Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Merchant's Wagon  (Read 2869 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Merchant's Wagon
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:25:45 pm »
+1

$2/$3 - Merchant's Wagon
Action-Reaction

You may gain a card costing up to $3, putting it on top of your deck.
(*Alternatively: Gain a Silver or an Estate, putting it on top of your deck.*)

--------

When you put a card on top of your deck, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, either discard that card, or put it into your hand.

There won't always be top-deckers in a kingdom, so it self-synergizes (sort of).  It would combo with Watchtower and Bureaucrat, and keep the Duchy off of your deck or put that Prize in your hand with Tournament if someone else reveals a Province, and it would sort of defend against Sea Hag.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant's Wagon
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
+2

Hmm, seems like an interesting idea. I'd have to think carefully about whether it creates any game-breaking shenanigans.

EDIT: Well, it makes Scout into +4 Cards/+1 Action, so there's that. Similarly, Cartographer and Apothecary both become +5 Cards/+1 Action and Navigator becomes +5 Cards/+$2.

EDIT: Also, if you have a Merchant's Wagon and a Secret Chamber in hand and are hit by an attack, you can draw your whole deck.

EDIT: In addition, you could reveal it during your Clean-up phase if you're putting cards back on your deck (Walled Village, Scheme, Alchemist, Treasury, etc.). That would result in some rules weirdness.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:04:31 pm by LastFootnote »

jupiter

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »
+1

EDIT: Also, if you have a Merchant's Wagon and a Secret Chamber in hand and are hit by an attack, you can draw your whole deck.

And then using the Secret Chamber you can put both on top for next turn. Just hope the attack isn't a Militia (or Goons ect.).

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »

As written, it reacts to itself, allowing you to gain the Silver in hand and making it like an Explorer without the Gold option.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:13:03 pm »
+1

As written, it reacts to itself, allowing you to gain the Silver in hand and making it like an Explorer without the Gold option.

Only if you have two of them. When you pay it, it's no longer in your hand. Unless there's something wording wise I'm missing.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »
+1

Upon thinking about it, I did realize it turned Navigator into +5 Cards.

I have no idea how you'd fix the Secret Chamber interaction without making the card totally useless.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:07:43 pm »
+1

Instead of just evealing the card to use the reaction, discard it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »
+1

Or maybe just have "When you topdeck a card other than by a Reaction"

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »

Or maybe just have "When you topdeck a card other than by a Reaction"

I've generally found that when you need to fix a potentially complex card, the answer is not to make it more complex. Besides, this doesn't make the situation where you're top-decking during your Clean-up phase any clearer.

EDIT: Mainly my issue is that the wording 'topdecking by a Reaction' is not well-defined and seems really inelegant.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:32:00 pm by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »
+1

I think I've got it:

When any number of cards are simultaneously put on top of your deck, you may reveal and discard this card.  If you do, for each card put on your deck, either discard it, or put it into your hand.

-Is the "simultaneously" required?
-Should it be all discard or all put in, or is it fine like this?

EDIT: This would allow you to pull the Secret Chamber trick once per Merchant's Wagon.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:18 pm »
+1

I think I've got it:

When any number of cards are simultaneously put on top of your deck, you may reveal and discard this card.  If you do, for each card put on your deck, either discard it, or put it into your hand.

-Is the "simultaneously" required?
-Should it be all discard or all put in, or is it fine like this?

EDIT: This would allow you to pull the Secret Chamber trick once per Merchant's Wagon.

The basic question here is, when you put cards on top of your deck, do you put them on top of your deck one at a time, or do you put them back simultaneously? When you draw multiple cards, it's one at a time. When you discard or trash multiple cards, it's simultaneous. If I had to guess, I'd say that you put cards back on your deck one at a time. If that's the case, this wording doesn't work.

Other than that, you can change 'reveal and discard' to just 'discard'. When you discard a single card, it's assumed to be public knowledge. See Jester and Market Square. Also, I'd remove the ability to discard the topdecked cards and just have them all go to your hand. The edge cases where the discard is preferable are not worth the extra words and complexity, in my opinion.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »

Wouldn't this + watchtower let you deplete the Ironworks deck?

Probably needs to be discarded. Or maybe "When you place a card on top of your deck, you may swap it with this card"
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.