Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2144606 times)

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5550 on: December 02, 2023, 12:10:31 am »

Any news on Rising Sun? Normally we get to see the box art and the small text introducing the mechanics some months before the release, will this change or is it still too early?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: December 02, 2023, 12:38:48 pm »

Any news on Rising Sun? Normally we get to see the box art and the small text introducing the mechanics some months before the release, will this change or is it still too early?
I know people helplessly ask, but no new news actually makes it out that way.

The cover isn't done; I guess that's new news. There is no set schedule for releasing that image and that text. When it happens it will get posted.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: December 02, 2023, 01:20:29 pm »
+2

Any news on the sun, that big ball of hydrogen and some other stuff that illuminates earth?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: December 02, 2023, 06:09:52 pm »
+1

Any news on the sun, that big ball of hydrogen and some other stuff that illuminates earth?

I’ve been informed that it’s rising in the morning.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: December 03, 2023, 11:26:10 am »
+1

Ah, and it's foreshadowing. Calling it now--next expansion is either "Setting Sun" or "Rising Moon." Twilight phase will be the new mechanic--after Buy phase and before Night phase.

Snorka

• Baron
  • he/him or they/them- no preference
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: December 03, 2023, 06:19:33 pm »
+2

Ah, and it's foreshadowing. Calling it now--next expansion is either "Setting Sun" or "Rising Moon." Twilight phase will be the new mechanic--after Buy phase and before Night phase.
Well, first comes Dominion: High Noon. With cowboys.

pacatak

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: December 05, 2023, 03:51:01 pm »

Thank you. This is good advice. 

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: December 16, 2023, 08:36:42 pm »

How have you managed to avoid jsh giving you the on notice role in discord? Last I checked...
* you created Chariot Race
* jsh hates Chariot Race

What's it like having playtesters that love to argue with you and each other? This could range from things like your commas, or card errata, or if a new card is unfun and/or too strong.

What kind of Dominion rules questions do you find fun to answer, and which ones are the least fun?

For Band of Misfits/Garrison, why did you decide that it's required that the Garrison be in play for it get any tokens?

Has creating new games gotten harder or easier over time?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 10:41:07 am by dz »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: December 17, 2023, 02:45:01 pm »
+5

How have you managed to avoid jsh giving you the on notice role in discord? Last I checked...
* you created Chariot Race
* jsh hates Chariot Race
Probably I made some points back in the music tournaments.

What's it like having playtesters that love to argue with you and each other? This could range from things like your commas, or card errata, or if a new card is unfun and/or too strong.
It's like a cool breeze on a summer day. It's like when you trip on a sidewalk crack, and can't believe you tripped on it, and go back, and try to purposefully trip on it, and you just can't.

All the games have to please me first; if I'm not having fun, they're not happening. Then they have to please my playtesters; that also can stop them from being. So the playtesters loom large.

A few of them go way back. I met Sir Martin in 1994, Sir Destry in 1997. Ingix was a fellow Magic rules guru arguing about what they should do in 6E, in the late 90s.

The commas, man, I am just in the right there. Card errata, well it's very helpful to have people weighing in. Unfun, too strong, man I like having as many opinions as I can get, as much evidence.

What kind of Dominion rules questions do you find fun to answer, and which ones are the least fun?
I guess I prefer the ones where I'm confident in the answer, less so the ones where it's a real question which way I should go.

For Band of Misfits/Garrison, why did you decide that it's required that the Garrison be in play for it get any tokens?
It's a physical game first and foremost. So I mean. The tokens have to go somewhere.

Has creating new games gotten harder or easier over time?
The initial step, of convincing myself to put in the work to get a prototype to find out if it's at all worth pursuing, has gotten harder. Probably everything else has gotten easier. I have plenty of ideas waiting for their day. There are lots of problems that I just know solutions to now. I know what I like in terms of phrasings and layout; years have gone into that and it's still never done, but you know.

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: December 23, 2023, 04:41:55 pm »

What is the process before you reveal the front-page information on new expansions? Like the Rio Grande Games page that says Loot and Traits are in Plunder with 500 cards total.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: December 24, 2023, 11:53:38 am »
+3

What is the process before you reveal the front-page information on new expansions? Like the Rio Grande Games page that says Loot and Traits are in Plunder with 500 cards total.
I write it. Then I don't think about it at all, and one day RGG posts the functionality blurb somewhere, or a distributor does. I don't know their processes.

