Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession and on-Trash effects  (Read 2962 times)

SpinBlack

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Possession and on-Trash effects
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:42:04 pm »

Quick question regarding trashing a Possessed player's cards. When you trash a card in their hand, does it count as "trashed" for cards that care about trashing such as Market Square?

any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn.

Say that you possess a hand containing Copper, Junk Dealer, and Market Square. You play JD and you "trash" the Copper. Can you reveal MS to gain a Gold even though his Copper never visits the trash (it is set aside like you would set aside actions for Library)?

Thanks.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Possession and on-Trash effects
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:52:33 pm »
+1

Yes.

And trashed cards do visit the trash; they're just removed from the trash immediately afterward.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:04:14 am »

Finer-detailed point: Is possession's effect an on-trash trigger, and if so, can that can be re-ordered if there are multiple on-trash effects?

Say for example, you are Possessing someone and you make them trash a Fortress. Do you have a choice between resolving Possession first (set aside) vs Fortress first (goes into hand)?

If so, is there some hilarious way that I can abuse this? I don't think that there is--as far as I'm aware, Possession and Fortress are the only two "moving" on-trash triggers.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:19:18 am »
+1

Finer-detailed point: Is possession's effect an on-trash trigger, and if so, can that can be re-ordered if there are multiple on-trash effects?

Say for example, you are Possessing someone and you make them trash a Fortress. Do you have a choice between resolving Possession first (set aside) vs Fortress first (goes into hand)?

Yes.

If so, is there some hilarious way that I can abuse this? I don't think that there is--as far as I'm aware, Possession and Fortress are the only two "moving" on-trash triggers.

Yeah, not that I can think of. Well, pulling the trick with Fortress and setting it aside first (so that, by lose-track, it doesn't go back into hand) can make your opponent's Fortress a little more likely to miss a reshuffle... but it's still probably more useful to put it back into hand and get some use out of it this turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

Yes.

Yeah, not that I can think of. Well, pulling the trick with Fortress and setting it aside first (so that, by lose-track, it doesn't go back into hand) can make your opponent's Fortress a little more likely to miss a reshuffle... but it's still probably more useful to put it back into hand and get some use out of it this turn.

Unless you're trashing his entire deck and leaving him with a Forge-only hand next turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »

Unless you're trashing his entire deck and leaving him with a Forge-only hand next turn.
How will you do that with Forge? Do forged cards not getting set aside and during clean up put in discard?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »
+1

How will you do that with Forge? Do forged cards not getting set aside and during clean up put in discard?

Trashed cards get put in the discard after their turn is over.  Here would be the order of events:

1. Play Possession while making him draw his whole deck (with council room and governor)
2. Play Forge on his turn, "trashing" his whole deck (but instead set aside all the cards)
3. Finish his turn, and during clean-up the Forge will be the only things put in the discard so now he only has a Forge in his hand
4. Return "trashed" cards to the discard
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:27:07 am »

But in that case, they would still get the Council Room, Governors, or whatever else you made them play that turn. And using those, they could draw back whatever you had trashed for them. Unless you trashed those with Procession, in which case they would still start with the Procession but not anything else.

Point is, you need to get them down to less than 5 un-trashed cards total, including cards in play, deck, and discard. Those mostly seems feasible with either Processioning something for Draw + Forge for trashing, or else a Golden Deck to start with.

[edit] Oh I get it, you mean play your own CR/Governor to make him draw his whole deck. That would work too.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:28:29 am by PSGarak »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 04:32:39 am »
+1

Ideally play King's Court/Forge and trash the cards in sets whose costs add up to $11. (If it's not a Colony game, how on Earth do you have time to set up Possession gimmicks?)
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 06:06:53 am »
+1

(If it's not a Colony game, how on Earth do you have time to set up Possession gimmicks?)

You build an engine.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:07:21 am »

I guess if you can reliably use Council Room/Governor with Possession every turn, then you can be slow enough to do whatever you want because they won't get any more turns. And if there's Ambassador or Masquerade on the board, you don't even have to start before they've got half of the victory points, and they don't even have to buy the Forge themselves. So I suppose if it's a continuous pin rather than a cute gimmick, then you have plenty of time to set up.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.