Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Conspirator engine without trashing  (Read 946 times)

Saposhiente

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Conspirator engine without trashing
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:02:35 pm »

Okay, so I just now had a game with Conspirator where on the one hand there's no trashing, and on the other hand there's a Jester to fill my deck with Copper and Curses, but in the soul, ALL of the other 8 cards are good Conspirator enablers. (Warehouse, Worker's Village, Cartographer... pretty much just missing Peddler)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/24/game-20121224-175858-380bd6ef.html
I get one turn with 2 provinces and another turn with 3 provinces but lose anyway by 3 points. Is there something I should have done better, did I lose by dumb luck, or was I just crazy to attempt it at all?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Conspirator engine without trashing
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:23:08 pm »
+4

I think one common fallacy with Conspirator is that any time it is used, it must be the linchpin of an engine. That's not true at all. Here there are good non-Conspirator engines: WV/Hamlet + Nobles and Warehouse/Hamlet/Jester/Pawn + Library (the latter is probably stronger, but Nobles is a strong consideration in this kingdom no matter what, and the two engine types are not mutually exclusive). Jester is strong in the engine because it's very likely to grab extra pieces in a mirror match, and if it doesn't, then it gives out something bad.

The key here is the Conspirator is relatively cheap, it's a cantrip when it's activated, and it generates a good amount of money. So it fits well into both of these engines, which will naturally activate Conspirators when they get going. But if you go out of your way to activate Conspirators instead of letting them naturally complement your engine, then you're not getting the full benefit out of them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:25:20 pm by dondon151 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.