Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages online  (Read 198062 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages online
« Reply #625 on: October 23, 2013, 05:10:11 am »

I'm in too many games... but I can't resist... /in

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 27, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »

I am glad to see you've caught the TTA bug, Ahoppy. I told you it was a great game! :)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 27, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »

Hahaha oh it is, I just wish I could play IRL :P  I'm still not good at it, but it is probably my favorite game right now.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2013, 08:13:15 pm »

Did you get a chance to play it IRL at all?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 27, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

I played the full game once before I left for France.  And I didn't bring it with me :(  I also lost that first full game pretty badly

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 31, 2013, 01:45:36 pm »

#73 up
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 01, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 10, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »

#74 Up, 3 player, standard

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 11, 2013, 03:47:31 am »

#74 Up, 3 player, standard
in and running
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 11, 2013, 08:02:41 am »

So are you Paul? :P

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 11, 2013, 12:52:25 pm »

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 11, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »

Ah... so ipofanes is Johannes.  Got it :P

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2013, 12:30:53 am »

#75, 4p global

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 12, 2013, 03:13:52 am »
+2

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »
+1

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 13, 2013, 06:44:42 am »

So I want to talk some strategy in here... Again, it's going to be mostly about military.  How does one build up enough military to just defend?  If I'm not planning on going on the attack and I just want to make sure my Civ is safe, when do I focus on military, how much is enough?  Also, how do you effectively use territories?  I still can't seem to figure that out.  When should I be seeding them and should you keep some units not in your tactic just to go after colonies?  Is it viable to have a strategy that specifically goes after a bunch of colonies?  If I were to go for a military domination strategy, how do you then win the game?  It seems like if you tie that many resources up in military, you then don't have enough to score culture.

Also, I feel like I get caught up in building wonders.  An age 3 wonder seems like a great way to score points, but is it worth building other wonders? 

I just kind of feel like when I play, I build things that I think are good, but I don't really have much of a plan for my civilization going into the end game and the end usually surprises me.  Should I plan out a direction to take my civ from the beginning, or just do what's best as it comes up?  Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to know what you guys think.  Thanks!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 13, 2013, 07:12:21 am »

It's hard to have a strategy that specifically goes after colonies because if you have, say, the Colossus and Cartography, and the other players are reasonably competent, they are not going to be seeding any colonies. At least not any good ones.

How much is enough military? Enough to not be last in military. It depends on the table, and how much they're building up. Generally I try to get either Swordsmen or Knights and a tactic by the end of Age I. Ideally you'll get Swordsmen and Knights, because they're cheap and give you a ton of flexibility in age II to match with a new Tactic. Being within one Defense Card of the leader is a nice safe second place (even if you don't have the defense card).

Effectively using territories -- the ones that give Yellow tokens are generally the best. They let you spend way less effort on food for the whole game. Fertile and Inhabited territory are often worth throwing all your military and cards at, and you should never be seeding them unless you expect to have a good chance at winning them. You can generally rebuild at least part of your military the next turn because they give you dudes (/food) back, and you should have a reasonable rock supply from somewhere by the time age I events start popping.

Developed and Strategic are both good too, but second tier compared to the first two. Developed gives you yellow token still, the science and blue token are just bonus. Strategic helps you find more events, and gives you a permanent military boost to make those events better, and also helps cover your butt for the round after you win it when your military is low.

Wealthy and Historic are not a big deal. Blue tokens are mostly unimportant, so Wealthy just let's you convert food, rocks, and military actions into rocks. Sometimes this is reasonable, sometimes not. Historic is points and a little happy, it can be worth throwing a dude at for the happy face, or at the end of the game points are reasonable.

Wonders are worth it when they're worth it. (Ha, depends on the kingdom) Obviously they're better if you're making lots of rocks and worse if you aren't. They are a big time investment too, to pick up and to finish, so make sure you're getting something decent out of the deal. Age III wonders can be worth tons of points, but points are worth just the same as log as you finish by the end of the game, so don't feel like you have to scramble to finish one unless you need to pick up another age III wonder.

Military domination and winning the game -- it's hard to convert being 1st in military into winning, but it's easy to covert being last into losing. Being 1st in military mainly means that you get the freedom to seed all the events that benefit you, you can take potshots with aggressions, and no one can ruin YOUR day with Raid II. A big war for points can be a nice windfall, but you can't win off the back of that alone.