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: December 25, 2023, 10:40:17 pm »

Do you see next-time Durations as being a thing we can expect in a lot of future expansions like Reactions and Events are, or as a thing that might pop up again once or never?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: December 26, 2023, 12:29:21 pm »
+3

Do you see next-time Durations as being a thing we can expect in a lot of future expansions like Reactions and Events are, or as a thing that might pop up again once or never?
It's not off the table to do one here and there. The only special pull is, it's a thing a card can do. I do need those.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: December 29, 2023, 03:09:07 am »

I don't know if this is the right time to ask (maybe you haven't even thought about this) but do you plan on anyone to keep doing Dominion after you are done with it? Maybe give playtesters more "power" while you're still providing ideas etc?

Or will it end after you're done?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: December 29, 2023, 12:23:39 pm »
+4

I don't know if this is the right time to ask (maybe you haven't even thought about this) but do you plan on anyone to keep doing Dominion after you are done with it? Maybe give playtesters more "power" while you're still providing ideas etc?

Or will it end after you're done?
It's possible at some point someone else will make an expansion, with me helping out; it's hard to see me not wanting to make sure it's good enough and uh true to the spirit. It's not something I'm pursuing though; I'm happy just slowing down the pace and still being the Dominion expansion guy. They're fun projects; I know they'll work in advance, I know what I'm doing, everyone is happy to playtest them, there's a publisher happy to publish them, and players happy to buy them. For me the reason to not make them is to have time to work on anything else; from time to time I expect it will always be, okay now another Dominion expansion sounds like fun. But I mean it's hard for anyone to predict the future. And it's not just up to me.

Eventually I'll be dead, and who knows what will happen then. Well may the world go, when I'm far away.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5565 on: January 09, 2024, 02:16:40 pm »

I saw that WotC is having problems with some of their artists using AI tools and it's causing quite the commotion in that community. Do you or RGG have any policies around that?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: January 10, 2024, 12:33:05 pm »
+1

I saw that WotC is having problems with some of their artists using AI tools and it's causing quite the commotion in that community. Do you or RGG have any policies around that?
So far just, don't rip off someone else's art or photo.

Tmanchester606

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: January 16, 2024, 12:05:06 pm »

Do the artists get to maintain the rights to their work, or do you or the publisher purchase the rights?  If ownership is not with the artist, any chance of a Dominion Art Book or something similar sometime in the future?  I'd absolutely pay to see high-res versions of the artwork.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: January 16, 2024, 12:13:41 pm »
+2

Do the artists get to maintain the rights to their work, or do you or the publisher purchase the rights?  If ownership is not with the artist, any chance of a Dominion Art Book or something similar sometime in the future?  I'd absolutely pay to see high-res versions of the artwork.
I don't own any art; I think the publisher does. I don't imagine there's enough interest in a book; you could mention your interest to the publisher and see if it piles up.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: January 16, 2024, 01:45:02 pm »
+1

I don't own any art; I think the publisher does. I don't imagine there's enough interest in a book; you could mention your interest to the publisher and see if it piles up.
You can find a list of all art at
https://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Gallery_of_illustrations
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: January 30, 2024, 12:27:07 am »
+2

Have you ever answered a rules question wrong on purpose, just to see how many people would believe you? Or is that too evil for someone in your shoes to try and pull?

Were there any new playtesters for Rising Sun? If so, do you know them online or in-person? (You don't have to name them if you or them don't want it revealed.)

What's more boring: picking cards for recommended sets, or naming them?

Do you still read Mark Rosewater’s Blogatog, and have you ever asked questions and/or sent him your thoughts on MTG that way? Do you have plans of starting your own version of Blogatog?

After finishing a new board game / expansion, do you take some time off, or immediately try to get a new project going?

When you run out of cards / sleeves to use for a prototype, where do you get more? Do you resort to unsleeving your other prototypes?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: January 30, 2024, 02:14:08 pm »
+6

Have you ever answered a rules question wrong on purpose, just to see how many people would believe you? Or is that too evil for someone in your shoes to try and pull?
No; I've left questions unanswered because they were about upcoming products, and I've failed to point out a rules hole that I knew existed but which players hadn't spotted.

Were there any new playtesters for Rising Sun? If so, do you know them online or in-person? (You don't have to name them if you or them don't want it revealed.)
Man, do they want to be revealed, dz? And do I secretly know you in person? That would be creepy. You started on MCB though.

What's more boring: picking cards for recommended sets, or naming them?
Write-in for answering questions about them.

