Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Workshop+Vineyards a "Thing"  (Read 2000 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Is Workshop+Vineyards a "Thing"
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »

8:56 King's Skort: is ws/vineyard really a thing? seems like it shouldn't be a thing

Good question. I didn't see anything else on this board and thought it would be a fun thing to try, but is it dominant? Maybe on a weak board?

The Spice Merchant helps my cycling - but I kept buying copper to recharge him, so not a ton. And cantrip would have been about the same.
Ended up picking up 4 potions (the most I've ever had I think) to drive down the Vineyards pile.
And a $2 card was handy on some Spice Merchant, Potion, Copper, VP hands.

But could this work in a more general sense?

The game:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/14/game-20121214-090019-3544844b.html

Ed

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
Re: Is Workshop+Vineyards a "Thing"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »

I would think it would need to be a REALLY dry board, maybe one with some cursing/mucking up and no trashing, for it to be remotely successful.  It seems like it should lose to big money, like, a lot.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:11:41 pm »

WS+Vineyards is a thing, though you don't have the best support for it. Cheap cantrips are what you want.

However, if you're going to do a province strategy here, ambassador/spice merchant into a minion deck is about a billion times better than what he did.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 12:14:13 pm »

WS+Vineyards is a thing, though you don't have the best support for it. Cheap cantrips are what you want.

However, if you're going to do a province strategy here, ambassador/spice merchant into a minion deck is about a billion times better than what he did.

There was no Minions on the board - just in the Black Market - so just a single one (Ambassador too)

Pretty sure I would not have gone Workshop/Vineyards with Minion in the kingdom. Letting someone get 7 minions is just asking for trouble.

Ed

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »
+1

i actually just (mis)played a workshop/vineyards game in the tournament. link here. peebles got 7 point vineyards in 15 turns.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:45:43 pm »

I was very confused and I'm glad this game got posted. After deciding that WS/vineyards was not a thing, I decided that BM-BM is the only real possibility on this board. My buys from the BM were ambassador, minion, and sea hag. Of those three, minion is pretty clearly a good idea. I think ambassador and the hag are both questionable though (at least, given when I was able to buy the hag). Ambassador is no good because I have no engine and nothing I can send ed really hurts him that much. Even the curses aren't really that bad for him.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:23:55 pm »

There was no Minions on the board - just in the Black Market - so just a single one (Ambassador too)

Pretty sure I would not have gone Workshop/Vineyards with Minion in the kingdom. Letting someone get 7 minions is just asking for trouble.

Ed

I should probably pay more attention. OK, this board is super weak then. WS/Vineyard is probably the right call. You might be able to throw in a p.stone in a mirror to try to scoop a province or two as well.

As far as taking amb from the BM, yeah at that point it's basically doing nothing for you. The sea hag is still a reasonable mid game pick up.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »

i actually just (mis)played a workshop/vineyards game in the tournament. link here. peebles got 7 point vineyards in 15 turns.
But here is actually a lot of support for ws/vy:
1. chapel as the fastest trasher
2. villages for multiple ws plays a turn
3. a cheap cantrip.
Only thing lacking is +buy.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 02:45:52 pm »

minion is pretty clearly a good idea

I don't think that's so obvious.  Single Minions are only slightly more interesting than Silver (when you don't have many Actions in your deck the other option essentially reads "attack both players").  Of the three from the Black Market I might have preferred Tactician, which will help you get the big Province turns since you're going that way.  But you actually had $6: you probably wanted Gold.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

Workshop + vineyard is definitely thing, in the same way workshop + gardens is a thing.

In both cases you'd much rather have ironworks, but sometimes you get what you get. The difference is that vineyards tends to favor the long game much more than gardens. (its nearly impossible to get your deck up to 70 cards, for example). So yes, on a slow board like the one in question, vineyard is quite good.

I've seen much better boards for it (say with caravan), but good actions are less important than the speed of the game. If you get most of the vineyards and the game is slow, you win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.