Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 125  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIX: Deep Space Nine Mafia (Day 7)  (Read 267576 times)

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIX: Deep Space Nine Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #650 on: January 09, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »

Edit: still wouldn't lynch Eevee right now

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »

about ashersky, mostly just a list of questions for him it seems

Despite this odd sequence of events, I feel inclined right now to believe ashersky.  I could see myself misspeaking like that.  Is there any sort of other comments you made regarding Cuzz around the time that you misspoke him as "being town" that can prove you thought he was scum then?

Maybe?  #480 I called him on tunnelling, although in a jokey way.  I wouldn't say I "thought he was scum then" so much as thought he was scummy.

What do you mean by this?  What sort of distancing have you seen between me and raerae?

I'm thinking mostly of earlier, especially during my spat with raerae, you kept coming down more on clarifying my side than taking her side.  People assume you two share opinions, but I don't think that's true.  I'm basically arguing against letting the twin claim affect our thinking.

A sort of subsection about Eevee's Munch vote
On Eevee's Munch vote, you needed to give better reasons than you did.  Like, a reason reason.  Bad reasons are fine with me, btw, if they are something you noted and believe.
What do you mean by that last sentence??  "Bad reasons are fine with you, if they are something that Eevee noted and believes"??  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.  As I see it, the problem is that you think Eevee was not voting Munch for good reasons; this below is Eevee's post of reads in which he voted for Munch, I think I clipped it so just his reasons and vote are in there
Sparky is always a super lurker and always scum. Munch has been more active, but hasn't
given me a town vibe. He rarely does though,
but now that I think back of the games we've played I don't think I've read
him wrong THAT often so this would actually be a lynch I could support.

Running out of battery so going to have to cut this one short. Something about the playstyle of munch/shraeye/raerae always reads suspicious to me.
I notice it again here, I wouldn't oppose a case on any of
them and I can't very accurately explain why. I'll Vote: themunch now, but I'm recognizing this problem and my uneasy feeling about him might mean less than it should.
The reasons of lurking, and playing in a manner that feels suspicious appear to be here (though eevee does acknowledge that munch/shraeye/raerae always seem suspicious to him).

What I mean here is that I didn't feel like Eevee gave "reasons" for the vote.  You copied in the information above.  The first part is about Sparky, then Munch, and it reads like a null read to me.  Then we get a comment about the munshraeray triumverate being "suspicious" and an admission that it can't be explained.  Then he votes.  That, to me, reads as voting without real reasons.

So when I say "bad reasons" are okay, I meant that if Eevee had real reasons to vote, even if I thought they were bad, I would accept that the voting itself wasn't scummy, since it was based on something Eevee could articulate (right or wrong in my own view).

But my question to ashersky, what about Eevee's case in particular makes you jump on him.  I feel that this level of reason is on par with people's votes when then argue based on meta-reads.  Like the whole set of people saying "something about eevee feels off" (although this could only be Munch/Robz, those are two that I remember).  Why attack Eevee's vote on Munch as scummy, but not attack Munch's or Robz's vote on Eevee?

I think you are misconstruing my comments on Eevee.  I didn't "jump on him."  I pointed out that the vote was scummy.  I didn't vote for Eevee, as I think everyone thinks happened by now.  I mentioned that Eevee has read differently, too, but haven't used it to vote.  Now, I was on the original wagon, which I already said served its purpose, and have moved on.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 10, 2013, 12:20:54 am »

Thanks for the clarifications, ashersky.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 10, 2013, 12:53:50 am »

ash's recent posts have read towny to me

See, this is what I'm talking about. Saying "X read Y to me" just seems to be coming all too naturally for someone who has never had to make Town/scum reads before. I get the impression that you are offering token reads to make sure that you have some sort of an opinion, similar to what you were doing in ZMIX. Having said that, your second point is more what I would expect.