It takes way longer to pick the cards than to name the sets, so that part is worse. Then we have to test them, but that part is fine, it's playing Dominion. For naming, the main issue is just, have I used this name already?

Do you still read Mark Rosewater’s Blogatog, and have you ever asked questions and/or sent him your thoughts on MTG that way? Do you have plans of starting your own version of Blogatog?
I think this is my Blogatog. I don't read it anymore (I've glanced at it once in a great while); I still look at previews for new sets, but it's gotten so that I don't even read all the cards there. Some are so wordy that it's a chore to read them.

I've never sent a question to Blogatog, but I've played games with Mark in person uh several times. I've been to the apartment he had, then the house he had, but not to the house he had after that one. We played my prototypes, back when I was nobody, and also my Magic cards. And two of his prototypes, neither of which has come out. He's talked about one in his column. This all went down from 1997-2003.

Years later I typed up a bunch of comments about how to fix up Magic - templates / rules / design - and email'd it to him. He replied but I don't think ever read all that stuff. They certainly haven't made any of the changes, even the most blatantly correct and easy ones. Once in a while I see how the templates have fallen even further, and think, I could poke him about that.

After finishing a new board game / expansion, do you take some time off, or immediately try to get a new project going?
I try to have multiple projects going at all times. Finishing an expansion isn't such a sharp dividing line; less and less is accomplished, it feels like it's about done, but until it's printed something could still change. Even when we stop playing it, it may come up, someone notices a wording that could be better, or I pull it out for some new players and then oops I should fix this. You can always make the game / expansion better; you just have to be done at some point.

So anyway. There have been periods where I played a bunch of games that weren't mine; just, my current projects weren't ready and well I like playing games. But it wasn't like I wasn't working on new games then; I just didn't have them ready to trot out.

I prefer working on multiple projects, so that when things stall on one I can look at another, or even, I can just take a break from one by working on another. Sometimes one project demands a lot of time though, so I get nothing or very little done on other projects, and this certainly happens with Dominion expansions.

Of course any given day might be time off. There's no real time pressure until the publisher has the game and things are moving forward there.

When you run out of cards / sleeves to use for a prototype, where do you get more? Do you resort to unsleeving your other prototypes?
I do unsleeve other prototypes, and also just buy sleeves online. Clear backs are better than colored backs - the colored-back sleeves tend to bend at the corners immediately, then break eventually - but sometimes a prototype has 3 decks and sure wants different backs, and while I can print out backs (I did for Temporum) it's easier to use colored-back sleeves. I buy heavy-duty awesome sleeves online, but in the past I had tons of cheap ones, and they're still floating around in prototypes, and still get reused.

Dominion's original sleeves went out of print, and while Sir Martin always pushes for resleeving everything, that's never happening. So now it has a mix of sleeves. Which isn't so different really, you could always tell the new cards from the backs due to wear on sleeves, which eventually becomes a thing. Those sleeves were amazing though, most of them are still functioning all these years later.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: February 03, 2024, 06:03:25 pm »

Base 2e, Intrigue 2e, and Empires, are about as old today as base was when it got a 2nd edition. If you were to do 2es for Cornuguildsia, Dark Ages, Adventures, and Empires (throw in Nocturne if you want), which cards would you take out?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: February 03, 2024, 06:52:00 pm »
+4

Base 2e, Intrigue 2e, and Empires, are about as old today as base was when it got a 2nd edition. If you were to do 2es for Cornuguildsia, Dark Ages, Adventures, and Empires (throw in Nocturne if you want), which cards would you take out?
I don't want to put much work into answering this, but for Adventures all I ever want to replace is Warrior, and for Empires, man, there might not be anything. I ban Keep online but I think it was fine to print it.

For Cornucopia the easy highlight is Harvest; for Guilds, Masterpiece. Dark Ages has lots of cards that could go at this point, but the first one out would be Rebuild.

Nocturne wants to be split up into two expansions, one with Night and Spirits, one with Heirlooms, Boons, and Wishes (neither with Hexes). It's not a matter of replacing a few cards.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: February 04, 2024, 03:49:49 am »
+1

Did you consider making the 2nd editions that came out last year into 400 or 500 card expansions?

Similarly did you consider putting Durations into Prosperity or Hinterlands? Or landscapes into any of them?

What's your latest thinking on how you decide how many cards to put in an expansion?
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 226  All

Page created in 2.647 seconds with 21 queries.