Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 17910 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Tactics
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »
+2

This is one of my favourites:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/30/game-20121230-093143-b5a072aa.html

At the end here, I purposely DON'T play my 6th highway (actually, I think it ended up being that I couldn't, but I was planning on not doing it anyway), so that I can buy enough border villages and still have them be expensive enough to gain other things off them, and pile out with a win.
(If you look at the rest of the game, you'll notice that despite some small early differences, I more or less win on first turn, getting the 6-4 on highways. Though Rabid, because he's Rabid, is able to twist quite well to make me earn this one).

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 01:42:48 am »

2B.It doesn't matter. Ok, there are exceptions - opponent's deck attacks (both the trashing kind a la swindler, saboteur) and the filtering kind (fortune teller, Rabble, spy, Jester fits somewhere, too), and if you have something havened coming back to you, or ONE caravan in play from last turn, or if your opponent is going to have you draw with something a la council room.

This isn't quite true. Putting back the Scheme and the Copper would be bad, for example. But yeah, you can either keep TR-Scheme and put back and two of the others, draw them back with TR-Scheme on your turn, spend $3, and topdeck TR-Scheme; or you can just put back TR-Scheme, spend $3, and know that your TR-Scheme is already topdecked.
True. I wasn't even thinking about those cases, because it just isn't a thing to split your actions in a case like this. Like there's no reason you'd even think to.

Somebody edge case me. Okay, possession. Somebody give me a non-possession edge case.

Probably something to do with Swindler.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:12 am »

5 timing for starting greening. you need to factor in A. how well your engine is performing B. how many points your opponent has acquired C. the status of supply piles and D. where you are at with regards to the reshuffle/how fast you are cycling your deck.

I feel like understanding the late game has traditionally been the hallmark of graduating Iso levels:
You get to 20 by understanding Dominion has a distinct late game with its own strategy.
You get to 30 by understanding precisely when the late game starts.
You get to 40 by understanding that the game has a continuous, dynamic flow, and there's no such thing as a distinct late game.

e: welp, I'm responding to a really old post. Guess that's what happens when I don't read threads very often.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:15:14 am by Stealth Tomato »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 11:38:51 am »

5 timing for starting greening. you need to factor in A. how well your engine is performing B. how many points your opponent has acquired C. the status of supply piles and D. where you are at with regards to the reshuffle/how fast you are cycling your deck.

I feel like understanding the late game has traditionally been the hallmark of graduating Iso levels:
You get to 20 by understanding Dominion has a distinct late game with its own strategy.
You get to 40 by understanding that the game has a continuous, dynamic flow, and there's no such thing as a distinct late game.

e: welp, I'm responding to a really old post. Guess that's what happens when I don't read threads very often.

How does one reach 50?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:25 am »
+3

How does one reach 50?

Shell accounts
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »

Hey, then why am I not 40 yet?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:35:15 pm by () | (_) ^/ »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »

Hey, then why am I not 40 yet?

Because you get to 40 by understanding that the game has a continuous, dynamic flow, and there's no such thing as a distinct late game.

(I'm not lvl 40 either)
And by playing a bunch, that's what I did to get to 40. But I also spent a lot of time around these parts of the Dominion forest.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 02:14:05 pm »

How does one reach 50?

If I knew, I'd have done it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 07:56:13 am »
+1

Here's another one: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/07/game-20130107-145123-7dd4fbd7.html
In this game, border village into duchy/duke is generally better than just straight buying it, because we have a handful of terminals each. But there are two exceptions. One is obvious, when hoard is in play. The other? When I buy the last duchy, I could have BVed into it, but don't, because then he has a chance to smuggle the BV, gaining a duke, which I don't want to allow. When he gets the last duke, and this is not *as* important, but still something to think of, he gets the BV, and I am able to smuggle into getting an extra estate out of it, hastening game end (as well as giving me a useful card...)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

How does one reach 50?

No man can gain 50 levels!

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.