Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 232  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2250121 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1680
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5700 on: August 03, 2024, 05:14:46 am »
+2

Most contemporary games with deckbuilding have as much to do with Dominion as a game with worker placement has to do with Caylus.

I still feel like there's something off with a game like Dune: Imperium that makes it so I can't get into it. I don't like the revolving market, it makes me feel like it's too luck-based what cards are available on each player's turn. Maybe that's partially just a feeling, because I know you can get good at the game; and there's certainly luck in Dominion too. But the beauty of the "kingdom" market mechanic in Dominion has kind of ruined me for deck-building games with a revolving market.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1595
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: August 03, 2024, 05:59:32 am »
+1

Dune is a very fine game and there is nothing "off". It can only work with a rotation market and it is nonethless a high-skill game because deck building is only a minor element in it.
Pure deckbuilders like Ascension or Star Realms with rotating markets are of course too luck dependent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12939
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5702 on: August 03, 2024, 06:27:30 am »

Most contemporary games with deckbuilding have as much to do with Dominion as a game with worker placement has to do with Caylus.

I still feel like there's something off with a game like Dune: Imperium that makes it so I can't get into it. I don't like the revolving market, it makes me feel like it's too luck-based what cards are available on each player's turn.

Does Black Market make you feel similarly about Dominion?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: August 03, 2024, 07:30:32 am »

I still feel like there's something off with a game like Dune: Imperium that makes it so I can't get into it. I don't like the revolving market, it makes me feel like it's too luck-based what cards are available on each player's turn.

Not when I don't play with it, which I dont.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1164
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #5704 on: August 04, 2024, 10:57:16 pm »

Not when I don't play with it, which I dont.
I'm the same way. I'm not even a big fan of the Auger piles. But the nice thing is I have 9 other piles to choose from.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Tid

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: August 05, 2024, 12:48:02 am »

Has there ever been an instance where you've thought of a card name/flavour entirely before the mechanic? Separate, but not unrelated, any Rising Sun guesses in the discord that have made you go, 'oh, that's a cool name for a card, what could that do'?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +26122
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: August 05, 2024, 01:00:10 am »
+4

Has there ever been an instance where you've thought of a card name/flavour entirely before the mechanic?
For a few sets it's intentionally happened; okay I need a Vampire, what can it do. For this set there were several of those, e.g. Ninja. It's mostly just a thing with the more flavorful later sets.

Separate, but not unrelated, any Rising Sun guesses in the discord that have made you go, 'oh, that's a cool name for a card, what could that do'?
People have guessed plenty of names that were either outtakes, or outtakes from earlier sets. I may still use those names and man I am not copying these people, I already had those names, and I guess can't do this kind of game again so I don't get accused of copying someone's card names? Even though it's not like you can copyright card names. This isn't what you meant but you know, that's where this leads. No I did not think "oh man here's a thing for me to copy," I am not having trouble naming cards.

That said some people did have good names.

Tid

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: August 05, 2024, 01:03:47 am »
+3

That's pretty cool, Vampire as an example definitely makes sense.

I would say that if a later set features a name someone guessed in a discord, and anyone finds that and the conclusion they draw is, oh my god donald x copied this name, that person is probably unhinged!

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1175
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: August 05, 2024, 04:49:20 pm »

I only just heard that Moon Colony Bloodbath is a thing.  Is there anything you can say about it, or already-public info that I might have missed?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: August 05, 2024, 05:19:16 pm »
+3

I only just heard that Moon Colony Bloodbath is a thing.  Is there anything you can say about it, or already-public info that I might have missed?
Well there's RGG page for it. https://www.riograndegames.com/games/moon-colony-bloodbath/

anordinaryman

• Tactician
  • Respect: +584
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: August 05, 2024, 11:07:57 pm »

Well there's RGG page for it. https://www.riograndegames.com/games/moon-colony-bloodbath/

The page is a little confusing. It says that it is a "cooperative," which to me means the players all win or all lose together. But then the description says "the player with the most survivors wins."

Can you help me understand this supposed contradiction? Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Or maybe you can't say anything beyond what is listed right now.

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +420
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: August 05, 2024, 11:32:35 pm »

For Cornucopia & Guilds 2E, was there ever any concern that either of the two halves would have more content than the other? Cornucopia having 5 removed cards to Guilds' 3, for example.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: August 06, 2024, 12:48:09 am »
+3

The page is a little confusing. It says that it is a "cooperative," which to me means the players all win or all lose together. But then the description says "the player with the most survivors wins."