In ZMIX I pushed hard for a lynch on raerae on D1. Also I'm confused what you mean by token reads? Do you find me scummy because I am not making strong enough reads, or do you find me scummy for making too strong reads as it is my first game as town.

Lastly Jim I believe you have taken my post about ash out of context as you did with your case on eevee to make your argument seem stronger. This seems intrinsically scummy, as you have done it twice now.

Okay, I'll do my best to answer this. You seems to have a problem with clipping quotes, but I'm going to clip them anyway, since otherwise this will be a very long post, and that's what you do when you're talking about one part of a post, and not the full post. If you want the full context, there's a link to each post on top of the quote.

I don't think this is ever a good idea, if you have reads but don't have time to explain them, say that and wait to post reads till you can explain. Saying town read on X and scum read on X with no backup hurts town in my opinion.

Seeing as you said this, you need to be held to this standard just as much as anyone else.

I read through everything and dunno, get a slight scum vibe from eevee and liopoil. To explain eevee reminds me of how he played in the last blits game, and liopoil, well i think I'm just suspicious of him because hes new and when I was new I was scum.

One token read, one joke (just pointing that out because I'm ignoring it). It's easy enough to say "Eevee's scum because he reminds me of his last game". How does he remind you of his last game? Examples?

Long time goes by and he mentions the fact that jimm and eevee could both be scum which is a definite possibility although i'm inclined to thing eevee is town.

Why are you inclined to think Eevee's town? Last we heard from you he was scummy.

Eevee: Wow, through all the town/station case in the end you came out with a pretty null read from me. Your post about Jimm being not a good lynch for today but possible in the future was a pretty solid thought, and I believe you about not caring about the flavor. It is a very complicated universe making it hard for outsiders to understand. Upon reading your opinions on a group of people, I get a scummy vibe from you. Of the 8 people you analysed, which has no order to them, curious how you came up with this group, you found one scum read, galz which you gave no explanation for. You've often said these long post of analysis on people are towny and helpful I do not find yours to be.
So in the end I still have a scum read on you mainly stemming from your analysis post.

Again, what about his analysis post? Point to what he said that you thought was scummy, and why you thought it was scummy.

Went to bed at 11, woke up at 9 to 4 pages!
unvote this is because of two reason, the second being knowingly terrible, 1) ash's recent posts have read towny to me and 2) my scum read on him is from posts pages and pages ago, they have been lost in so many other things I couldn't make a case on him if I was asked to.

How have they seemed towny to you?

As far as TheMunch is concerned, I have pretty much a null read on him, I lean slightly toward scum because when I ctrl/F his name there is a small gap where I assume he was getting caught up, he then posts some reads and information and then another huge gap where he posts nothing.

You think he's scummy because he sleeps? Why do you think these gaps make him scummy?

I do however have a strong scum read on Jim now because of the way he has acted under pressure and because of the case he has made against me. I believe his case against me is poor and flawed, I would like him to answer my previous question or at least explain what he meant. I will quote it in the next post for reference.

How have I acted under pressure? Refer to a post. Why does having what you think is a poor case against you scummy?

(Questions largely rhetorical)

Like I said, I've been getting a weird vibe from you all game, and I think I've figured out why, but I'm not having the easiest time explaining it. I just think that someone in their first game as Town is likely to get to the point where they say "I just don't know! You're ALL scum! But you're all Town!" This can be a very frustrating and confusing game, especially in your first game as Town. But I'm just not getting that "first game as Town" vibe from you. You just seem to me to be chugging along throwing out "reads".

Is this a strong case? I don't know. Obviously mcmc will disagree with it. In general I don't think I have terribly much pull, but mcmc's game has just struck me as a little odd, and hopefully this explains a little clearer why.

