Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Moat - Can it block multible attacks from same player?  (Read 10897 times)

Sneckan

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Moat - Can it block multible attacks from same player?
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »

Hi!
Like the topic reads. Ive been playing the game several times with my friends and we are now hocked. We are unsure how to intepret the "Moat card". Clearly it can block attacks from several different players. But can it block a dual attack from one player?
Thanks for you help.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Moat - Can it block multible attacks from same player?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:00:01 pm »

Yes it can
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »

Hi!
Like the topic reads. Ive been playing the game several times with my friends and we are now hocked. We are unsure how to intepret the "Moat card". Clearly it can block attacks from several different players. But can it block a dual attack from one player?
Thanks for you help.

Yes. The only "cost" to activate the reaction of the Moat is to reveal it, and you can reveal it as much as you want. You can even reveal it four times to the same Attack, if you want to! (This wouldn't do anything different from revealing it once, though.)

Sneckan

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »

Thank you very much for clearing this out! :)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:08:32 am »

Just to be clear, you can reveal all reaction cards that say "when you are attacked" in any order and multiple times.

So you could reveal Secret Chamber, draw Moat off the top of your deck, put some cards back, reveal Moat, reveal Secret Chamber again and put Moat back.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:34:07 am »
+2

So you could reveal Secret Chamber, draw Moat off the top of your deck, put some cards back, reveal Moat, reveal Secret Chamber again and put Moat back.

I wonder if anyone who's cited this example has ever had both a Moat and a Secret Chamber in their deck at the same time?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 03:46:38 am »

I wonder if anyone who's cited this example has ever had both a Moat and a Secret Chamber in their deck at the same time?

Does Secret Chamber and Watchtower count?
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110503-000223-7c780c72.html

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:05:59 am »
+3

Uhm, Swindler with Estates gone?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 08:32:39 am »

it took me like ten minutes to get this joke. i was like, wait, but if they play a swindler, ok, you reveal the secret chamber, draw the moat, then put the moat on top because the estates are gone so he'll have to give you another moat or secret chamber for it, but wait, you moated the swindler, that doesn't make sense...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 10:45:31 am »

Uhm, Swindler with Estates gone?

Log or it didn't happen. I just mean it's very commonly referred to when talking about revealing multiple Reactions, but anyone who knows enough about Dominion to know about this edge case is very unlikely to ever actually do it.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:28:16 pm »

Just to be clear, you can reveal all reaction cards that say "when you are attacked" in any order and multiple times.

Technically, no reaction cards say "when you are attacked," and technically, you can't reveal Horse Traders or Beggar more than once :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:12:28 pm »

I can't be bothered to find the log right now, but I have actually done this once. Not sure why I had both in my deck, but I have done the trick.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:15:07 pm »

So, I looked for the log, but couldn't find it. It may have been a RL game then.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:13 am »

Don't worry, I believe you. My point was just, thinking of an edge case wherein an experienced player would have two generally bad cards is different to saying that it actually happened.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:16:58 am »

Don't worry, I believe you. My point was just, thinking of an edge case wherein an experienced player would have two generally bad cards is different to saying that it actually happened.
Moat is a generally bad card?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 03:52:24 pm »

I guess it would be more common in 3p and 4p games as in 2p games you don't buy/need a Moat as often.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 04:11:16 pm »

Moat is a generally bad card?

In 2 player, yes. In 3 or 4 player its much better.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »

I dunno, just because Moat and Secret Chamber are both generally weak cards doesn't mean there aren't plenty of situations where either can be good enough for a good player to use them. And those situations can then co-exist to make both cards good enough to have. And, they even have synergy either each other, outside of the reaction part. Playing Moat, Moat, Secret chamber is the same as playing a Vault (except without helping your opponent). Granted you need lots of Villages. But as long as you have actions to spare, Moat is a Laboratory.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »
+1

I dunno, just because Moat and Secret Chamber are both generally weak cards doesn't mean there aren't plenty of situations where either can be good enough for a good player to use them. And those situations can then co-exist to make both cards good enough to have. And, they even have synergy either each other, outside of the reaction part. Playing Moat, Moat, Secret chamber is the same as playing a Vault (except without helping your opponent). Granted you need lots of Villages. But as long as you have actions to spare, Moat is a Laboratory.

Oh, so you've done it then? :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03:33 am »
+1

No. :P
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:30 am »

No. :P

But it did happen to me!  In fact, it happened to me in a game between me and lespeutere yesterday.  Maybe you don't consider us "experienced" players, but if so, here's the log:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130107-094313-adae7223.html

Scrying Pool game.  My plan was to draw my deck and then use Secret Chamber to discard all of my actions except for 1 SP, then play the SP to auto-draw all of the actions back again.  I love that play.

But I needed a Schemed-Moat to stop his SP and Jestering.  So I got both Moat (to always top-deck with Scheme) and Secret Chamber.

And then today I come here and read this thread.  So crazy!

edit: reading through the log, it seems that I never did reveal a SC to pull in a Moat which I then revealed to cancel the attack, which is apparently the thing being referenced in this thread.  Once my Scheme -> Moat was going, my Moat was always in my hand.  However, before that happened, it was totally possible for things to play out a littler differently and for me to find my Moat with my SC.  I was just so excited to post that I had actually been playing a SC-Moat game.  And with one of the most noteable Dominion players.  :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:19:47 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:43 am »

Hooray! Although still nobody drew a Moat with SC, used it then put it back. But it could have happened.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 10:20:20 am »
+1

Hooray! Although still nobody drew a Moat with SC, used it then put it back. But it could have happened.

You ninja'd my edit.

Yes, I see that now.  But thanks for giving partial credit!  :D :D :D

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:00 am »
+1

And not only COULD it have happened, but early on one can see that it would have been the right play!  At least until the draw engine got going.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »

It's Paddy! Yeaaaaaa! Hi Paddy.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:14 pm »

It's Paddy! Yeaaaaaa! Hi Paddy.

Sup.  Yeah, I know, I'm cheating on my Iso/F.DS diet.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 04:33:22 pm »
+2

Technically, no reaction cards say "when you are attacked," and technically, you can't reveal Horse Traders or Beggar more than once :P

If your draw pile is empty you can reveal beggar, discard it, reveal secret chamber, draw silver, shuffle, draw beggar, discard two other cards and reveal beggar a second time, no?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 04:50:00 pm »

Oh man. If you also have watchtower to trash the incoming silvers, and if your deck and draw pile are empty, you could burn through so many silvers in response to one attack...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »

Oh man. If you also have watchtower to trash the incoming silvers, and if your deck and draw pile are empty, you could burn through so many silvers in response to one attack...

No because the SC has to put two cards back on top of your deck, so you can't keep revealing and discarding the same beggar. At best you can reveal the same beggar twice.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:53 pm »

Oh, right. d'oh.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 12:56:48 am »

Hmm.

Secret Chamber, Beggar, Watchtower, Market Square.

Although I would be seriously worried about my opponent if it was clear I had my entire deck down to those four cards, and they played an attack.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.