Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First try at Bridge/Native Village  (Read 1032 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
First try at Bridge/Native Village
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »

I was just playing and saw the bridge and the native village.  I've never tried the combo before, so I thought I would give it a try.  At turn 11 I was frustrated to realize that all my income was in the native village mat, so I drew it all back.

Suddenly, my opponent possesses me and pulls off the combo, and wins.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/08/game-20130108-141903-a9984f01.html
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: First try at Bridge/Native Village
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:22:01 pm »

All your income on the native village mat isn't wrong. It's what you're trying to get.

If you pick up on t11 and don't end the game, you've probably lost no matter what you do afterwards. It's a mega-turn strategy, the turn you pick up is the turn you end the game or at least buy up as much green as you can. If you've got too much stuff on the NV mat to buy more bridges, find time to buy a silver or more copper or something, don't pick up! 

Possession is definitely a counter to NV mat strategies, including this one.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:43 pm »

Possession is a really hard counter to NV-Bridge if they can possess you in time, which usually they can.
You really don't want to pick up if you can't end the game, unless you are stuck MUCH later on, and then you want to use it to get the lion's share of VP so that you can then limp pretty well to game end. You might also pick up earlier if it gives you pretty good position lead-wise and you are really worried about being possessed. For instance, on turn 14, how much did you have on your mat? It must have been a pretty good amount - I imagine you would have had decent chances STILL at that point if you were to pick up and grab a bunch of points while bringing the game to the brink of a three pile ending, if you couldn't three pile outright. I mean, if you had even two extra bridges to play on the mat, you COULD have three piled outright. Even one will get you very close with a decently large lead. And him possessing you at that point is the end, so you have to strongly consider it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:05:35 pm »

All your income on the native village mat isn't wrong. It's what you're trying to get.

I couldn't buy any more bridges, I had four copper and all my bridges on the mat.

Also, yeah, I know I probably shouldn't have done it, I just had never tried it before and wanted to give it a shot.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:07:46 pm »

I couldn't buy any more bridges, I had four copper and all my bridges on the mat.

Yes. His point is that this isn't so bad - buy a silver if you can; if not, buy copper. You will get back up to bridge money.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.14 seconds with 21 queries.