Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help! Something seems hinky here...  (Read 1777 times)

tolenmar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Help! Something seems hinky here...
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:55 pm »

I've been playing for a few weeks, love the game.  All I have is the base set.  One of my friends was so impressed he went out and bought the game. 

He just texted me to tell me he just scored 191 victory points against his brother.  Now, he says they went until almost all of the cards were gone (most piles had one left), so gardens must have been worth a lot, but he says he got 9 of them.  There just aren't that many vp cards in a two player game.  Or am I missing something?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Something seems hinky here...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:12 pm »

Gooooons.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »
+1

I've been playing for a few weeks, love the game.  All I have is the base set.  One of my friends was so impressed he went out and bought the game. 

He just texted me to tell me he just scored 191 victory points against his brother.  Now, he says they went until almost all of the cards were gone (most piles had one left), so gardens must have been worth a lot, but he says he got 9 of them.  There just aren't that many vp cards in a two player game.  Or am I missing something?

He was probably playing incorrectly.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:20 pm »
+1

Oh right yeah, in a proper 2p game there are only 8 of each victory cards, including Gardens when it's there.

tolenmar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:24 pm »

Well, I got off the phone with him.  He blamed his opponent fr not wanting to buy the last of any of the stacks (which of course means he didn't want to buy any of them), and for ending the game with more than 130 cards in his deck.  9 13 point gardens will make up about half of that score, but it still depends on his opponent not buying very many of the other vp cards for the other half.

Knowing these two players, one was taking advantage of the other, and his opponent was trying to drag things out.  It's the only way it could have happened, and I'm still skeptical of that score.  He was finally willing to admit maybe he mis-added.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:01 pm »
+1

They probably mistakenly put out 12 Gardens instead of 8.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

tolenmar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »
+1

Okay, that I don't get.  Where do the rules say you only put 8 gardens out for a 2p game?
Never mind, found it...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:16:01 pm by tolenmar »

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »

Okay, that I don't get.  Where do the rules say you only put 8 gardens out for a 2p game?

In the section on setup.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »
+4

Being a beginner, it's always easy to make small mistakes like that with a rules.

A good strategy with, well, most games actually, is to reread the rules after playing once or twice, as at that point you know what's going on and can pick up on the things you missed the first time around.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 21 queries.