Can you help me understand this supposed contradiction? Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Or maybe you can't say anything beyond what is listed right now.
"Type: Cooperative" is a mistake that will eventually be fixed. It is not a co-op. Barring rare ties, one player wins.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: August 06, 2024, 12:48:41 am »
+2

For Cornucopia & Guilds 2E, was there ever any concern that either of the two halves would have more content than the other? Cornucopia having 5 removed cards to Guilds' 3, for example.
No; the idea is to not ever split them back up. So e.g., one Reward uses Coffers, and that's fine.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: August 07, 2024, 11:16:23 am »

Is there any particular reason as to why Events always come back but other sideway cards do not? Are Events generally easier to make? Could Landmarks/Projects/Ways ever come back or is the thought here "Ways are for animals, that's for menagerie, it wouldnt fit in another expansion"

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: August 07, 2024, 12:27:42 pm »
+4

Is there any particular reason as to why Events always come back but other sideway cards do not? Are Events generally easier to make? Could Landmarks/Projects/Ways ever come back or is the thought here "Ways are for animals, that's for menagerie, it wouldnt fit in another expansion"
To bring back a mechanic, I have to include any components it needs, there has to be enough new stuff to do with it, I have to think people will like it. Events just easily manage these things. Debt for example is harder to bring back because you need the metal tokens, but here I am finally bringing it back.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1164
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #5716 on: August 07, 2024, 11:58:22 pm »

No; the idea is to not ever split them back up. So e.g., one Reward uses Coffers, and that's fine.
Hindsight being what it is, had they initially been big sets, what would you have wanted to do differently? And if you never had small sets, what would a larger Alchemy have looked like?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: August 08, 2024, 01:39:03 am »
+1

Hindsight being what it is, had they initially been big sets, what would you have wanted to do differently? And if you never had small sets, what would a larger Alchemy have looked like?
It's hard to say what they might have looked like; they'd need more stuff going on, and who knows what that is. Cornucopia's "variety" is invisible, so the other theme would want to be very visible; Guilds' coffers and overpay are both very visible, but a large set probably would still have had a little something more going on.

Alchemy was large back when. At the time that meant 20 cards; there were a couple versions at that size. A key thing is, it didn't actually have more potion-costing cards. It had a few potion-involving cards, and some other cards that kind of hung together, including Festival / Library. However, at the point where they wanted small expansions and Alchemy became one, the set had lost some cards to other sets, and so if it had stayed on schedule as the expansion after Dark Ages, well I don't know how it would have shaped up.

D782802859

• Explorer
  • Respect: +420
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: August 09, 2024, 05:04:56 pm »

Are the Secret Histories written in advance?

BRSunset

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: August 09, 2024, 06:38:18 pm »

Saw you had a new game coming out and had to ask - how much was inspired by the Mountain Goats x Vanderslice album of the same name? Have musical references made it into dominion ever?

Hockey Mask

• Golem
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: August 09, 2024, 06:50:49 pm »

Would you include debt tokens in the base game if you could do it over?
-The Compulsive Completist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: August 09, 2024, 07:03:20 pm »

Are the Secret Histories written in advance?
Yes, though then I mess with them once in a while before they finally get posted. I did a last sweep of this one today and changed just a few words.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: August 09, 2024, 07:08:09 pm »

Saw you had a new game coming out and had to ask - how much was inspired by the Mountain Goats x Vanderslice album of the same name? Have musical references made it into dominion ever?
It wasn't really inspired by the EP; I was making a game that was going to be building moon colonies and there was this great name. I abandoned that game and made a new one and kept the name, but the mechanics again have just nothing to do with either it being moon colonies or the songs themselves. Well one song says "let me die / surrounded by machines," and you certainly get to do that in Moon Colony Bloodbath.

Dominion has some random musical references, e.g. Watchtower is from All Along the Watchtower. I mean watchtowers are things, but they're not part of my life, except for being in that song. Taxman is the Beatles song; again it's also a word, but man, I've never met a "taxman."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: August 09, 2024, 07:09:05 pm »
+1

Would you include debt tokens in the base game if you could do it over?
No. If you could be assured that the main set would be a big hit and you'd be making lots of expansions, it would be great to have the coin tokens. And then playmats could let them do different things as with favors.

Nukatha

• Baron
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: August 10, 2024, 07:39:26 am »

Are Hero and Disciple valid choices for Riverboat?
Ditto for cards not initially on top in split piles like Sorcerer.
The Rulebook for Menagerie regarding Way of thr Mouse specifically excludes nom-Kingdom cards, (so, no Will-o-Wisps) but the only restrictions I see for Riverboat in the Rising Shn rulebook are $5 and non-Duration.
And I don't think Hero/Disciple would break anything, since they wouldn't be exchangeable, just nice delayed theone room/treasure gainer respectively, not hyper different from Mastermind and Pirate in actual gameplay.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 232  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.