Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: ****! (The Censorship Thread)  (Read 25401 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: ****! (The Censorship Thread)
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:17 am »

i played a game against Qvist recently, and chatted in german. there we notice that the word "jap" was censored. Yep, Yap, jep, jap,..... are terms to say "yes" in a more laid back fashion in german. So we were quite surprise to have this censored.

Is it possible that "jap" is considered explicit language in english. Maybe some sort of snidly denomination for Japanese. i really cant think of anything else
Chinks do it, Japs do it
Up in Lapland little Laps do it
Let's do it
Let's fall in love

Cole Porter - Let's Do It

Never be rude to an Arab
An Israeli, or Saudi, or Jew,
Never be rude to an Irishman,
No matter what you do.
Never....(Now it depends on what country you are in now as to where Terry Jones gets blown up)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:51 am »

For Goko I would be surprised if they hand-picked what words to censor - I am betting they had some 3rd party list of words, or censorship option they just turned on.

I bet you're right. That would explain why "crap" shows up in their story while the forum censors it.

It reminds me of watching The Breakfast Club on Fox. The phrase "Eat my shorts" was changed to "Eat my socks." This is the same network that brought us Bart Simpson, who said, "Eat my shorts," many times. But then, I realized that Fox didn't censor the movie; it ordered the movie already censored by someone who thought that shorts was a tad too risqué.
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 09:47:30 am »
+1

Depends on how tight the shorts were...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:23 am »

The other day I was chatting with a guy from the german forums, and the word "weniger" was censored (German for "less"/"fewer"). Anybody an idea what's the point of that?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 04:47:44 am »

The other day I was chatting with a guy from the german forums, and the word "weniger" was censored (German for "less"/"fewer"). Anybody an idea what's the point of that?
Now that I reas it, I think 'weniger' was also the one on the WoW-forums...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:56 am »

This thread made me laugh so hard.

About Weniger, IDK maybe some play off Weiner?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:11 am »

This thread made me laugh so hard.

About Weniger, IDK maybe some play off Weiner?

Sounds a bit far-fetched, but well, it's a possibility at least.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 07:53:31 am »

Yeah, but why would they censor that? I guess some sites are really strict, but WoW? Really?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:17 am »

Yeah, but why would they censor that? I guess some sites are really strict, but WoW? Really?

It censored to "we*!&%$§")", so they obviously took the niger from the english one and replaced them anywhere...
Edit: I'm also quite confident that you can say "weniger" on german wow-forums now, but I haven't tested...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:21:21 am by DStu »

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 08:22:58 am »

It censored to "we*!&%$§")", so they obviously took the niger from the english one and replaced them anywhere...
Edit: I'm also quite confident that you can say "weniger" on german wow-forums now, but I haven't tested...

I don't get it. How is "niger" related to "nigger", except for only differing by one "g"?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2013, 08:27:17 am »

I don't get it. How is "niger" related to "nigger", except for only differing by one "g"?

Probably you should not just exploit the filter that way? But I don't know how common that is.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:34 am »
+1

Sometimes, censor filters will include variants of slurs and swear words.

Although, while one might be tempted to think that people who would use that slur would be attempting to circumvent the filter by omitting a G, I think the truth is that most people who would use that slur are of lower intelligence and can't even spell the slur correctly.

Although, it does make things awkward for that Nigerian prince. How am I to receive my 8 million dollars now?
A man has no signature

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 09:20:48 am »
+3

Well, Niger is a country in its own right, so I feel sorry for them.

> Where are you from?
< I'm from #^$&%
> Excuse me?
< #^$&%
> Fuk off

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:42 pm »
+1

It's the most common substitute if someone intends to get around language filters. Also an easy misspelling by stupid people, such as those who use the word "nigger" in a Dominion chat.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2013, 12:56:31 pm »

It's the most common substitute if someone intends to get around language filters. Also an easy misspelling by stupid people, such as those who use the word "nigger" in a Dominion chat.

Ah I see. Still a bit overkill, and how sad for this already shaken African country...

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »
+4

Cursing is part of the game, they shouldn't censor it...
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »
+9

Cursing is part of the game, they shouldn't censor it...

If their internal censorship subroutine isn't named Moat() or Watchtower(), I will be very disappointed.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »
+2

I don't think we're doing any good by trying to shield young impressionable minds from swear words. For one, they likely already know these words anyway.

And besides, I think intent is far more important than what word was actually used. Censoring the word itself does not stop someone from being insulting or derogatory. When being told the following two sentences…

• That was a fucking awesome move you played.
  • Hurry up you slow idiot. I swear you're doing this on purpose, you jerk.

I would be more offended at the second one even though nothing would be censored (except by those with the most draconian settings that would render the board completely unreadable).

And besides, it's not like censoring will mask the intent. If I'm told, "You're such a #&%*," then I'm going to assume that the person just insulted me. It doesn't matter what word that was; it's been censored, so I'm going to assume the worst, even if it wasn't really an insult. If someone lovingly calls me a putananny, which is the greatest honor you can call someone in his country, I wouldn't know because "puta" got censored. So I'll respond to that person with hostility because it looks like he called me a bad name.

Sometimes people get way too sensitive about things they can't control anyway. Censorship won't stop jerks from spouting off vitriol. Moderators can help, because they can read the intent. The bad thing is moderators can only fix problems after they happen. That's life.[/li][/list]
A man has no signature

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:29 pm »

Man, what the heck, guys. It's an internet game. It's not a forum.

The damage from somebody being unable to curse, or even being unable to say legit things that happen to seem like curse words, is far, far less than the damage from someone being driven away from the game due to offense or due to slurs.

I am all for entirely heavy-handed censorship in a medium such as that.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
+1

As an honest answer: they can censor it all they want, just allow me to turn off censorship and mute people.  (Do they give this option?)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »

I am totally a fan of opt-in (or even opt-out) language filters. Alternatively, language filters that change words to other words, like "fuck" to "hug" or "lovingly caress". Or "Shaq-Fu".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2013, 03:25:38 pm »

I am totally a fan of opt-in (or even opt-out) language filters. Alternatively, language filters that change words to other words, like "fuck" to "hug" or "lovingly caress". Or "Shaq-Fu".

Change "nigger" to "member of everyone's favorite ethnicity."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:00 pm »

I was going to say this too.  Some years ago I hung around the shirt.woot.com forums a lot.  Woot does a lot of this word swapping, for great hilarity.  Word swapping is not necessarily limited to curses either.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2013, 04:33:21 pm »

As an April Fools' joke, a board that I used to frequent set up word filters for totally innocuous, common words and rendered everyone unintelligible for a day.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »

Ah I see. Still a bit overkill, and how sad for this already shaken African country...

Overkill, sure.  But it's the most common variant of what is arguably the single most taboo word in American English.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 2.246 seconds with 21 queries.