Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A few card ideas  (Read 7743 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: A few card ideas
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

The problem isn't that the card is only useful sometimes.  There are plenty of cards like that, and that's fine.  The concern and the thing that needs testing is how much it varies and under what circumstances.  Giving +P is probably way too strong with other potion cards (Possession especially) while giving +P is kind of useless if there are no potion cards you want.  A Worker's Village is a card you would usually be OK with stacking, so there's less fear of it being too weak, though it's actually quite expensive.  But really, it is the Possession case that is most worrying.  This card would make it simple to get lots of Possessions AND gives you the +actions to play multiples at once.  At least normally it's harder to get Possession.  With this card, it is much, much easier.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »

I thought of a couple more, I'll just put them here too.

[some name]
Action
$3
+2 Cards
You may choose an action card in your hand.  Play it and discard it.

I, um, Throne Room this and play an Ironworks, gaining a Throne Room with an empty deck.  Then the second time I draw Throne Room/Ironworks.  I gain a this and then an Estate or something.  Play another one of these... this isn't exactly right but it seems like you could mega-pileout pretty easily.

I forgot about Throne Room when thinking of the card, I already got rid of it.

The problem isn't that the card is only useful sometimes.  There are plenty of cards like that, and that's fine.  The concern and the thing that needs testing is how much it varies and under what circumstances.  Giving +P is probably way too strong with other potion cards (Possession especially) while giving +P is kind of useless if there are no potion cards you want.  A Worker's Village is a card you would usually be OK with stacking, so there's less fear of it being too weak, though it's actually quite expensive.  But really, it is the Possession case that is most worrying.  This card would make it simple to get lots of Possessions AND gives you the +actions to play multiples at once.  At least normally it's harder to get Possession.  With this card, it is much, much easier.

Yeah, I see what you are saying.  I guess I'll have to wait until I can test it to see how good it works.  I could change the +2 Actions to something else though to make it harder to play multiple Possessions, but I know that wouldn't do much.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »

I thought of a way to fix it!

[some card]
Action
$2P
+2 Cards
Choose one: +$2; or, +P

Of course, the other things could get changed, but I decided to get rid of the +action because you could easily stack these and get the $6P necessary for the possession pretty easily.

Also, I randomly thought of another version of the traveling merchant that might be better:

Traveling Merchant
Action
Cost: $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, return it to the supply.
--------
When you buy this, if you have not bought a Traveling Merchant this turn, choose one: +$3; or, +2 Buys, +$1

I was wondering which one I should have it be, give you an extra buy or more coins, but I thought, why not do both?  The "if you have not bought a Traveling Merchant this turn" is to keep you from piledriving them all by repeatedly buying them and getting the extra buy, then the extra coin, etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:29:00 pm by sudgy »
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.