Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages IV: Game Over, Watno wins!  (Read 29833 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Through the Ages IV: Game Over, Watno wins!
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »

Through the Ages is a civilization building game. The goal is to develop your civilization, not to destroy other ones. Military strength is just one aspect of your nation, as well as population, production or science. It is up to you which aspect you will concentrate on, more or less, but you should not underestimate any of them while building your civilization.

Victory is achieved by the player whose nation produces the most culture during the game. However, there are many ways to produce culture: through religion, literature or drama, by building wonders, by utilizing cultural persons etc. Considerable amount of culture can be gained even via wars or aggression.
Description from BGG

This is the thread for the fourth Play By Forum game of Vlaada Chvátil's Through The Ages. This is not a short, simple game; it is an epic civilisation building game. Depending on player (and moderator!) speed, the game could take months to complete, but this does give players a good chance to evaluate the board and their options.

A copy of the rules can be found on BGG here. The rules are great, they're mostly very clear, and so I will make no attempt to explain the rules myself, and instead advise players to read them (you will need a BGG account, which if you don't have, is hassle free to make). I will of course try and answer any questions players may have.

The game will be run primarily from this spreadsheet (which will be linked every time I make an update post).

Players may wish to bookmark this link, which shows all of the available actions (excluding extras given by wonders or leaders), as well as the turn structure summary. Sections 1 and 6 will of course be performed by me between turns.

Some notes for PBF:
  • Please do not contact other players about the game outside this thread. I'm not saying you can't mention the game in other threads, but don't go out of your way to conspire in a way that isn't public.
  • I will be respecting the standard rules for pacts. This means, you can't talk about a pact you might be proposing before you do, you have to play it, name the roles and the other player can respond. Breaking this rule results in forfeiting your political action for the turn.
  • Hopefully the spreadsheets will work, but if there are any issues that crop up, let me know! Also, if you feel that some details could be better displayed, or should be displayed somewhere else, let me know - the sheets are, after all, for your benefit.
  • For ease of spotting what your official actions are, please bold your final actions.
  • I'm usually pretty lenient about letting people take back actions they realize are not what they wanted to do. Primarily this is intended as a catch for if you have corruption, civil actions remaining, or an uprising, all of which can be easy to miss.
  • Try to check the game frequently, even when it isn't your turn, as political actions regularly affect everyone. If you sign up, I'd say at a minimum you should be able to check the thread at least once per day except weekends, ideally more times than that. That said if you check regularly you won't have to do anything a lot of the times you check, and when you do need to it's perfectly acceptable (and advised!) to mull over your options a bit.

Taking your turn:
Turn structure

1) Updating the card row: I will do this for you between turns along with step 7

2) Outcome of a war: You sacrifice units, then they sacrifice units, then one or both of you might need to make decisions based on what happened. I will update other things (usually culture) as I see them.

3) Political action: This is probably the most complex bit of your turn. If you want to play an:
  • Event: State that you are playing an event in the thread along with it's age. Then, I will reveal the next current event and resolve it (which may require decisions from various players)
  • Aggression: Play the aggression in the thread, name your target, and post what you're sacrificing (if you can calculate it yourself, please include your total strength for the aggression as well!). Your rival then posts what they're sacrificing (or bonus cards), and one or both of you might then have to make choices regarding the outcome.
  • Pact: Play the pact in the thread, specify which player is A and which is B (if relevant). Your target then either accepts or rejects. Once the proposal has been made, you can talk about it, but you cannot renege or change the proposal.
  • War: Announce it as though it were an aggression, but then simply carry on with your turn. Remember it's resolved next turn
  • No action: Announce you are skipping your political action (note: Please do announce it, otherwise I might ask people to wait as I check, did you really mean to skip your political action?)

4) Discard excess military cards: Check your military hand limit (normally =military actions), then PM me military cards until you are at your military hand limit. This is the most commonly missed part of people's turn, please try to remember to do this!

5) Civil and Military actions: Post all of your civil and military actions directly into the thread. For the first few turns, or whenever you aren't sure, it may be a good idea to PM them to me instead, just to double check everything you're trying to do is valid, or perhaps mess around on your provided spreadsheet and see if what you want to happen seems to be happening. It's easy to forget a few things and make a few mistakes, like, you used military actions on an aggression/war, or that Wonder cost 1 CA more than you thought because you've completed a Wonder already, or accidentally trying to play a military tech with a military action instead of a civil one, and that's just a few examples. Either way if your move is valid, it stands (and I'll post it if you PM'd me) and I'll update everything based on it. If you did something wrong, I'll let you know, and you can fix it.

