Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: drawing copper cards vs just using values on action cards  (Read 3060 times)

gjarreau

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
drawing copper cards vs just using values on action cards
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:26 pm »

If I play an action card that says +2 copper on it. Do I add 2 more copper cards to my deck or do I just use the +2 value in the buy phase?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: drawing copper cards vs just using values on action cards
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »

You just use the +2 coin value in your buy phase.  As a guard against confusion, it's worth training yourself to see a +$2 symbol on an action card as "+2 coins" rather than "+2 copper."  "Copper" refers to the card named "Copper," which provides you with "1 coin" to spend in your Buy Phase.  Similarly, the Silver card is worth 2 coins, not 2 copper.  Nitpicky, but it'll help keep the rules straight in your head.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:31 pm »

There are no cards that say +2 copper on them. What you have are cards that say +$2 (well it's got 2 in a coin symbol, but I can't make that here). And that gives you 2 coin (what it's officially called), which is like having 2 money to spend (money empties at the end of your turn, so if you don't use it all, you lose what you don't use; you still shouldn't always use it all). So basically +2 in the buy phase.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »

I would suggest sitting down with the rulebook, reading the entire thing carefully, and going through the examples presented using the real cards. This will clear up a lot of confusion like the question you're asking here.

gjarreau

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:11:13 pm »

Thanks for your answers. I did read the rules a couple times and continue to refer to them, but this was not clear to me. Now it is. It's great to have a place where we can ask questions.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:45:35 pm »

"Carefully" was the operative word, if you've already read through the rules ;) Going through the examples with the cards is also very helpful. Under "Common terms used on the Action cards" in the rulebook you'll find this:

"+ X (coin symbol)" – the player has X number of additional coins to spend in the Buy phase. The player does not take additional Treasure cards for these coins.

I don't mean to completely discourage you from asking questions, but this particular question makes me think you're probably playing any number of other rules wrong without even realizing it. Related to your first question, "+$2" on a card means you have $2 more to spend during the buy phase; it doesn't mean you gain a Silver. "2 (coin symbol)" means 2 coins. It appears on the Silver card because the Silver card gives you 2 coins when you play it during your Buy phase.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 10:34:48 am »

I like rulebooks. I mean, I really like reading them in detail. Especially funny ones, which often join me in the bathroom.

But I understand that most people 'read' the rules by skimming them just enough so they can play the game. guided is right, that rule is clear in the book, but I can see how someone could skip over it even if they read the book. Not everyone is crazy like me.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:04 pm »

Yep, it's totally understandable to miss some rules! I'm not trying to be mean here, haha.

I just love this game so much that I worry when I think a burgeoning new player might have their experience lessened by playing some rules wrong, and unless somebody is teaching you the game the only way to get it right is to be really careful about reading the rulebook.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.1 seconds with 20 queries.