Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mega Pack on Goko  (Read 5232 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Mega Pack on Goko
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:02:41 am »

Okay, I know a lot of you have mixed feelings about Goko, but I know some of you were holding off until all expansions were available. They are almost there. They only need half of Hinterlands and Alchemy and then they are set. However, for the time being, you can buy a Mega Pack which has all the expansions and some bonus coins and zaps... I believe the total cost is 450 Gokoins, so for $40, you should be able to get everything. It should be noted this offer does not include Guilds.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Pack on Goko
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:27 am »
+1

Looks pretty good indeed! Sadly at the time I decided to try to quit dominion...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:15:42 am »

For easy reference (prices given without multibuy discount, you can probably knock about 12% off):

Super Pack - 200 Gokoins ($20):
Intrigue
Seaside
Prosperity

Super Pack 2 - 140 Gokoins ($14)
Cornucopia
Hinterlands (Part 2 to be released this month apparently))
Alchemy (Released Jan 2013 apparently)

Dark Ages - 110 Gokoins ($11)

Total for that is 450 Gokoins, as stated. Cheapest way, I believe, to get that is two bundles of 230 coins, for $40 total, and have 10 Gokoins left over.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:12:42 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:04:13 am »
+1

So, is this whole Gokoins thing supposed to make things easier (lol) or is it just a way to make people pay more than they need (and thus diminish the discount they got for purchasing packages)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 04:14:26 am »

So, is this whole Gokoins thing supposed to make things easier (lol) or is it just a way to make people pay more than they need (and thus diminish the discount they got for purchasing packages)?
I am guessing it's because they have products other than Dominion, and would like you to have a little left over and consider buying one of them.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:33:33 am »

I am guessing it's because they have products other than Dominion, and would like you to have a little left over and consider buying one of them.

Well, it's a clever move in any case.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:57:06 am »

Well, it's a clever move in any case.

It may be "clever" but to be honest, that's one of the few remaining things that's stopping me from giving Goko my money. I think it's extremely dishonest that they can say all Dominion expansions cost $X but you can't actually give them $X and get all the Dominion expansions. I would have to give them more and get some other stuff that I do not want.

Now if I get to do that, and they decide to throw in some bonus funny-money at no extra cost, that's fine. But I sit in front of a computer all day at work and my idea of fun isn't playing computer games. Dominion is just an exception to that rule because it's SO awesome (and I can also play it IRL).

I did get to play with the private Beta this week and I was actually pretty pleased with it...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:04 am »

For easy reference (prices given without multibuy discount, you can probably knock about 12% off):

Super Pack - 200 Gokoins ($20):
Intrigue
Seaside
Prosperity

Super Pack 2 - 140 Gokoins ($14)
Alchemy
Hinterlands (Part 2 to be released this month apparently))
Alchemy (Released Jan 2013 apparently)

Dark Ages - 110 Gokoins ($11)

Total for that is 450 Gokoins, as stated. Cheapest way, I believe, to get that is two bundles of 230 coins, for $40 total, and have 10 Gokoins left over.

Where is Cornucopia?

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:19 am »

I think it's extremely dishonest that they can say all Dominion expansions cost $X but you can't actually give them $X and get all the Dominion expansions.
You can. All expansions up to Dark Ages cost $40. If you really don't want extra 10 Gokoins on your account, just buy each part of Dark Ages separately. When Guilds come out, this will remain true, but the cost of all cards will go up to $44.

But I sit in front of a computer all day at work and my idea of fun isn't playing computer games. Dominion is just an exception to that rule because it's SO awesome (and I can also play it IRL).
I think you can play all of Goko's games RL, they don't design games, they make computer versions of various boardgames. The question is what other games are awesome for you. I don't know if I ever buy any other of their products because I haven't checked what games do they have rights for. If they do Carcassonne, 7 Wonders or Power Grid, I'd probably buy straight away.

Where is Cornucopia?
First Alchemy should be Cornucopia.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:24 am »

You can. All expansions up to Dark Ages cost $40. If you really don't want extra 10 Gokoins on your account, just buy each part of Dark Ages separately. When Guilds come out, this will remain true, but the cost of all cards will go up to $44.

But that's still paying more real money, isn't it? If this thing works out with Bonus funny-money when all the expansions are released, fine, but I don't particularly enjoy the use of said funny-money in the first place...

I think you can play all of Goko's games RL, they don't design games, they make computer versions of various boardgames. The question is what other games are awesome for you. I don't know if I ever buy any other of their products because I haven't checked what games do they have rights for. If they do Carcassonne, 7 Wonders or Power Grid, I'd probably buy straight away.

Man, I love me some Power Grid, but the thought of playing it on the computer just isn't attractive to me. Oh well :-\

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:34:49 am »
+1

I know they have Empire Builder, and I'm super excited for that.  An awesome game, but it's just a tad tedious to play on the physical board.  I think it's actually nicer as a game on the computer.  sooooo, imma do that when it comes out.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:17 am »
+1

I know they have Empire Builder, and I'm super excited for that.  An awesome game, but it's just a tad tedious to play on the physical board.  I think it's actually nicer as a game on the computer.  sooooo, imma do that when it comes out.

