Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I finally won one of these blasted village-wharf games!  (Read 630 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
I finally won one of these blasted village-wharf games!
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:05:59 pm »

If you count Nobles as a village, anyway.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-155518-03395e8a.html

3 Nobles works out pretty well here; the idea is to play 2 of them for actions and one for cards each turn, along with 2 out of 4 Wharves. That won't hold together indefinitely, but it runs smoothly for a couple of double-Province turns in a row. Steward does trashing early (necessary to get real draw going because I don't have that much +Action access) and adds some flexibility later (as it can be played for coin instead if things don't line up). Holding myself to 2 Wharves each turn means the other two are available for the next turn; buying more would come at Gold opportunity cost and be counterproductive with only 3 Nobles for +Action.

Basically, this time I "budgeted" for the actions I was going to get (well, actually I resolved to get 2 Wharves quickly, see how many Nobles I could get after that, and plan accordingly) and made sure to pick up treasure as well in a good balance (apparently). Nobles aren't a great village in terms of raw card drawing power (3 Nobles can be net +1 Action while replacing themselves, or net +3 Action without; vanilla Village is net +3 Actions while replacing themselves), but they add valuable flexibility (and oh, yeah, are worth VP). Wharf engines tend to magnify their own luck, as I put it talking to dondon the other day, so it's nice to have a village that smooths out the bumps and gets the ball rolling.

And yeah, opponent is probably a noob, no need to point that out. I'm satisfied with the VP total and how the engine ran.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.661 seconds with 21 queries.