Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Saboteur Killed Me  (Read 2940 times)

kipkoan

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Saboteur Killed Me
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:28:29 pm »

I don't have the log(*), but the supply was:

• Fairgrounds
  • Saboteur
  • Hunting Party
  • Workshop
  • Woodcutter
  • Farming Village
  • Shanty Town
  • Silk Road
  • Moneylender

... plus one more... I think it might have been Chancellor, but I'm not sure.

I was just going to do a Moneylender + Big Money + Woodcutter deck, maybe throwing in a Hunting Party or something helpful.  But, my opponent quickly got a Saboteur (we both opened Silver + Moneylender).  I wasn't sure how to defend against it on this board, so I bought a Saboteur, too, and then it became a Saboteur war which I lost.

What is the best strategy against the Saboteur here?  If it is a Saboteur war, then does it just come down to luck on whose Saboteur kills the most important cards first?

(*) Is there a way to find the log of a game I played on Isotropic using CouncilRoom or something?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:02:34 pm by kipkoan »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Saboteur Killed Me
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:58:23 pm »
+1

HP into terminal is pretty solid. Not sure about HP into FV/HG engine with Sab support, though. Sab likes to be played repeatedly and is an annoyance for Fairgrounds, and there is good support for an engine that plays Sab as its payload, but the amount of VP cards in this kingdom is a real problem because an opponent can just go Province -> Fairgrounds -> SR -> Estate, still score a lot of points despite Sab, and run down the piles when he gets hit.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:11:45 am »
+1

Is it Hunting Party or Hunting Grounds?  You list HP but then you talk about HG.

Did you have Shelters?  If so, FG might have been good to go for despite Saboteur.  HP becomes weaker in a Shelters game.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:45 am »

Oh, I totally saw both of them on accident.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:27:32 am »
+1

I'm pretty sure it's Hunting Party, because this was an Iso game.

Hunting Party + Woodcutter big money is pretty strong once it gets going. Sab hitting could slow you down if it hits Gold, but my instinct is that it won't be that fast.

However, I think Woodcutter/Workshop + Silk Road could outrace HP and Saboteur. The problem is that if Saboteur hits your Silk Roads, it hurts massively.

As for defending against Saboteur in general, it's surprisingly difficult. You can pick up lots of Silvers/$3 cards (Woodcutter and Workshop can help with this here), but it's more just stalling the issue. Buying Saboteur yourself should only be if you're sure that Saboteur is a good idea (as in, ignoring it will almost certainly fail). Otherwise you're just playing the same strategy from behind.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:30:38 am »
+1

Is there a way to find the log of a game I played on Isotropic using CouncilRoom or something?
You can access a list of your recent games from your page on Council Room (which you can get to by clicking your Isotropic username to the left of one of your posts).  This is the game you're after.

I don't think Saboteur is too important here.  Workshop, Farming Village and Silk Road look like a pretty fast rush that will be reasonably resilient against Saboteurs; by the time you're picking up Silk Road you'll have lots of $3+ cards in your deck to slow them down.

ShinKyo

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:41:42 am »

What is the best strategy against the Saboteur here?  If it is a Saboteur war, then does it just come down to luck on whose Saboteur kills the most important cards first?
Best strategy: Not to buy the f* Saboteur! Most of the time this is the right decision. You'd had an easy game with Moneylender, Hunting Party and BigMoney.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:10:06 am »
+1

Not to buy the f* Saboteur! Most of the time this is the right decision. You'd had an easy game with Moneylender, Hunting Party and BigMoney.

Actually the simulator gives this 55-40 to the saboteur. Chancellor/hunting party seems stronger though, so remember not to overlook the chancellor in a money deck. Workshops+silk roads still seems the best option and is very robust against the saboteur.

kipkoan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:03:53 pm »

Sorry about not replying sooner, everyone... I had notify on, but haven't received any notifications.  I'll check my spam folder in a bit.

Is it Hunting Party or Hunting Grounds?  You list HP but then you talk about HG.

Oops, I fixed it.  It was Hunting Party.

Did you have Shelters?

No.

kipkoan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »
+1

Is there a way to find the log of a game I played on Isotropic using CouncilRoom or something?
You can access a list of your recent games from your page on Council Room (which you can get to by clicking your Isotropic username to the left of one of your posts).  This is the game you're after.

Thank you!!

I don't think Saboteur is too important here.  Workshop, Farming Village and Silk Road look like a pretty fast rush that will be reasonably resilient against Saboteurs; by the time you're picking up Silk Road you'll have lots of $3+ cards in your deck to slow them down.

Yeah, I think that would have worked great.

kipkoan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »

Chancellor/hunting party seems stronger though, so remember not to overlook the chancellor in a money deck.

I'm not good enough to know when to put my deck into my discard pile.  I'm thinking it's when I've seen most of my good cards already?  But then I have to keep count, and I'm not to that level yet.   :-\

Is there anything else about Chancellor that makes it a better choice than a silver?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »
+1

I'm not good enough to know when to put my deck into my discard pile.  I'm thinking it's when I've seen most of my good cards already?  But then I have to keep count, and I'm not to that level yet.   :-\

Is there anything else about Chancellor that makes it a better choice than a silver?

Then always do it. Most of the time, you'll at least be adding the new card you bought this turn to your new deck, and if you played any hunting parties, you'll want those to be back in your deck anyways.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »
+1

Really, unless you know that, like, 2 of the last 5 cards in your deck are Hunting Parties, then discard with Chancellor.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:26:02 am »
+1

I would go so far as to say:

In general, when a card says "you may do X", then do X unless you can think of a specific reason on the spot not to.

Some general reasons, off the top of my head, not to discard with Chancellor:

* You haven't yet played a linchpin card this shuffle (e.g. Tactician - something that you're not trying to get a lot of, anyway).

* You have a draw card in hand and an action to play it with, and you don't want to trigger a reshuffle.

* You have a draw card in hand and an action to play it with, and you just topdecked something that you want to draw.

* You think this will be the last shuffle for you if you don't discard, and you've been greening heavily.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.