty cool. Maybe I should get some to put up on (Wonder) Trades.

What form do you have?

I'm trying to complete my pokedex this time around.  Haven't done that since Gen I or II.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2013, 05:11:48 pm »

I completed the Dex in Gen 4... huge waste of time.  I'll probably just work on this one until I get bored with it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »

The Vivilion's are pretty cool. Maybe I should get some to put up on (Wonder) Trades.

What form do you have?

And I'll offer it as a trade to anyone who might want it :).
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »

I like the Garden form a lot, because green is my favourite colour.  I'm decking out my character in green as well.  Still need a green hat.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2013, 06:14:27 pm »
+1

I think I would like it if shinies were in general a *little* less rare, but to compensate there would be multiple shiny forms.  So maybe the chance of an orange-flame Litwick is still the same as before, but there is an additional small chance of a red-flame or yellow-flame Litwick.  Shiny Litwicks are now three times more likely to be found, but each individual form is still rare.  I suppose that this could might not be feasible to do on a wide scale because of all the extra sprites... OTOH, they're using 3D models now and some parts of the models could probably be coloured programatically.

I mean, I wasn't at all interested in Vivillon at first.  I wasn't even interested when the Polar form leaked early (I thought it was like the Shellos thing).  But with 18 or more forms... yeah, that's really cool.  More variation within species is exciting.

I approve of this idea.

There is apparently a rare glitch that is making some pokemon lose their colour:

It can be fixed just by reloading the save file, and apparently GF is working on a patch for both this and a couple other glitches (like the big Lumiose City one).  But this Albino glitch shows that it would not take extra images or texture files or what have you to do extra shiny sets.  Even if they couldn't do a bunch of different colours, just making albinism into a feature would be pretty neat.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2013, 12:39:23 pm »

Hey, DSell, you need to either finish the game or come online at the same time as me. There's a 1/4 chance (assuming Serebii's data is correct and pokemon chances are essentially random) that we have exactly the same friend safari, and I wanna find out if we do.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2013, 12:42:40 pm »

Hey, DSell, you need to either finish the game or come online at the same time as me. There's a 1/4 chance (assuming Serebii's data is correct and pokemon chances are essentially random) that we have exactly the same friend safari, and I wanna find out if we do.

A terrible, terrible thing happened... I lost my save data after putting in 30+ hours. At the moment, I am actually letting my roommate play through the game (in French!) at which point I'll start again. I was pretty torn up but I absolutely will start again and get back through it. I have no idea what that'll do to my friend safari data though!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2013, 01:26:41 pm »

It shouldn't change it - it's based on your Friend Code, which is tied to your system, not your game, I believe.

How did you lose the data though? That sucks.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:48 pm »

It shouldn't change it - it's based on your Friend Code, which is tied to your system, not your game, I believe.

How did you lose the data though? That sucks.

Oh good! That's a relief.

The internet (and my own faulty understanding of save states, I guess) led me to believe that unlike former generations, you could get around the only-one-save-file issue by redownloading the game onto another SD card. I did this for my roommate since I had a busy spell where there was no way I could play, and when I went to pick it up again the other day my save data was lost. Since he's already put some time into it I'm letting him play through so we don't lose both save files, but yeah. It sucks a lot. And it's totally my own fault for not researching the topic further.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »

If you're going to reset when you play your own game, you should try setting your DS region to something exotic like Singapore or Hawaii or Madagascar so you can get one of the extra rare Vivillon.  You can change the region back after the game starts.  I wish I had done that. :P

Note that this has practical benefits -- Vivillon are extremely good trade fodder.  The pattern I have, Polar, is like the fourth most common but I still managed to get a bunch of version exclusives and starters with them.  It's spectacular.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:20:41 pm by eHalcyon »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2013, 03:23:07 pm »

If you're going to reset when you play your own game, you should try setting your DS region to something exotic like Singapore or Hawaii or Madagascar so you can get one of the extra rare Vivillon.  You can change the region back after the game starts.  I wish I had done that. :P

Note that this has practical benefits -- Vivillon are extremely good trade fodder.  The pattern I have, Polar, is like the fourth most common but I still managed to get a bunch of version exclusives and starters with them.  It's spectacular.

This is a good idea! But does Hawaii have a unique form?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »

I have caught 416 and seen 467 at this point, so I can probably trade people things if they need them.  At this point it's all just grinding to evolve (and getting BP to buy evolution items, which involved training a few solid team members, which involves tedious breeding and EV training...) 

I don't know why I put myself through these things.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2013, 03:32:31 pm »

I'm aiming to complete the 'dex, but the more I think the more I realise I'm going to have serious trouble with a lot of things. Gen 3 legendaries for a start might be pretty tough to get (I don't have a gen 3 game, at least not a pirated one) since anyone who can transfer Gen 3 legendaries over can get most of the gen 4 and gen 5 ones on the way as well. And don't even get me started on the event pokemon...

I suppose maybe if I do something like, attach an ability capsule, or try trading some BP intensive evolutions around, like a Porygon2 holding a Dubious Disk, I might just get somewhere, but otherwise, it'll probably come down to sweet talking people online, I suppose.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2013, 03:40:48 pm »

This is a good idea! But does Hawaii have a unique form?

