Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A couple of cards...  (Read 2153 times)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
A couple of cards...
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:18:18 am »

Some random cards I thought up while procrastinating...

Innkeeper
[Action]
Cost: $5
+1 Action
You may discard an action card from your hand. If you do, +2 cards and gain a silver into your hand. Otherwise, trash a card from you hand.

Lucky Coin
[Treasure]
Cost: $2
Worth $1

When you gain this, choose a card you have in play. Either trash it or put it on top of your deck.

When you trash this, gain a silver into your hand.

Artist
[Action]
Cost:$6*
+3 Cards
+$2
Trash a card from your hand. Discard a card. Put a card from your hand back on top of your deck. Put an art token on your artist mat.

This card costs one less for each art token on your artist mat. When you gain this, remove 6 art tokens from your artist mat.

Let me know what you think!  :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:39:54 am by jamespotter »

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of cards...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:34:29 am »

Nice cards and mechanics, which are quite balanced Imo
One little note in reference of Lucky Coin: A when-trashed effect should never be $, it should always be a benefit like gain a card, card-draw and other thing that works also when the card is trashed in an opponents turn (I think attack would also be possible...)

My suggestion for Lucky Coin: When you trash this, each opponent discards a (or even 2) treasure card(s).

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:12:30 am »
+1

Innkeeper
[Action]
+1 Action
You may reveal and discard an action card from your hand. If you do, +2 cards and gain a silver into your hand. Otherwise, trash a card from you hand.
This doesn't need the "reveal and". The trash clause seems unrelated to the rest.
Lucky Coin
[Treasure]
Worth $1

When you gain this, choose a card you have in play. Either trash it or put it on top of your deck.

When you trash this, +$3.
The problem with "when you trash" +$ is that it doesn't trigger (or at least triggers as a detriment) when trashed with Rogue, Knights, Sabotuer, or Swindler. This is also much better than Loan.
Artist
[Action]
+3 Cards
+$2
Trash a card from your hand. Discard a card. Put a card from your hand back on top of your deck. Put an art token on your artist mat.

This card costs one less for each art token on your artist mat. When you gain this, remove 6 art tokens from your artist mat.

Let me know what you think!  :D
I would need to see artist at work. In a hand with 7 cards in it, there is nearly always one card you can't play (especially with no remaining actions), one thing to trash, and one victory/curse to discard without problem. Compare to Courtyard +$2. This card is likely worth $6 at all points, so not worth its gimmick. The gimmick might work elsewhere, though.

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:39:10 am »

Innkeeper
[Action]
+1 Action
You may reveal and discard an action card from your hand. If you do, +2 cards and gain a silver into your hand. Otherwise, trash a card from you hand.
This doesn't need the "reveal and". The trash clause seems unrelated to the rest.
"Reveal and..." is fixed, I have the trash clause so this isn't completely useless when you only have it in your hand, but I would take other suggestions as to what that effect should be.
Lucky Coin
[Treasure]
Worth $1

When you trash this, +$3.
The problem with "when you trash" +$ is that it doesn't trigger (or at least triggers as a detriment) when trashed with Rogue, Knights, Sabotuer, or Swindler. This is also much better than Loan.
Okay, I got rid of the "+$3" in favor of "gain a silver into your hand". Why do you think it is better than Loan? The effect only triggers once, when you buy it, and it won't even search your deck for a treasure to trash.
Artist
[Action]
+3 Cards
+$2

I would need to see artist at work. In a hand with 7 cards in it, there is nearly always one card you can't play (especially with no remaining actions), one thing to trash, and one victory/curse to discard without problem. Compare to Courtyard +$2. This card is likely worth $6 at all points, so not worth its gimmick. The gimmick might work elsewhere, though.
The problem with the gimmick is that it cannot be on a card that you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to have extra copies of, otherwise it makes buying that card into an easy decision. The card also cannot have self-synergy, because having a copy of it already makes it easier to buy more.
Artist is a card that you probably don't want a ton of copies of, unless you've carefully built your engine around it. It is very powerful early game, but as you start to green it becomes very weak...forcing you to trash a card, not increasing your hand size, and not really giving you a lot of money or +buys. With that said, I could see moving the amount of cards drawn down to +2 cards. Do you think that's more balanced?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 11:45:46 am »

I think all those changes are for the better. I like the 'gain a Silver into your hand' on-trash effect.

I agree with One Armed Man 100%. The gimmick on Artist's cost is unnecessary. Honestly, it's a gimmick that might be too wordy to be worth it in general, but that's just my opinion. I think Artist is probably strong as a $6 without the cost variance. If you lower it to +2 Cards, as you suggest, I'd try testing that at both $5 and $6.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »

Lucky Coin
[Treasure]
Worth $1

When you trash this, gain a silver into your hand.

I've always wanted a card that trashes a card in play.  I remember someone swindled a card into an ironworks, and when I drew it I wanted to play it instead of my chapel I had in my hand for that card...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »

I didn't notice that the lucky coin was on-gain. That is a little different, but I still like the silver-gain-to-hand part.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »

Innkeeper
[Action]
+1 Action
You may discard an action card from your hand. If you do, +2 cards and gain a silver into your hand. Otherwise, trash a card from you hand.

Is it just me, or does this look really, really strong compared to Explorer?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.