I am also super-pumped about Empire Builder. I hope it works out because that is an awesome game that I think more people would play if they knew about it.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:52:09 am »

I am also super-pumped about Empire Builder. I hope it works out because that is an awesome game that I think more people would play if they knew about it.

If anyone wants to know how awesome Empire Builder on computers can be, they can check out this little program (it's got a free trial, yay!) http://www.railgamefans.com/ebp/ebp.htm

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

But that's still paying more real money, isn't it? If this thing works out with Bonus funny-money when all the expansions are released, fine, but I don't particularly enjoy the use of said funny-money in the first place...
I don't think I get your point.

I think they use Gokoins so that it's easier for both them and users when they have multiple games running with a decent part of player base playing more than one of them. And, while a bit strange for people using just one game, this isn't so hard to work out. To buy all the existing expansions you need 450 Gokoins. 230 Gokoins cost $20, so it's easy to see that you need to pay those $20 twice and you are set, not wasting any substantial amount of money. The fact that you have to make two separate payments can be a bit annoying, but with internet payment taking less than a minute I think I can live with it. I don't know how they will work out Guilds addition, but even if I have to make two micropayments of $2 to get 40 Gokoins I need, that's something like 2-3 minutes for the whole process including actually purchasing the set once I have Gokoins, not a huge problem for me.

Man, I love me some Power Grid, but the thought of playing it on the computer just isn't attractive to me. Oh well :-\
I think playing Power Grid agains 3-4 decent bot opponents would be a great opportunity to learn, as games would speed up a lot allowing more plays. Currently a game of Power Grid requires multiple people to find 2 hours time window to meet, which, at least in my case, rarely happens. If additionally each of those people can play a game whenever he has 30 minutes to spare, they will understand the game much better and when they can meet for a RL game the experience will be much more interesting.

This holds for any longer game - it's hard to be good at it because it's hard to play it multiple times. Playing online solves a big part of this problem.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:10:26 am by hsiale »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:16 am »

I think they use Gokoins so that it's easier for both them and users when they have multiple games running with a decent part of player base playing more than one of them. And, while a bit strange for people using just one game, this isn't so hard to work out. To buy all the existing expansions you need 450 Gokoins. 230 Gokoins cost $20, so it's easy to see that you need to pay those $20 twice and you are set, not wasting any substantial amount of money. The fact that you have to make two separate payments can be a bit annoying, but with internet payment taking less than a minute I think I can live with it. I don't know how they will work out Guilds addition, but even if I have to make two micropayments of $2 to get 40 Gokoins I need, that's something like 2-3 minutes for the whole process including actually purchasing the set once I have Gokoins, not a huge problem for me.

My point is this: You need 450 Gokoins to buy the stuff. So they can advertise that it costs $45. As long as I can pay $45 or less and get that thing, I'm happy. But, if you could only buy 200 Gokoins for $20 and I need to pay $60 in real money to get the thing I want, that's not cool.

As of now, that doesn't appear to be the case. It looks like I can pay $40 in real money to get what I want, which is great! I LOVE money! I guess my apprehension is that if I do that now, and Guilds comes out and I'm forced to get another chunk of 100 Gokoins for $10 for a $4 expansion, now I've paid more money than I should and I have these Gokoins that I don't care about. It makes me not want to buy their thing until Guilds comes out, and then only if I can get it all with some fancy method that doesn't leave me spending more money than I want to.

It seems this could be solved by just using dollars to pay for stuff. I don't mind clicking my mouse a few extra times, but I don't see any benefit in Gokoins whatsoever to anyone except Goko, and I have problems supporting someone who uses that business model.

Currently a game of Power Grid requires multiple people to find 2 hours time window to meet...

Everybody says Power Grid takes at least 2 hours to play IRL. My group can get through a 4P game in an hour pretty easily, and 5P in 1:15 or 1:30 tops. Of course, they credit me with that fact since I'm always banker, and there is TONS of room to expedite the game IRL (Bureaucracy phase can take zero time if you plan correctly). Yeah, I know a computer can do it better, but I'm just trying to take some credit here for being awesome.

hsiale

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »
+1

My point is this: You need 450 Gokoins to buy the stuff. So they can advertise that it costs $45. As long as I can pay $45 or less and get that thing, I'm happy. But, if you could only buy 200 Gokoins for $20 and I need to pay $60 in real money to get the thing I want, that's not cool.

As of now, that doesn't appear to be the case. It looks like I can pay $40 in real money to get what I want, which is great! I LOVE money! I guess my apprehension is that if I do that now, and Guilds comes out and I'm forced to get another chunk of 100 Gokoins for $10 for a $4 expansion, now I've paid more money than I should and I have these Gokoins that I don't care about. It makes me not want to buy their thing until Guilds comes out
There are multiple ways to buy Gokoins and you can buy even small amount if you want. 20 for $2 is the smallest available. So, if Guilds costs 40 Gokoins as expected, to get full Dominion you need to pay $44 (20+20+2+2).

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 12:10:57 pm »

Well then. My only objection is in principle now, not in practice. Well done, sir.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.022 seconds with 21 queries.