6) Production and Maintenance: I'll do all of this for you. Once I post in the thread the updated card row, take that as a sign that your indicators are updated, food and resources are updated, and your military cards are available.

Rules in use
We will be playing the alternate corruption rule. This lets you choose to not produce one resource token in your production phase. In essence, this rule will reduce your corruption by 1 if you would have exactly 0, 4 or 8 blue tokens left and at least one Bronze mine.

This is the game for experienced players. The turn order has been randomised and is:
Galzria
Kuildeous
Watno

Current Player: Galzria
It is currently age A
Turn: 1

Galzria
Culture: 0 (+0)
Science: 0 (+1)
Strength: 1
Resources: 0
Food: 0
Civil Cards: None
Military Cards: None

Kuildeous

Watno

Card Row (Check spreadsheet for more details)
1 CA: Alexander the Great (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Library of Alexandria (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Revolutionary Idea (A)
1 CA: Moses (A)
1 CA: Frugality (A)
2 CA: Engineering Genius (A)
2 CA: Hanging Gardens (A)
2 CA: Rich Land (A)
3 CA: Work of Art (A)
3 CA: Pyramids (A)
3 CA: Homer (A)
3 CA: Julius Caesar (A)
Civil Cards remaining: 7

Current Events: A: 5
Future Events: None
Next event: Age A
Military cards remaining: 0
Link to the spreadsheet

Turn 1 special rules reminder
Galzria, you have 1 CA for taking cards only. The card row will not be refreshed.
After that Kuildeous will have 2 CA for taking cards only, and again the card row will not be refreshed.
Finally Watno will have 3 CA for taking cards only, after which the card row will be refreshed.
As this is a 3 player game, the cards in the top two positions will be discarded.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:35:47 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Take Moses
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile

Theres one Age II mine and one Age III library with a missing name in the Civil Library. Are those supposed to be out?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Probably. I'll just check. Probably left over from removing the 4p cards.

Anyway just colourizing your card row in the updates, let me know what you think (that yellow is the main concern)

Edit: Ah, the cells were still merged from being copy-pasted over with the modified card library. They should have been there, and are now fixed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:47:02 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Galzria scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 2 food (2-0 consumption) and 2 resources (2-0 corruption). He then draws Y military cards.                  

Current Player: Kuildeous
1 CA: Alexander the Great (A)
1 CA: Library of Alexandria (A)
1 CA: Revolutionary Idea (A)
1 CA:
1 CA: Frugality (A)
2 CA: Engineering Genius (A)
2 CA: Hanging Gardens (A)
3 CA: Work of Art (A)
3 CA: Pyramids (A)
3 CA: Homer (A)
3 CA: Julius Caesar (A)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:24:18 pm by Tables »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile

I defintely think you shouldn't use yellow in your posts on the forum.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Yeah, okay. I'll change it to orange. It'll be the same as governments but I don't think that's too much of an issue.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Okay, changed for all future card rows.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile

You can use
Code: [Select]
[color=#FFAA00][/color]to make any color you want. Something like this might work
ugly, but readable yellow (CCCC00)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

This is true. I was trying to avoid that because it requires labelling the cards on my spreadsheet as such (this is how I'm doing it BTW), but it might be best.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile

Take Frugality and Alexander the Great

PS, the Card Row indicates that only the first card goes away when it should be the first two cards now.

And that shade of yellow/orange is much nicer on the eyes.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Take Pyramids (again...)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Kuildeous scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 2 food (2-0 consumption) and 2 resources (2-0 corruption). He then draws 0 military cards.

Watno scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 2 food (2-0 consumption) and 2 resources (2-0 corruption). He then draws 0 military cards.

Lighthouse...er, Library of Alexandria is discarded, card row is refreshed.

It is currently age I
Turn: 2

Galzria
Science: 1 (+1)
Resources: 2
Food: 2
Civil Cards: A: 1

Kuildeous
Civil Cards: A: 2

Watno

1 CA: Revolutionary Idea (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Engineering Genius (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Hanging Gardens (A)
1 CA: Rich Land (A)
1 CA: Rich Land (A)
2 CA: Work of Art (A)
2 CA: Homer (A)
2 CA: Julius Caesar (A)
2 CA: Ideal Building Site (A)
3 CA: Ideal Building Site (A)
3 CA: Hammurabi (A)
3 CA: Aristotle (A)
3 CA: Patriotism (A)
Civil Cards remaining: 50

Military cards remaining: 50
Link to the spreadsheet
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:12:07 pm by Tables »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

O Noes I broke the colours :(.