Alright, sorry I still suck at quotes so I'm going to answer this from down here.
Eevee: Wow, through all the town/station case in the end you came out with a pretty null read from me. Your post about Jimm being not a good lynch for today but possible in the future was a pretty solid thought, and I believe you about not caring about the flavor. It is a very complicated universe making it hard for outsiders to understand. Upon reading your opinions on a group of people, I get a scummy vibe from you. Of the 8 people you analysed, which has no order to them, curious how you came up with this group, you found one scum read, galz which you gave no explanation for. You've often said these long post of analysis on people are towny and helpful I do not find yours to be.
So in the end I still have a scum read on you mainly stemming from your analysis post.
Above this point I agree with most of what you have said. I should support my reads more and articulate them in posts. As for the post above specifically I do point out what in eevee's analyis I find scummy, its the bolded part. For the last point you make, you believe that as my first game as town I should reach a point where I have no clue what is going on and should not be able to make reads. Well I like to think I've played enough mafia in general and that I am a quick learner, however what I really think is that I don't believe this would help town at all. Throwing out reads, making cases, and trying to keep up is how I am going to be as helpful as possible. Through this whole case I have not voted for you and I showed my reluctance to vote earlier as well. I think this is how I have have manifested my newbieness.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 10, 2013, 01:00:24 am »

For the last point you make, you believe that as my first game as town I should reach a point where I have no clue what is going on and should not be able to make reads.

Jimmmmm has made this point a few times about you.  I think it's silly.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 10, 2013, 01:30:22 am »

For the last point you make, you believe that as my first game as town I should reach a point where I have no clue what is going on and should not be able to make reads.

Jimmmmm has made this point a few times about you.  I think it's silly.

Jimmm's point is not entirely unfounded. My very first game was M-II, where I was scum, and together with Robz, we waltzed our way to a perfect victory. I took MVP and Robz played a strong game himself. In our very next game, M-III, Robz and I both imploded as town D1 because we were both all OVER the place. Going from a position of comfort and knowledge to not knowing who I could trust absolutely KILLED me. Go back and read D1 of M-III and you'll see play that absolutely makes you cringe (granted I went to my grave calling out 2 names - Joth the SK, and Volt, who was Mafia. Robz called out the other two Mafia D1 ;D).

The point though, is that the transition for both Robz and myself sucked. Bad. REAL bad. Of course, to each his own - so mcmc may in fact just be much more comfortable here. But I actually think Jimmm's case has some merit to it here.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:51 am »

To me, Mcmc isn't giving off any of the slightly obvious scumtells that he gave off in Blitz9 (at the time, I thought they were too obvious to be scummy--I know, I know, obvious play is obvious, I suck). So I actually see him as playing one sort of game his first time around, as scum, and now to me at least his play looks much different.

I mean, I caught him saying all sorts of things like "I don't want to seem like I'm doing X" in Blitz9, which I said (I did say it in that thread) were scumtells. Of course he could simply be improving as scum, or his partners telling him not to say those things (and I guess I sort of told him not to say those things in Blitz9), but in a vacuum at least his play is believably different.

Additionally, he's answering questions, giving reads, posting, etc. No, I think those things would be hard for him to do--perhaps triggering the sort of cluelessness Jimm is talking about--if he were scum, Galzria's points about M-III notwithstanding.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 10, 2013, 02:02:14 am »

I've been too busy/tired for mafia most of the day. I'm here now but won't be for long, gonna at least catch up though.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:10 am »

Alright I'm almost finished, through page 26 anyway.

Where I'm at right now:

Jimmmm's case on mcmc looks compelling.

TheMunch does not look any better to me but his calling out of Cuzz makes me want to look at Cuzz more closely.

Shraeye is talking a lot, not making a huge impression, but his play seems to be in line with his past town play.

Need to examine Theorel's case on Shraeye to see if I agree.

Still town read on Jimmmm.