Yeah, it has the Ocean Pattern.  Check out this map:

http://imgur.com/a/0Qt5N/

Judging just on what I've seen on the GTS during my Vivillon hunts, the patterns from approximately least common to most common are:

Elegant (purple)
Modern (red)
High Plains (orange)
Polar (dark blue with snow)
Continental (yellow and black)
Marine (cyan)
Garden (green)
River (tan and teal)

And then everything else is rare enough that I don't really have a handle on them.  I've seen a few of each of them but they're all quite rare.  I think the ones I've seen the least of are Archipelago and Sandstorm.

If you're up for experimentation, it might be interesting to set your location to far-flung places on the map where the pattern hasn't yet been confirmed, just to see what you receive.  Power through the game and trade a Scatterbug to someone (like me! ;) ) and see if you can discover new patterns!  :D

I'm aiming to complete the 'dex, but the more I think the more I realise I'm going to have serious trouble with a lot of things. Gen 3 legendaries for a start might be pretty tough to get (I don't have a gen 3 game, at least not a pirated one) since anyone who can transfer Gen 3 legendaries over can get most of the gen 4 and gen 5 ones on the way as well. And don't even get me started on the event pokemon...

I suppose maybe if I do something like, attach an ability capsule, or try trading some BP intensive evolutions around, like a Porygon2 holding a Dubious Disk, I might just get somewhere, but otherwise, it'll probably come down to sweet talking people online, I suppose.

I have a copy of Emerald and a DS Lite to transfer up into Pearl, but Emerald is unfinished (I got it used after fourth gen) and the internal battery has run dry so I don't know how bad that is.  I know it means clock-based events no longer trigger, I'm just not sure if that would hamper collection of the regis there.

But there is also a high probability of a gen III remake or sequel.  Yeah unlike with original gen I and II games, it is possible to trade up from gen III all the way to V (and with Pokebank, to VI) but GBA cartridges are old and not everyone has access to the DS.

I think the main event pokemon I'm missing is Deoxys.  There was an event for it a while back (in the summer) but I missed it because my DS Lite's wireless functionality is extremely weak and I'm not able to get it to find the mystery gift at EB Games anymore.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2013, 03:43:27 pm »

This list is even better:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnK7UlEL3WjddGw5REdFOV9CWWZ6MFpkRHZxSG5qa0E#gid=0

Edit:

Looking at the list...

Monsoon has very few locations -- Hong Kong, Taiwan, Okinawa and a couple places in India.  Ocean is only one region in France and Hawaii.  Sandstorm, Savanna, Icy Snow and Tundra also look quite sparse.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:54:34 pm by eHalcyon »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »

I love the look of Ocean. Love it. Sun, Marine, Monsoon, Icy Snow, and Tundra are great as well.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »

I have a copy of Emerald and a DS Lite to transfer up into Pearl, but Emerald is unfinished (I got it used after fourth gen) and the internal battery has run dry so I don't know how bad that is.  I know it means clock-based events no longer trigger, I'm just not sure if that would hamper collection of the regis there.

But there is also a high probability of a gen III remake or sequel.  Yeah unlike with original gen I and II games, it is possible to trade up from gen III all the way to V (and with Pokebank, to VI) but GBA cartridges are old and not everyone has access to the DS.

I think the main event pokemon I'm missing is Deoxys.  There was an event for it a while back (in the summer) but I missed it because my DS Lite's wireless functionality is extremely weak and I'm not able to get it to find the mystery gift at EB Games anymore.

I dunno if I agree with people theorising that a gen III remake is likely. Possible, I'd say. It wouldn't surprise me, but I think it's more likely not - I'd give it maybe 40% odds? Anyway, if I'm getting your implications right... you have most of the event pokemon? Once pokebank is up and you've transferred them, I don't suppose you could help me out filling them into my pokedex? I mean I guess for e.g. Diamond/Pearl I could tweak to get most of them, but I'd rather not since that can easily brick your game, and that still doesn't solve the problem of most of the rest.

As for the battery, I seem to remember catching the Regis in my pirate Emerald, which had no time functionality. I think there was something quite major I was locked out of, though, but can't quite remember what it was...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

I think I have most of the events, because I tried to get them when ever possible.  Too lazy to actually check it for now, but I'll get to it when Pokebank is available.  And yeah, I wouldn't mind lending them to you for your pokedex. :)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:25 pm »

I have a good friend who completed the pokedex in Black 2 earlier this year, now he's aiming to fill it in X.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2013, 09:43:20 am »

Sweet, I owe you one eHalc. Well, actually, you now have a lucky egg safari I think, so... :P.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »

My friendcode is 2895-7743-1369.
I will add everyone in this thread.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »

My Friend Code is 5412-9998-4485. I'm registering jsh357 and eHalcyon now.

Game is good so far. Just beat the 5th gym because I'm slow like that. I'm loving most of the changes they've made so far, though.

Hurry up and add me as a friend :(. 3523-3415-0449

Xeriox: I've added you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2013, 12:08:13 am »

I just added you.  Nice mii. :)

Do any of you have a rare Vivillon pattern?  I'm in the market...

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:57 am »

I just added you.  Nice mii. :)

Do any of you have a rare Vivillon pattern?  I'm in the market...

I have the continental pattern. Is that something you need?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.