Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The other seven cards  (Read 9029 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
The other seven cards
« on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:23 am »
+1

Assuming the set generator spoiler is correct and there are 13 kingdom cards in Guilds, that makes 130 + 13 randomizers = 143 cards, leaving 7 left for a 150 card set.  I doubt we'd be getting that many blank cards this late in the expansions.

Possibilities:
-3 Victory kingdom cards, one blank card
-Tournament-esque card
-Supply pile with fewer cards (like Rats had more)
-Special cards that aren't meant to go into your deck?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: The other seven cards
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:45:06 am »

I'll guess
1) 1 Victory kingdom card
2) 5 unique cards which are gained tournament-style.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:20:33 am »

Maybe some tokens or mats, but I doubt we'll see any more of those.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:30:45 am »

There could be some complexity here. Guild cards could allow you to gain workers cards. Workers could be actions that behave similarly to spoils. Workers would not need any randomizer.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:52 am »

Seven cards left over?  That's exactly what this fan card of mine was designed to account for.  Hmm...
Well you *do* need a signature...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »
+2

1 Kingdom Victory card
5 blanks

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:25 am »

Seven cards left over?  That's exactly what this fan card of mine was designed to account for.  Hmm...

That would be cool, but if onigame's randomizer app can be believed, Guilds only has 13 Kingdom cards and I'm guessing that none of them is a stack of 20 this time.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:51 am »
+1

My guess is there will be five non-kingdom cards - these will be the Guilds.

One possibility is that they'll be permanent rule-changing cards, like "Whenever you gain a Victory card, gain a Curse" or something like that.

Another is that you choose a Guild at the beginning of the game (or choose through a kingdom card), and it gives you a permanent bonus, like "At the start of each turn, +1 Card" or something like that.  You would only be allowed one of these.  If this were the case, there might not be any new kingdom Victory cards, to allow for a 6-player game.  Or it could be five, and the 6th player would just be screwed.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 11:17:18 am »

One possibility is that they'll be permanent rule-changing cards, like "Whenever you gain a Victory card, gain a Curse" or something like that.

Another is that you choose a Guild at the beginning of the game (or choose through a kingdom card), and it gives you a permanent bonus, like "At the start of each turn, +1 Card" or something like that.  You would only be allowed one of these.  If this were the case, there might not be any new kingdom Victory cards, to allow for a 6-player game.  Or it could be five, and the 6th player would just be screwed.

You could allow a player to take whichever guild card desired and play it.

Just a thought, but what if there's a stack of 15 this time?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »
+1

You could allow a player to take whichever guild card desired and play it.

Just a thought, but what if there's a stack of 15 this time?

It would have to be a card that made sense having that large of a stack.  Rats has 20 cards so the pile doesn't empty too quickly.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »

It would have to be a card that made sense having that large of a stack.  Rats has 20 cards so the pile doesn't empty too quickly.
The "X Guild: something something trash this and gain an X Guild" mechanic with a stack of increasingly powerful cards is what springs to mind when I hear the name.  That might need a large stack to make it work.  (An alternative to prevent the pile running out might be having the upgrade be an option you can choose over the card's normal ability.)  It feels like it could be tricky to balance with different numbers of players though.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 08:12:46 pm »

The "X Guild: something something trash this and gain an X Guild" mechanic with a stack of increasingly powerful cards is what springs to mind when I hear the name.  That might need a large stack to make it work.  (An alternative to prevent the pile running out might be having the upgrade be an option you can choose over the card's normal ability.)  It feels like it could be tricky to balance with different numbers of players though.

I like the idea of a stack that increases in strength.  It's a mechanism not yet used.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:04 pm »

Another possibility: Guilds care about expansions (yes, maybe not really likely to come true but still a nice idea...). There are 6 cards (for each player one, since you can play Dominion up to 6) that show which symbol (the little on the right on each card) stands for which expansion (horse for cornucopia,etc.), only for faster playing. And the 7th is a blank card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

The horse is for Hinterlands.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:36 am »
+2

7 Blanks

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:43:40 pm »

If one of the cards in the box is a "Hold this against your smartphone for something fun in the online game" promo,  would that count toward the 150, or are those printed differently and as such wouldn't be part of the batch?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »

If one of the cards in the box is a "Hold this against your smartphone for something fun in the online game" promo,  would that count toward the 150, or are those printed differently and as such wouldn't be part of the batch?

It's separate.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 11:19:33 am »
+2

1 Kingdom Victory card
5 blanks

I still maintain my guess was correct.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:00 pm »

Does anyone know how many blanks have been in each expansion? 5 sounds like a lot to me.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »
+2

Does anyone know how many blanks have been in each expansion? 5 sounds like a lot to me.

Dominion: 7
Intrigue: 7 (1 placeholder)
Seaside: 12 (1 placeholder)
Alchemy: 0 (Potions filled this space)
Prosperity: 1
Cornucopia: 0 (Prizes filled this space)
Hinterlands: 8 (1 placeholder)
Dark Ages: 0 (Spoils filled this space)

Seaside is the set with the most wasted space. There could have been another Kingdom card there.

Since none of the Guilds Kingdom cards needs extra cards, there's nothing to fill the space. It's possible we'll see more than one Victory card in the set, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:00:50 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:03:33 pm »

Seaside is the set with the most wasted space. There could have been another Kingdom card there.

Base set has randomiser placeholders for the 7 base cards, so another card could have fit in there as well.

Also there's no good reason for the randomisers not to be included in the actual deck. It would have been so easy to do something like put a red expansion symbol to signal the randomiser card. It's what Donald X himself did, and how he made the Black Market deck work. That's at least 2 extra kingdom cards in every big box, and 1 in every small.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 07:13:36 pm »
+1

Base set has randomiser placeholders for the 7 base cards, so another card could have fit in there as well.

Also there's no good reason for the randomisers not to be included in the actual deck. It would have been so easy to do something like put a red expansion symbol to signal the randomiser card. It's what Donald X himself did, and how he made the Black Market deck work. That's at least 2 extra kingdom cards in every big box, and 1 in every small.

Without fail, everyone I show Dominion to wants to put the randomizer into the kingdom pile, so it's not that weird of a thing to do.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 05:20:34 am »
+1

I've definitely played some games with 13 Provinces.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:46 am »

Without fail, everyone I show Dominion to wants to put the randomizer into the kingdom pile, so it's not that weird of a thing to do.

I remember being really confused my first couple games trying to figure out why some of the cards appeared to have blue backs while others didn't.  I hadn't realized that even the base treasures and victory cards had randomizers, so those were all shuffled right in.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:54 am »

There's certainly a good reason.  Maybe the reason isn't good enough in your opinion to outweigh the good reasons against distinct randomizers, but I think it's nice to have the randomizers.  If it there weren't this hard cap of 500 cards on a set, I don't think anyone would make posts complaining that randomizers were included.  It's only when we feel that their inclusion cost us a new kingdom card that we balk.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.707 seconds with 20 queries.