I'm super tired and off to bed.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 10, 2013, 02:59:07 am »

Interesting that a lot of what I say seems quite polarising. Not sure exactly what to make of that.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:33 am »

I think with mcmc it's not just that he should have no idea what's going on. I think generally as a new Townie you try to get yourself into the game by looking very closely at posts and trying to see what you can make of them. Saying things like "His last few posts have been more Towny" etc does not strike me as someone trying to get into the game, it strikes me as someone trying to make sure they are seen to have an opinion.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 10, 2013, 03:27:04 am »

Mcmc, you seem to indicate you have played Mafia elsewhere. How much have you played? Galz, Dsell, do you think if he's played a lot IRL that would make the case less compelling?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 10, 2013, 08:14:09 am »

Mcmc, you seem to indicate you have played Mafia elsewhere. How much have you played? Galz, Dsell, do you think if he's played a lot IRL that would make the case less compelling?

I have played many times at college with my brother starting 5 years ago. Since then I have loved the game hosting it at parties of my own through high school and into my college career. Also once my brother told me about the forums and I decided to sign up, while waiting I also set up a Facebook group to begin playing with them online, I have hosted 2 games in that forum, not to mention discussing theory for a long time with my brother this past break as I knew I would be playing with more advanced players then I am use to.

I think with mcmc it's not just that he should have no idea what's going on. I think generally as a new Townie you try to get yourself into the game by looking very closely at posts and trying to see what you can make of them. Saying things like "His last few posts have been more Towny" etc does not strike me as someone trying to get into the game, it strikes me as someone trying to make sure they are seen to have an opinion.

I don't remember who it was who said it but multiple people agreed although your origional case on eevee was poor it "served its purpose". I am not making sure I am seen to have an opinion I am making sure I have an opinion and I express that however poorly it may be at times(although I'm inclined to think I have expressed myself fairly well) as I cannot trust anyone I find it hard to support other people's cases as it could be mafia. So to be most helpfull to town I feel I should express my opinions and try to make cases as best I can and hope that if I'm right, town will support me and if I'm wrong, town will disagree with me.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 10, 2013, 09:04:45 am »

"So what do you think about this Mirror Universe threat?" Kira asks Odo over a morning raktajino. "I hate my counterpart as much as anyone - that woman makes my skin crawl. But they're pretty busy with their own war. It seems like they only come over here to steal things."

"Hmmmph," says Odo. "I suppose it doesn't matter what universe a person is from. A criminal is a criminal, and I don't much like the thought of them on my station."

Vote Count 1.11

Eevee (2): Cuzz, Robz888
Cuzz (2): Galzria, TheMunch
raerae (1): ashersky
mcmcsalot (1): Jimmmmm
ashersky (1): Glooble
Jimmmmm (3): Shraeye, raerae, yuma
shraeye (1): theorel
TheMunch (1): Eevee

Not Voting (1): Dsell, mcmcsalot

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch

Deadline is January 18 at 7:10 p.m., forum time.

This flavor is just jumping all over the show's timeline. Oh well.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 10, 2013, 09:44:44 am »

Well, as I said, I've PoE'd into this vote, so it's not something I'm super confident about nor do I want to appear such. That being said, sparky posted very little. Don't quote me on this, but I think his posts were long and sort of confusing. I don't know what sparky is like as town, but that's who he is like as scum. This is a very minor point, but sparky not appearing towny to me is certainly a strike against Munch.

Munch hasn't done anything ballistic insane I read can only be done by town, he isn't in crazy tunneling mode, nothing like that. He is posting some, less than I would expect but not by a lot, weighing in on things without really causing too much havoc. I think that's just more scum munch than town munch. I didn't go back to reread if this is accurate, this is me trying to explain the feelings behind me voting for him. I do see how most of it comes down to YMMV/ "you have to take my word for it".

A good point you make here is that TheMunch isn't make bold statements on people, which is a town!munch trait.  He's quite the bold predicter, usually.  So I can see him getting some scum points.

Dont make me talk about Casino until its over, please.

