Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing With Altar  (Read 2564 times)

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Playing With Altar
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:31:19 pm »
+1

Hi all,

There are 3 particular strategies that I wanted to share with you guys, when playing with Altar. First of all it is extremely important to have cards that give +2 actions, in your deck. When using Altar you might want to analyze the board to see whether or not you are playing with Bridge or Highway. If you are playing with those cards you should probably go for a pretty popular strategy, which is reducing the cost of Province/Colonies, by playing enough Highways or Bridges, and gaining them by trashing your Coppers and your Estates. If you are not playing with Highway or Bridge then you might want to try to build an engine, by buying an Altar and trashing your Coppers and Estates, to gain key $5 cards such as, Market, Hunting Party, Wharf, Festival, etc. When using an engine, Altar is ONLY useful when trying to build it. The last strategy I wanted to share with you guys is implementing Altar into a Duchy/Duke rush. I'm guessing people have figured these strategies out before me, but I just wanted to share them with you guys!

Please let me know your thoughts on this!

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
Re: Playing With Altar
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:51:33 pm »
+1

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:52:23 pm »

Nice first post, Tuyolqx! I agree with you. 100%.

warrior297

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:56:11 pm »
+1

You can actually buy Altar on boards without +2 Actions. In a cursing game, Altar will get rid of curses and get you something better. In some games, getting those Wharves is worth it. To be honest, I have never played Altar in a Highway or Brdige game, but it seems like it has the potential to be strong. Also, in an engine, opening with a Chapel is almost always going to be the correct play.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:02:34 pm »

It is more helpful to have +2 actions when using Altar so then you can use strong $5 terminals gained through Altar, but the extra actions is not necessary. Using altars to gain some strong non terminals is also useful.

Another possible strategy is to use Altars and a Highway to gain Grand Markets while still being able to use your coppers during your buy phase. Just a thought.

warrior297

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »
+2

... When using an engine, Altar is ONLY useful when trying to build it...
I wouldn't buy altar late or anything but I'm pretty sure it remains useful pretty long if you're going for an engine without other trashing (and obviously continues to be good if fortress is out). Namely, late game you can get a fairly cheap duchy and earlier, if you can draw more than your whole deck, you can gain a card and draw it all in the same turn allowing you to continue to build your engine while it is already running smoothly and allowing you to get more immediate gains from altar.
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:31:01 pm »

I haven't had many opportunities to play with Altar, but it seems to be a pretty powerful card.

warrior297

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:54:51 pm »
+1

I wouldn't buy altar late or anything but I'm pretty sure it remains useful pretty long if you're going for an engine without other trashing (and obviously continues to be good if fortress is out). Namely, late game you can get a fairly cheap duchy and earlier, if you can draw more than your whole deck, you can gain a card and draw it all in the same turn allowing you to continue to build your engine while it is already running smoothly and allowing you to get more immediate gains from altar.

I agree with you totally, I apologize for I used wrong wording, and should have said,"Altar should not be purchased after you have already built your engine, unless you want a Duchy like you had menchioned." Altar still has a use toward end game, but should not be a "must-have" card.

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:08:22 pm »

I agree with you totally, I apologize for I used wrong wording, and should have said,"Altar should not be purchased after you have already built your engine, unless you want a Duchy like you had menchioned." Altar still has a use toward end game, but should not be a "must-have" card.

Much more precise wording :)

Tuyolqx

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 12:09:36 pm »
+1

Thank you

Warrior

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.746 seconds with 21 queries.