If I'm playing Global, I like to take a look at the available leaders and wonders before my first torn, to get a general feel of what will be available. I especially look to see A. If Napoleon is in the game, and B. What age III wonders will be there. Knowing the Olympic Games will be out and John Paul II won't, or vice versa, may help inform whether you pick up Bread and Circuses or Theology, for example.

All this is with the caveat that I'm not expert at through the ages. I win occasionally. But it's a fun game, and I enjoy playing it reasonably competently. :)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 13, 2013, 09:50:03 am »
+1

When Hammurabi is in the game, does anyone else think that the game should also contain Sargon, Ashurbanipal, and Gilgamesh?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:51 am »

Disclaimer: Not an expert by a long shot.

It's hard to have a strategy that specifically goes after colonies because if you have, say, the Colossus and Cartography, and the other players are reasonably competent, they are not going to be seeding any colonies. At least not any good ones.
If colonies are your only green cards and you refrain from seeding them, you miss out on culture points and being the first to benefit from Age A events.

Forefather Czech complements a Territory Strategy nicely as it is more likely you seed the good ones yourself.

Other leaders to consider are Moses and Barbarossa who are better at replenishing your colonists.

Colonies, like Military, don't eat your wonder civil actions or building limit. So they are an attractive way to expand.

As for military: Being second and not trailing more than a Defense card worth is comfortable, but sometimes you have to settle for less. Not being last at the end of your turn should be a high priority, as event attrition can be hard. A solid military lead which allows you to dash out attacks which hand you resources may let you stay at Bronze until the end of the game.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »
+1

When Hammurabi is in the game, does anyone else think that the game should also contain Sargon, Ashurbanipal, and Gilgamesh?

Well, yes, except for Ashurbanipal, who says my haircut makes me look like a Mohenjo-daroan.

No gum for him!
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 24, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »

With the last game just finishing, I noticed I wasn't in any more TtA games.

This is now being rectified. 79 and 78 up.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 24, 2013, 02:23:06 pm »

If colonies are your only green cards and you refrain from seeding them, you miss out on culture points and being the first to benefit from Age A events.

The culture points you miss out on are not going to be nearly as significant as the advantage you're giving to whoever ends up with the colony most of the time. At least not when we're talking about the good colonies. You can seed historic all day, that's fine, but I would never seed Fertile or Inhabited unless I felt I had a very good shot at winning it. And someone else having +3 colonize means I don't think I have a good shot.

Forefather Czech complements a Territory Strategy nicely as it is more likely you seed the good ones yourself.

Other leaders to consider are Moses and Barbarossa who are better at replenishing your colonists.

Colonies, like Military, don't eat your wonder civil actions or building limit. So they are an attractive way to expand.

Certainly colonies are overall attractive. That's why you shouldn't seed the good ones unless you expect to win them, or have a good shot at doing so.

As for military: Being second and not trailing more than a Defense card worth is comfortable, but sometimes you have to settle for less. Not being last at the end of your turn should be a high priority, as event attrition can be hard. A solid military lead which allows you to dash out attacks which hand you resources may let you stay at Bronze until the end of the game.

Certainly, being second and close is a goal, not the absolute you must do this point. That's what I aim for. Sometimes you end up with less military, and sometimes more. If you have the most, you get to be the bully, and if you have less, at least you're not in last. Don't be in last.  :(

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2013, 09:23:48 am »

The culture points you miss out on are not going to be nearly as significant as the advantage you're giving to whoever ends up with the colony most of the time. At least not when we're talking about the good colonies. You can seed historic all day, that's fine, but I would never seed Fertile or Inhabited unless I felt I had a very good shot at winning it. And someone else having +3 colonize means I don't think I have a good shot.
The strength sacrificed for colonising deducts from the advantage the colony provides, so the net gain may amount to not (much) more than the seeding bonus. If I can predict there will be plenty competition for the territory so it will drain a fair share of ⚔⚔⚔, I may seed the territory even if I don't see it will be me competing. In a 2p game it would be a giveaway to my opponent, in a 3p game it would be iffy, but in a 4p game I'd consider it viable.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 05, 2013, 05:07:40 pm »

80 up, 4 player global
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:40 pm »

Mmm... we're slowly edging our way towards game 100. I have some ideas for what we could do for that (but no, saying what they are would be telling at this point!)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34  All

Page created in 2.066 seconds with 22 queries.