ITS OVER!  YAY!  My response to this is: I definitely took advantage of this in the beginning of casino.  I did notably go overboard in switch, because frankly I was really confident that I was right a lot of the time.  I happened to be wrong BUT I knew you guys recognized that so I faked it.  I think I even remember seeing someone (I think Robz in one of the QTs for Casino) expressing some kind of town read on me for exactly this reason.  Fun fact, in Casino the person I went overboard on was ehunt, my partner.  I wouldn't really put too much weight into whether or not I'm being ridiculous hehe.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 10, 2013, 12:32:57 pm »

scumScore 30 = neutral feels about right for this game.

Okay, well...I was expecting a rebuttal of some sort from shraeye, either an attack of my case, a rebuttal, or an acknowledgement.  But nothing happened.  Well, I'm happy with my vote there for now.  I could see him missing the case, but enough people have commented on it that he would have to be really uninterested not to have checked it.  An unwillingness to address cases against you certainly reads scummy to me, because it says "I don't want to draw attention to this/myself".  I'm willing to hear from others that have more experience with shraeye (in particular as scum), but I seem to remember him defending himself in XVII where he was town (to good effect since we lynched cayvie instead).  scumScore: 40

Regarding current situations:
I agree that defensive Cuzz can be scummy Cuzz.  Certainly a big part of what I found suspicious about him as SK in XVII.  However part of that was also his non-participation when not suspected.  It's hard to determine if this is the same without some period of people not accusing Cuzz (other than the initial weekend).  I think he's a bad lynch until we have the chance to hear more from him.  I think town often get accused of being overly defensive when they're being constantly accused (this is why I've generally disagreed with the idea that pressure helps identify scum).  scumScore: 32.

Eevee still reads slightly scummy, for previously given reasons.  I did not find his Munch-vote particularly scummy because I have definitely felt that way.  Other than that, I haven't found anything particularly town.  scumScore: 33.

Munch has read townie enough to undo the scumminess of Sparky at this point.  I think his comments regarding his changing meta seem genuine to me.  scumScore: 30

Jimmmmm: I disagree with his case on mcmcsalot.  I think that's one of those: this guy has a different play-style than me therefore I think he has a different win-con.  Jimmmmm's being active, driving discussion and picking up a decent amount of heat.  He seems likely enough to be town (but he could be playing a strong scum-game) scumScore: 28

mcmcsalot: already covered the "not overwhelmed townie" case.  As for his actual contributions, they seem reasonable enough, but I know he won the first game as scum by still seeming genuine.  If anything, I'd buy Robz' comments about his lack of scumminess.  scumScore: 30.

Anyways those are the major points I've seen recently, everybody else is still about where they were before.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 10, 2013, 01:39:30 pm »

Regarding current situations:
I agree that defensive Cuzz can be scummy Cuzz.  Certainly a big part of what I found suspicious about him as SK in XVII.  However part of that was also his non-participation when not suspected.  It's hard to determine if this is the same without some period of people not accusing Cuzz (other than the initial weekend).  I think he's a bad lynch until we have the chance to hear more from him.  I think town often get accused of being overly defensive when they're being constantly accused (this is why I've generally disagreed with the idea that pressure helps identify scum).  scumScore: 32.

I have to look back and see if I agree that Cuzz has been defensive, because defensive Cuzz is scum!Cuzz. This has held very true. In M-XII, I don't think he really got too defensive or anything when I repeatedly pressed for him, and he was town. Nor was he defensive at all when I got him mislynched in Blitzwhatever (6 or 7 or something? I was IC, scum Insomniac, shraeye and Munch won). However, he defended himself quite forcefully in M-XVI, and ultimately, we didn't lynch him. Town Vigs had to double-shoot him to get him killed, and he indeed flipped scum.

I'm trying not to rely on metas, but this seems like a more reliable one than most.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »

Bwahaha. My co-mods in Noir are telling me to hurry up and lynch someone here so we can go to night.

I hate multiple scum team Mafia. I feel like a have a vast over abundance of town reads because I can't read disingenuous posting from anybody. If I absolutely had to pick someone right now it would be between four players, I think:

mcmcsalot, Jimmm, Shraeye and Cuzz.

