Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kingdoms and Expansions  (Read 1877 times)

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Kingdoms and Expansions
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:49:09 am »
+1

Hi all,

I was wondering what your guys favorite kingdom is to play with? I was also wondering what expansions you like to mix with together? If you could please let me know that would be terrific!

Tuyolqx
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:52:45 am by Tuyolqx »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdoms and Expansions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:51 am »
+3

Mix in ALL THE EXPANSIONS!

Playing IRL I'll sometimes use a Recommended Set from the rulebooks, but those only combine two expansions. I had a lot of fun* with the Dark Ages/Cornucopia set Dark Carnival: Band of Misfits, Cultist, Fortress, Hermit, Junk Dealer, Knights / Fairgrounds, Hamlet, Horn of Plenty, Menagerie

*warning: this lead to a very long four player game. One of my sisters had only played Dominion a couple times, and my other sister and my mother also took a while deciding what strategy to pursue, so it wasn't a terribly fast-paced set.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:01:02 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »
+1

Well I love Goons engines. I also enjoy when the strongest engine to build consists of 4- cost cards. I mix all expansions in IRL. As for my favorite expansions, definitely:

1) Dark Ages
2) Prosperity
3) Seaside
4) Hinterlands
5) Cornucopia
6) Alchemy
7) Base
8 ) Intrigue

P.S. Welcome to the forums, Tuyolqx! I would consider writing an introduction in the "Introductions" thread.
P.S.S. I have played Tuyolqx IRL multiple times, and he is probably ~ level 25. He just joined the forums and Iso.

warrior297
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:04:09 pm by warrior297 »

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:59 pm »
+1

I had a lot of fun* with the Dark Ages/Cornucopia set Dark Carnival: Band of Misfits, Cultist, Fortress, Hermit, Junk Dealer, Knights / Fairgrounds, Hamlet, Horn of Plenty, Menagerie

*warning: this lead to a very long four player game. One of my sisters had only played Dominion a couple times, and my other sister and my mother also took a while deciding what strategy to pursue, so it wasn't a terribly fast-paced set.

What strategy did you find to be the most dominant on this board?

warrior297

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:06:39 pm »
+1

Mix in ALL THE EXPANSIONS!

Playing IRL I'll sometimes use a Recommended Set from the rulebooks, but those only combine two expansions. I had a lot of fun* with the Dark Ages/Cornucopia set Dark Carnival: Band of Misfits, Cultist, Fortress, Hermit, Junk Dealer, Knights / Fairgrounds, Hamlet, Horn of Plenty, Menagerie

Thank you that sounds like a lot of fun, the longest IRL dominion game I've played was probably 2 hours!

Tuyolqx
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:07:47 pm by Tuyolqx »

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »
+1

Yeah I think that game was approaching 2 hours.

I was the only one who went for Cultists (my family has this weird aversion to Attack cards; they don't like getting hurt by them, but they also don't seem to want buy any for themselves). I think after I had 3 Cultists my next $5 buy was HoP, I ended up with 2 Junk Dealers, Sir Michael, a Fortress, all supporting a nice Hamlet/Menagerie engine. My grand finale was a HoP-->Province mega turn.
With more experienced players, the Ruins would definitely be more evenly distributed, so I'm not sure I could just try the exact same thing and still win big.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:18:06 pm »

Yeah I think that game was approaching 2 hours.

I was the only one who went for Cultists (my family has this weird aversion to Attack cards; they don't like getting hurt by them, but they also don't seem to want buy any for themselves). I think after I had 3 Cultists my next $5 buy was HoP, I ended up with 2 Junk Dealers, Sir Michael, a Fortress, all supporting a nice Hamlet/Menagerie engine. My grand finale was a HoP-->Province mega turn.
With more experienced players, the Ruins would definitely be more evenly distributed, so I'm not sure I could just try the exact same thing and still win big.

Cool! I find the same thing with attack cards when playing with my family.

warrior297

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »
+1

Each of the expansions has cards I love to play with, so mix 'em in it is.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:34:27 pm »
+1

I always mix them together.  I don't have them all yet, but I'm getting there!  As for kingdoms, any that promote interesting strategies would be what I like.  I like engines, so I like those, but I also like strange strategies that work.  Like when my brother built a bizarre bazaar engine (granted, he had several duration cards that were drawing him things).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.269 seconds with 21 queries.