Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I misplayed a Governor board. What should I have done?  (Read 988 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
I misplayed a Governor board. What should I have done?
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:59:27 am »

I opened 5/2, so I bought a Governor and thought I'd pick up a bunch of Lookouts, thin the deck, and use the Governor to pick up Golds.  Clearly, that didn't work.  What should I have done?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/05/game-20130105-075347-3c733f66.html

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: I misplayed a Governor board. What should I have done?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37:52 am »
+1

As far as your strategy, I think three lookouts is excessive, and really limits the number of Governors you can purchase early on. I think you gain too much Gold too early as well, these gum up your engine. If you are looking to do multi-Province turns, you need to get a lot of Governors first and then add in the Golds.

In general though, I don't love the massive Governor strategy here. It seems vulnerable to Swindler, and actually enables your opponent to go for Silk Roads quite easily. You give him a lot of Silver. This should let him get an early Province lead, and then allow him to buy Duchy/Silk Road easily, not to mention he can remodel Silver into Silk Road when you cash Gold for Province. Your opponent doesn't green nearly enough in this game.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
Re: I misplayed a Governor board. What should I have done?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:36:54 pm »

Two things to do: First is don't worry too much about it because everybody pretty much misplay Governor from time to time.

Second and more seriously is to take only one Lookout here and it should probably be after Swindler. You need money to get to 5 and then take cards a few times. Seriously. Winning the Governor split 6-4 is being in good position for the rest of the game is good and if you opponent buys Gold instead of Governor like he did it puts you in a really good spot as he lacks all the extra Silver that taking Gold every time gives him.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.