Here's the thing. All of them have done things that make me feel "Hey, that's a townie thing to do." - But I need to remember that scum can have genuine reactions and play in this setup as well. Like... I feel as if I need to disregard my town reads in this setup because the things I normally rely on to indicate town play to me are going to be easily and NATURALLY replicated by scum. Does that make sense?

I'm not saying "Hey, let's lynch all my town reads!" Because that's just stupid - but I do think "townie behavior" is a lot more of a null tell. So I think I need to focus less on identifying things that make me feel a player if town, and more on the things that make me feel a player is scum.

And that brings me back to those 4.

Mcmcsalot: I happen to agree with Jimmm here, based solely on my own personal experiences of being a player who's first game was scum, and second was town. I know as well that I'm not alone in struggling to make that particular transition. I recognize mcmc's defense, and I recognize everybody is different. His defense reads townie to me. But this is something that I think would be easy and natural to fake here as well. So my suspicion remains.

Shraeye: I'm interested in hearing his rebuttal to Theorel's case. I'll admit that I've largely had a town read from him - but that in itself is unusual. I don't want this to become a "he's scummy because he's not scummy!", so I'll disregard that line of thought from any consideration. But his posting HAS been less than I'm used to, and his overall presence in the game is certainly much less than I'm used to. This isn't in keeping with either scum!Shraeye nor town!Shraeye meta's, so I think it needs to be noted for just what it is - unusual. And that for me is largely why he's on this list. His play has just felt off. Maybe it's just that he's busy IRL (he's indicated as such elsewhere), so of the four he's probably lowest on my list. Still, I would consider a lynch here.

Jimmm: I know. Lynching the vocal ones is bad. And vocal is town, right? This is the mindset I'm trying to break away from in this setup. I don't WANT to lynch the big talkers specifically, no. But I think it's a lot easier for people to replicate their town posting meta's as scum in this setup. It isn't something that should get undue town points. Yes, Jimmm has taken a lot of positions and made a lot of cases, and yes that's normally a town trait because it shows a genuine desire to scumhunt - but I don't think in this particular setup that makes him any townier. And if I set aside the "He's posting a lot of stuff" and actually look at the content of what he's posting, I'm left with an overall negative vibe.

Cuzz: I still feel that Cuzz opened the game by making a lot of posts about completely irrelevant things. And not like RVS irrelevant. It felt like he wanted to appear to be contributing meaningfully while not saying anything of value. His early vote on Eevee aside, all his posts were about what the opening post said the setup contained - and they were posted in and around the whole Dsell/Eevee thing. He completely avoided that whole debate while it was happening, even though he had his vote on Eevee from RVS, and was around and posting. It wasn't until much later when I called him out over it that he ever went back and addressed the issue - and that was two days later.

I unvoted Cuzz because I thought his defense read townie to me. I also felt the case that Eevee put together wasn't really much of a case. But as others have pointed out, defensiveness is both a town and scum trait. I'll admit I didn't at all like his OMGUS vote on Eevee. He obviously recognized how weak Eevee's case was, but he got all antsy about the vote. I think that as town he would be much more level headed - maybe voting Eevee eventually if Eevee remains stubborn on a bad case - but not OMGUS voting straight back and claiming he suddenly has good reason to do so. So I'm going to put my Vote: Cuzz back on. Of the four listed, he certainly seems the most "off" if I set aside some of the things that would normally make me lean town.

As for the rest, my biggest town reads are on Eevee and Theorel. Eevee because no matter which way I slice it this isn't a scum!Eevee that I would've ever seen. Could he be scum? Yeah, of course. I just really, really don't think so. Theorel I have a not of a weak spot for reading as town. Everything he posts resonates with me. I may not always share his conclusions, but I always feel like his arguments are made from a town perspective. The only time this wasn't the case, was in the dual-scum M-VI, where I identified him as WW very early D2.

