Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126807 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5150 on: June 25, 2021, 01:11:51 pm »
+2

Hypothetically, if Miser were not in Adventures, would you put it in Menagerie using Exile instead of the tavern mat?
Something like that could have tried out for Menagerie. It was sure nothing particular about the Tavern mat.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: June 25, 2021, 01:15:27 pm »
+7

Will you ever stop doing expansions? Please no
"Will he always have that cough?" "Not always," said the doctor.

I continue to desperately want to make Other Games. I was working on several when the pandemic hit; then, somehow Dominion was what could move forward, and so it has. There is more Dominion to come, but the plan continues to be to not work on it to the exclusion of all other projects. But, long-term, well long-term who knows, but they're fun projects; a big thing is, how much do people still want them. There is a lot of Dominion already.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: June 25, 2021, 01:37:10 pm »

Well I mean aren't there still many people wanting them?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: June 25, 2021, 03:40:32 pm »
+3

Will you ever stop doing expansions? Please no

As far as I'm aware, Donald X is mortal, so he can't do this forever
They/them

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: June 26, 2021, 05:17:50 am »

Yes sure he can't do them forever but it would be great if he releases like 1 expansions every 2 years or so. But of course I can't tell Donald what to do with his life, he already did 13 of them and thanks for that

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: June 26, 2021, 11:17:41 am »
+4

But of course I can't tell Donald what to do with his life, he already did 13 of them

What were your previous incarnations like, Donald?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: June 26, 2021, 11:53:05 am »
+6

On current statistics, only 93% of people die. He might get lucky...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: June 26, 2021, 12:37:28 pm »
+4

But of course I can't tell Donald what to do with his life, he already did 13 of them

What were your previous incarnations like, Donald?
One word: nirvana.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5158 on: June 28, 2021, 10:46:24 am »
+3

93% of people die

Dying is more skippable than people think.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: June 28, 2021, 01:27:37 pm »
+2

On current statistics, only 93% of people die. He might get lucky...

Fun fact, this is actually true.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5160 on: July 20, 2021, 04:05:12 pm »
+1

Since you've abandoned the idea of "all non-Supply cards cost ," how much would the Prizes cost if you made Tournament nowadays?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: July 21, 2021, 12:40:32 pm »
+13

Since you've abandoned the idea of "all non-Supply cards cost ," how much would the Prizes cost if you made Tournament nowadays?
Probably $7*.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: July 26, 2021, 01:40:16 am »

I imagine the use of "2+" on Devil's Workshop was just to fit the text at the largest font size, but have you considered using it it on other cards as well (e.g. "each other player with 5+ cards in hand")?

Why isn't Experiment just "+3 Cards, +1 Action, return to the supply?" Why does it need the bottom part at all? Similar question with Port. "It works with Academy and Adventures tokens" doesn't seem like a good enough reason.

Do you think Capitalism should say "non-Duration?" You'd fix a bunch of "removing Treasure-Durations from play" problems with Counterfeit/Mint/Mandarin/etc., if Capitalism just didn't let it happen at all.

Do you still think Chariot Race should be in Empires? Having a card that compares costs, in an expansion with debt cards, seems like asking for trouble among casual players. (Kind of like how in the D&D Mtg expansion, people weren't able to tell the difference between flavor and ability words, and Mark Rosewater said that it was a lesson in having both be in the same set.)

Do you feel like recent cards have gotten too...generous I guess? For example, Imps and Will-o'-Wisps have challenges around them to be a Lab, and then Horses just work in every deck (and the fact that Horses are temporary doesn't mean much when you're playing multiple Paddocks every turn).

And is Hunting Lodge too good? I don't like how it's optional, when compared to Scholar and Cursed Village. It even made it onto your list of "most likely to be too strong" when you finalized Menagerie.

About the font-size question I asked like a month ago, a convenient example about me not fully on-board with your policy is Gamble. The use of "otherwise" instead of a better wording seems like a mistake. We'll most likely disagree here, but I would have preferred slightly longer and shrunken text instead of the current wording. There are certainly times where I think being as concise as possible is correct (like Fleet), but not for Gamble.

Thanks for answering my questions; as a game design major, your posts and Dominion are very inspirational and educational to me.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: July 26, 2021, 10:08:33 am »

Why isn't Experiment just "+3 Cards, +1 Action, return to the supply?" Why does it need the bottom part at all? Similar question with Port. "It works with Academy and Adventures tokens" doesn't seem like a good enough reason.

Not all decks are thinned so much that you can always have both Experiments in the same hand, so 2 Experiments are frequently not the same as the card you describe.

Additionally, there's a bunch of cases beyond Academy and tokens that would care about multiple cards: trash for benefit probably being the most ubiquitous, but also cards that care about number of gains, etc.

