Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I got parried all over the place.  (Read 963 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
I got parried all over the place.
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:13:28 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-200459-45ff6912.html

The plan was to win Tournaments early, then grab green mindlessly, using Golem to avoid choking on those cards. And it worked, insofar as I was able to get Followers and Trusty Steed, and play Followers a few times. But I still couldn't keep pace, as my Tournaments were constantly blocked. He basically just gave up after one Tournament and played Vault-BM and had no problem keeping pace even with the Followers attack, and with Bank not really being able to do anything Gold couldn't (I mean, he didn't even try to take advantage of it with Nomad Camp's +Buy anyway...). What gives?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: I got parried all over the place.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:31 am »
+1

Why'd you open Workshop/Potion? Your chances of drawing $4P on turns 3/4 are incredibly small and the Golem wouldn't help you very much at that point in the game anyway.

The first thing that you should take from this game is that a Tournament stack is pretty weak in the endgame when they're liable to become useless. You certainly don't need 9 Tournaments, and though they're nice if they're not blocked, they effectively render your turn useless when they are. Another thing to consider is that all of the Tournaments get in the way of your Golems, which is a defect in your plan to begin with.

You should also recognize that Followers basically kills your economy. This doesn't mean that you should ignore it, but since you grabbed (or are likely to grab) the only handsize attack available, you should also consider investing in a Vault. Vault at least gives you $ in exchange for discarding a bunch of Estates. Yet another possible consideration is taking the 4 Silvers option with Trusty Steed to give your endgame economy a leg up.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: I got parried all over the place.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:00:46 am »
+1

I'd almost start from the other perspective here and ask how beat a tournament player. The simple answer is to buy provinces early and repeatedly so that your opponent's tournaments become worthless when played. That's pretty much what happened. Using a workshop to get lots of tournaments in the late game at the expense of early deck development, well that plays into your opponent's hands.

For the golem, if you want one, you need to pick up the potion on the second shuffle and you need to use a salvager and a cutpurse. +2 coin terminals are strong with golems for spending and the salvager is needed to convert some poor assets (estates mainly) into cojn. The cutpurse is also a good attack against banks and vaults.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.