Everyone else kind of falls into the middle. I would be happy to entertain a case on them, but nothing has stood out. Robz and I have had almost polar opposite reads all game,  but I'm not sure if I should take from that "Robz is
scum", or "Robz and I really read things differently". Right now I'm leaning towards the latter. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:28 pm »

@Galz, while it seems to me that we've been reading this really differently, too, if your top 4 are Mcmc, Jimm, shraeye, and Cuzz... we aren't so different after all. I'm unpersuaded on Mcmc, in the middle on shraeye, suspicious of Jimm, and if this defensive thing turns out be accurate, also suspicious of Cuzz.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 10, 2013, 02:19:45 pm »

The big thing we disagree on is Eevee. (Because I'm trying to read him, whereas you are trying to buddy him for auto-towncred in his eyes. Don't even try to deny it.)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:42 pm »

The big thing we disagree on is Eevee. (Because I'm trying to read him, whereas you are trying to buddy him for auto-towncred in his eyes. Don't even try to deny it.)

Ridiculous. The cases you were pushing on him were preposterous. I mean honestly? I've no clue who my character is right this minute. If you asked I would have to check my PM. Shraeye has indicated similar and it's exactly what Eevee said. Yet somehow it's suspicious Eevee doesn't know? Please. I read my PM throughly enough to know what little power my role had, and that I was town. Then I closed it - at the moment Dsell had asked I couldn't have told you "Station-Aligned" without actually checking because it was am irrelevant point to me when I first got my PM.

And at a meta level, what scum game is Eevee mimicking? Honestly, point me the way and I'll go read. This isn't any scum!Eevee I've ever seen, and I've seen scum!Eevee a handful of times. They've all contained similar traits which I've laid out already - traits that this Eevee simply doesn't have.

Mafia Record:

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 10, 2013, 03:19:28 pm »

Ridiculous. The cases you were pushing on him were preposterous. I mean honestly? I've no clue who my character is right this minute. If you asked I would have to check my PM. Shraeye has indicated similar and it's exactly what Eevee said. Yet somehow it's suspicious Eevee doesn't know? Please. I read my PM throughly enough to know what little power my role had, and that I was town. Then I closed it - at the moment Dsell had asked I couldn't have told you "Station-Aligned" without actually checking because it was am irrelevant point to me when I first got my PM.

And at a meta level, what scum game is Eevee mimicking? Honestly, point me the way and I'll go read. This isn't any scum!Eevee I've ever seen, and I've seen scum!Eevee a handful of times. They've all contained similar traits which I've laid out already - traits that this Eevee simply doesn't have.

I still say the case against Eevee was neither ridiculous nor preposterous, although I agree the original pieces of evidence are no longer compelling, and I'm not driving for that lynch very firmly, though I'm not sold on anyone else yet. But look, Eevee is perfectly aware of his town!meta, and while copying your town!meta is easier said than done... I know Insomniac can do it, for instance, and I bet Eevee can, too. And he hasn't felt like town!Eevee to me here the whole game, he seems like he abruptly started acting like town!Eevee at the point at which he was in trouble. And I really dislike when people make the "I don't even know my role PM, that's how much of a disinterested, harmless townie I am!" argument. It always rings false to me. It could be true, but looking up your own PM takes 5 seconds and is so easy to do, there's never actually a situation where it matters that you can't recite your PM off the top of your head. So pointing out that you don't know it always seems like one of those pretty lousy pieces of acquitting evidence than scum would think is really smart to say.

And I don't like when you act like you know everything better than everyone else. Alas, I think you're town when you do that, but you probably think that too, so I'm not going to WIFOM you over your meta. Don't be so overconfident in your language if you're town, man.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 10, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »

@Robz RE Defensive Cuzz is scum!cuz: Read this.  Its cuzz in 545.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 10, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »

Cuzz, how angry would you be if we lynched you? Serious question.

TheMunch

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »

Cuzz, how angry would you be if we lynched you? Serious question.

I like this question a whole lot.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 125  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 20 queries.