Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nooooo, black market :(  (Read 896 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Nooooo, black market :(
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:36 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/24/game-20121224-204843-8372abfa.html

There's:
Apothecary
Herbalist (to put back Potions and pick up Copper)
Cartographer (to discard green)
Spy (to discard green)
Haven (just for cycling)
Vineyard (as an alternative to Duchy late-game)

It's a perfect Apothecary board, so I go for it. Opponent goes for Black Market-BM, roughly.
First time, gets Bishop, and I don't want to trash my Coppers so it's especially good.
Second time, gets Witch, which adds more junk to a deck that is very sensitive to greening.

Admittedly, I played the engine quite badly, and there were some other good cards in the Black Market deck too (Jack and King's Court are what I remember). I'm just so annoyed that the one time I think I can get Apothecary to actually work for me, it falls apart because of Black Market.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: Nooooo, black market :(
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 12:24:00 am »

Well, not to try and sound like a debbie downer.  But he only played his Bishop twice and one time you were able to trash an estate.  Honestly, I think the only Apo strategy here that could win would be one that only goes Vineyards... and that'd be tough.
A man on a mission.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »

There's nothing here to draw through crap left on your deck by Apothecary, and Cartographer is kind of a nombo because they do the same things except very slightly differently.

I think that depending on what's in the BM, going for Apothecary and throwing in a BM is probably your best option. Your earlygame cycling is much faster with the Apothecaries, BM is kind of like a +buy restricted to a random draw from the BM deck, and you can probably find something that works that'll also allow you to backdoor into Vineyards as an alt VP strategy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 04:41:31 am »
+1

I think Apothecary into something else is better than strictly Apothecary + Coppers.

Apo can let you ramp up to high value cards pretty fast so coupled with a BM of your own you could easily transition into a money engine with Vineyards as a backup VP card.

Heck, even lining up Coppers with Apo and trashing them with Mint can be pretty good.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.