Your game is currently down for maintenance and will be back shortly

Okay fixed. Remembering to copy that last column is going to be an issue I suspect... keep shouting at me when I do it wrong :D.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:12:44 pm by Tables »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Galzria:
Take Hanging Gardens
Take Engineering Genius
Increase Population
Build Bronze

Which happens.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Galzria scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 2 food (2-0 consumption) and 3 resources (3-0 corruption). He then draws 2 military cards.
(Before correcting the error, this was telling me Galz was producing 3 resources (2-0 corruption). That sounds right, right?)

Revolutionary Idea is discarded, card row is refreshed (3 cards)

Current Player: Watno
It is currently age I

Galzria
Science: 2 (+1)
Resources: 3

Kuildeous

Watno

1 CA: Rich Land (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Rich Land (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Work of Art (A)
1 CA: Homer (A)
1 CA: Julius Caesar (A)
2 CA: Hammurabi (A)
2 CA: Aristotle (A)
3 CA: Patriotism (A)
3 CA: Iron (I)
3 CA: Michelangelo (I)
3 CA: Ideal Building Site (I)
Civil Cards remaining: 47

Military cards remaining: 48
Link to the spreadsheet
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:48:19 am by Tables »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Hopefully everyone has a sheet that keeps their military draws on it now. If not (or you can't access it) let me know.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile

Play Frugality
Build Farm
Take Rich Land
Take Rich Land
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Kuildeous scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 3 food (3-0 consumption) and 2 resources (2-0 corruption). He then draws 2 military cards.

No cards discarded, card row refreshed (2 cards).

It is currently age I

Galzria
Military Cards: I: 2

Kuildeous
Food: 4
Civil Cards: A: 3

Watno

1 CA: Work of Art (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Homer (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Julius Caesar (A)
1 CA: Ideal Building Site (A)
1 CA: Ideal Building Site (A)
2 CA: Hammurabi (A)
2 CA: Aristotle (A)
2 CA: Patriotism (A)
2 CA: Iron (I)
3 CA: Michelangelo (I)
3 CA: Ideal Building Site (I)
3 CA: Breakthrough (I)
3 CA: Masonry (I)
Civil Cards remaining: 45

Military cards remaining: 46
Link to the spreadsheet

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Take Caesar
Play Caesar
Build Bronze
Increase population

This all has happened before, and this all will happen again...

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Watno scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 2 food (2-0 consumption) and 3 resources (3-0 corruption). He then draws 3 military cards.

Work of Art (A) and Homer are discarded, card row is refreshed (3 cards)

It is currently age I
Turn: 3

Galzria

Kuildeous

Watno
Strength: 2
Military Cards: I: 3

1 CA: Ideal Building Site (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Ideal Building Site (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Hammurabi (A)
1 CA: Aristotle (A)
1 CA: Patriotism (A)
2 CA: Iron (I)
2 CA: Michelangelo (I)
2 CA: Ideal Building Site (I)
2 CA: Breakthrough (I)
3 CA: Masonry (I)
3 CA: Engineering Genius (I)
3 CA: Code of Laws (I)
3 CA: Theocracy (I)
Civil Cards remaining: 42

Military cards remaining: 43
Link to the spreadsheet

Y'all should be glad I added error catching stuff, it already stopped me duplicating Watno's draw there.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Play Future Event

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Galzria scores 1 culture.

Event: No Event (A)
Nothing happens

...Which doesn't happen(?).
Galzria's actions.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Take Iron (2)
Play Moses
Increase Population

That should leave me just out of corruption, correct?

Mafia Record:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile

Well, you could have had one more resource/food and avoided it, so kinda not quite just depending on your definition.

Galzria scores 0 culture, 1 science, and produces 1 food (2-1 consumption) and 3 resources (3-0 corruption). He then draws 2 military cards.

Ideal Building site (A) and Ideal Building site (A) are discarded, card row is refreshed (3 cards).

It is currently age I
Turn: 3

Galzria
Culture: 1 (+0)
Science: 3 (+1)
Resources: 6
Civil Cards: A: 1, I: 1

Kuildeous

Watno
Strength: 2

1 CA: Hammurabi (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Aristotle (A) (removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Patriotism (A)
1 CA: Michelangelo (I)
1 CA: Ideal Building Site (I)
2 CA: Breakthrough (I)
2 CA: Masonry (I)
2 CA: Engineering Genius (I)
2 CA: Code of Laws (I)
3 CA: Theocracy (I)
3 CA: Drama (I)
3 CA: Theology (I)
3 CA: Irrigation (I)
Civil Cards remaining: 39

Current Events: A: 4
Future Events: I: 1
Military cards remaining: 41
Link to the spreadsheet
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Page created in 2.174 seconds with 20 queries.