Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fortune Teller/Jester  (Read 5336 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Fortune Teller/Jester
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:33:01 pm »
+1

This is a cute combo.  Use Fortune Teller to put a Victory card on top of your opponent's deck so that Jester gives them a Curse.

I was only able to do it once here, but it was awesome:

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20121215/log.505c6195a2e6c78ad2ed5a99.1355617838745.txt
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:46:55 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Fortune Teller/Jester
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:43:21 pm »
+6

You don't have the right game log.

I used this combo once and my opponent complained about my incredible Jester luck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:47:16 pm »
+1

Fixed the link.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »

On an unrelated note, I just played a game with Rogue and Feast and kept getting back Feast to gain Wharves and Cities. It was pretty epic, but my opponent resigned just as my engine was going.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:22:50 am »

yeah, I got Bureaucrat-Jester combo'ed tonight. One of those things where you're not even mad, you're just impressed.

Of course, the same guy opened Loan-Bureaucrat, which is a bit of a nombo, so it's questionable whether Jester-B-crat was planned or whether he just lucked into it.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:06:27 am »
+2

Isn't Jester with a Victory card guaranteed to be on top still worse than Mountebank? Yeah, the opponent can't block, but you clean the top of his deck and don't give a Copper.

I realize "worse than Mountebank" isn't exactly damning, but you kind of expect more out of your two-card combos that need a village.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:34:20 am »
+6

So?  Scout/Wishing Well is worse than Laboratory, but you work with what you have in the kingdom.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:44:25 am »

So?  Scout/Wishing Well is worse than Laboratory, but you work with what you have in the kingdom.

I think under those circumstances I would rather play two Jesters than a Fortune Teller and a Jester. There's a chance I'll hit a Victory or Curse anyway and I get to do twice as much junking/gaining. ycz6 is right that Jester basically undoes Fortune Teller's attack.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 02:49:29 am »
+3

I think under those circumstances I would rather play two Jesters than a Fortune Teller and a Jester. There's a chance I'll hit a Victory or Curse anyway and I get to do twice as much junking/gaining. ycz6 is right that Jester basically undoes Fortune Teller's attack.

Obviously, you play FT - Jester - FT!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:47:28 am »

In practice though, you basically just put both attacks in your deck. If either one hits on its own, great. If they both hit, congrats, you just played a witch and witch isn't even on the board. In the game I played there was also saboteur so there were several ways to get extra mileage from topdecking VPs.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 01:50:51 pm »

A far more insidious combo is Fortune Teller/Rogue if you have alt-VP (excluding vineyards) or cost reducers in play. I've come back from a 6 province/multiple duchy deficit with the latter (granted it was a Kc board and they didn't see that I could hose them with Princess more than they could hose me with Followers). I haven't done it, but I think Fortune Teller/Knights might work out pretty well against Alt-VP.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=128.msg1251  :P

It's not a world-beater, but it is pretty cute.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 02:17:32 pm »

It's also not strong, but if the two cards are in the kingdom and you can play both of them, then it's definitely better than something that sounds comparable like Scout-WW.

The finals match in the US Nationals qualifier that I played had this combo. I think I ignored it, though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »
+1

Somewhat a propos: is there ever a case where Jester reveals a Curse, and you'd want to take the Curse yourself?  Maybe Fairgrounds?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »

Somewhat a propos: is there ever a case where Jester reveals a Curse, and you'd want to take the Curse yourself?  Maybe Fairgrounds?

Fairgrounds, Gardens.

Your hand is Laboratory, King's Court, Ambassador, Watchtower, and you played a village before the Jester. You topdeck the curse with Watchtower, draw it with Laboratory, then King's Court Ambassador to give them three Curses instead of one.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 04:51:08 pm »
+2

Fairgrounds, Gardens.

Your hand is Laboratory, King's Court, Ambassador, Watchtower, and you played a village before the Jester. You topdeck the curse with Watchtower, draw it with Laboratory, then King's Court Ambassador to give them three Curses instead of one.

There is always an edge case. Always.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 05:41:30 pm »

Isn't it better to play a jester, give your opponent a curse, then play the fortune teller to put that same curse on top of the deck?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 08:49:02 pm »

Isn't it better to play a jester, give your opponent a curse, then play the fortune teller to put that same curse on top of the deck?

Assuming you know the top card is a Curse, yes.
My instinct is that if you don't know, you want to do Fortune Teller -> Jester instead of the other way around. Giving Curse seems better than giving Copper and making the top card dead.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »
+1

Laboratory costs more than Scout or Wishing well.  Fortune Teller / Jester involves a 5$ card.

The combo is bad.  It's an incremental improvement over a blind Jester, which can curse without help or get you good cards.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:55:29 pm »
+2

the worst cse scenario when you play a Jester is that it hits a card your opponent wants but you don't want. - games where yours and your opponents' strategies are pretty divergent. So a relevant question is "how big is that chance?" Of course, that was a relevant question when you bought the Jester in the first place.

He/him

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 06:03:42 pm »

This may not be soooooo hot, but the version with Rabble rather than Fortune Teller can be very very potent: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/16/game-20121216-173438-32fd9f0e.html

Yeah yeah, it's situational. So is *everything* in the game.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

The rabble version is a lot better because Rabble is an engine component itself, you can build a Village/Rabble engine and just thrown in a jester. Whereas fortune teller is a nondrawing terminal, so you have to get a FT AND a Jester in addition to the engine you'll use to draw them.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.108 seconds with 21 queries.