Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Gobblet  (Read 3715 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Gobblet
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:12 am »

I'm enjoying watching this game but I'm just wondering, is there any way to adapt the notation to make it easier to determine which pieces are under which other pieces? Or is it like this in the real game? Is there a rule that if you lift a piece and uncover something you didn't expect to, you cannot put it back and have to place that piece elsewhere for your move?

Edit: Read the description on BGG and it seems that is, in fact, a rule. This makes the RL version slightly harder than the PBF version, as with PBF you're always going to have to check whats underneath before making your move as you have to post up the full board, so you'll know in advance if it's a mistake.

I think the other rules for the full game (in contract to this "light" game) make this game a lot deeper. For example, you play 4x4 and have 3 sets of 4 different sized pieces each BUT, at the beginning of the game your pieces start stacked and you can only play an uncovered piece, so you have to play your biggest pieces first.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:54:47 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52:47 am »

Yeah, IRL as soon as you pick up a piece you have to put it down somewhere else, so you can't check what's underneath. Here you can (and have to) check back to see what's underneath. I don't think there's a better way of doing it, and I don't think it takes that much away from the game, just gives us both perfect memory.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:19 am »

2 -> C1

3    3    2
3    3    2
0    0    0
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 09:58:56 am »

I think the other rules for the full game (in contract to this "light" game) make this game a lot deeper. For example, you play 4x4 and have 3 sets of 4 different sized pieces each BUT, at the beginning of the game your pieces start stacked and you can only play an uncovered piece, so you have to play your biggest pieces first.

Oh really? Is that just for the full game? That would change it significantly I think. I generally find it's best to place your smaller pieces first, since otherwise they never make it onto the board because you're too busy blocking with your bigger pieces.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 10:03:58 am »

Well this is unfortunate.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 10:04:04 am »

Oh really? Is that just for the full game? That would change it significantly I think. I generally find it's best to place your smaller pieces first, since otherwise they never make it onto the board because you're too busy blocking with your bigger pieces.

That's what it says in the description for the full game on BGG. I have no idea what the official rules are for this "light" version (if indeed this is an official variant). The other "new" rule I discovered does seem to give a slight defense to your smaller pieces for when they do get on the board: You can only cover an opponent's piece if it is contribution to 3 in a row (where you need 4 to win).

Gobblet is an abstract game played on a 4 squares by 4 squares playing surface. Each player (2-player game) has 12 pieces (also wood). The pieces are 'nested' into 3 stacks of 4 pieces. Each group's 4 pieces are successively smaller wooden pieces (the 3 largest of each group are cups and the 4th is solid wood).

The object of the game is to get 4 of your color in a row (horizontal, vertical or diagonal). Your pieces start nested and you can only play exposed pieces on your turn, so 1 of your 3 largest pieces always is placed 1st. On your turn you may play 1 exposed piece from your 3 piles, or you may move 1 piece on the board to any other spot on the board where it will fit. Larger pieces may cover any smaller pieces (even your own). A piece being played from off the board may not cover an opponent's piece unless it is in a row where your opponent has three of his color.

Your memory is also tested as you try to remember what color your larger piece is covering, before you move it. One of the rules is that ANY time someone has 4 in a row they win, but if you lift your piece and reveal an opponent's piece which finishes a four in a row, you do not immediately lose. You cannot replace the piece where it came from, but if you can place it over one of the other three opponent's pieces in that four in a row the game continues.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:43 am »

A1 -> A3

2    3    2
3    3    2
3    0    0

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:57 am »

Well then.

B1 -> C3, and I have a line of 3.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 06:39:39 pm »

Yep, well done. You had me stuck.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:44 pm »

Wait, you mean A2 -> C3?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:41 pm »

I dunno, the one that wins the game :P.

I think forum isn't the best format for a game like this, to be honest.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 06:48:20 pm »

Yeah you're right. I wasn't really thinking of playing again.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.946 seconds with 19 queries.