And, I don't know if this is true or not, but my guess is that BOGO village was Port's whole shtick, so without the "when you buy this" trigger, it likely wouldn't have enough reason to exist.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: July 26, 2021, 12:36:48 pm »
+5

I imagine the use of "2+" on Devil's Workshop was just to fit the text at the largest font size, but have you considered using it it on other cards as well (e.g. "each other player with 5+ cards in hand")?
I've done it in the prototype. On published cards we are as boringly clear as possible.

This possibility did not escape me. It was more interesting to have it be two cards. If I hadn't had the wording I did it might have just ended up as a single "+3 Cards" Horse, but I did have the wording, and got to do the more interesting card. Having them be two cards is different lots of ways.

Do you think Capitalism should say "non-Duration?" You'd fix a bunch of "removing Treasure-Durations from play" problems with Counterfeit/Mint/Mandarin/etc., if Capitalism just didn't let it happen at all.
These seem like pretty obscure problems, whereas Capitalism would be failing to spice up Durations with +$ all the time.

Do you still think Chariot Race should be in Empires? Having a card that compares costs, in an expansion with debt cards, seems like asking for trouble among casual players. (Kind of like how in the D&D Mtg expansion, people weren't able to tell the difference between flavor and ability words, and Mark Rosewater said that it was a lesson in having both be in the same set.)
I think they did blow it on pack tactics, and I am still fine with Chariot Race in Empires, and don't find these things especially comparable.

Cards that look at cost are common. People were going to have to know that you can't gain Engineer with e.g. Engineer, and so on.

Do you feel like recent cards have gotten too...generous I guess? For example, Imps and Will-o'-Wisps have challenges around them to be a Lab, and then Horses just work in every deck (and the fact that Horses are temporary doesn't mean much when you're playing multiple Paddocks every turn).
You aren't comparing anything meaningful there. You can't buy those cards. The question is all about how "generous" Devil's Workshop and Hostelry and so on are.

As always Dominion has nothing to gain from "power creep," no incentive towards it; thus there is no trend towards it, beyond the "hey where are all the utter duds" trend.

And is Hunting Lodge too good? I don't like how it's optional, when compared to Scholar and Cursed Village. It even made it onto your list of "most likely to be too strong" when you finalized Menagerie.
At this point, this is a question for someone else. You can chat with top players on the discord and see if they think Hunting Lodge is too good. I don't keep testing the cards once they're out; I'm testing other cards or other games. Hunting Lodge will show up sometimes but you know, new insights will be slow there. Whereas there is tons of data from people playing online.

About the font-size question I asked like a month ago, a convenient example about me not fully on-board with your policy is Gamble. The use of "otherwise" instead of a better wording seems like a mistake. We'll most likely disagree here, but I would have preferred slightly longer and shrunken text instead of the current wording. There are certainly times where I think being as concise as possible is correct (like Fleet), but not for Gamble.
There is the policy of not making new cards that require a small font; that doesn't seem at issue here. Then there's, trying to make cards that are borderline fit by giving them not-quite-perfect wordings. That may be a mistake. But the fix isn't necessarily to use the small font; usually it would be, to not do that card.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: July 27, 2021, 02:26:35 pm »
+3

the fix isn't necessarily to use the small font; usually it would be, to not do that card.
Or do it slightly differently -- like for Gamble, removing the "you may" choice would be simple and flavorful to its name.  As a bonus it would make resolution quicker (less Scrying Pool-like)
My opponent has more loot than me

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: August 07, 2021, 12:14:56 am »

Why is the Supply the only "zone" in the game that's capitalized? And why is the trash not capitalized?

Why is Exiling cards capitalized? It always looked weird to me that of all the verbs in the game (gain, draw, etc.), Exile was the only one that's capitalized.

Why is it a Triumphal Arch and not just an Arch? And why is it a Defiled Shrine and not just a Shrine?

Would you still put Enchantress/Archive in Empires, and Cargo Ship/Research in Renaissance? I feel like if I only had 2 awesome Duration cards that didn't require the set's mechanics, I would just save them for a future set, with more Duration cards? Kind of like how you said that Flag Bearer and Swashbuckler could have been saved for a future set, when you had more Artifacts that were worthwhile.

What are your thoughts on the recent Command-like cards? Obviously the original versions of Inheritance and Band of Misfits were a mistake, but I think Necromancer, Captain, and Mouse may be the perfect example of "it's nowhere near simple, but it fits the text box so it still gets printed."

What cards were you surprised to learn were controversial and frequently-banned (Invest is a good example)? There are cards where you knew beforehand that some people would hate (like Knights), so I'm curious about the opposite.
Quote from: The Secret History of Dark Ages
[Knights] are for the people who like this kind of thing, and well some people adore them, slower game and all. Some people are all, my cards, my precious cards, and well there are plenty of other cards in the set for those guys.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: August 08, 2021, 12:39:13 pm »
+4

Why is the Supply the only "zone" in the game that's capitalized? And why is the trash not capitalized?
Possibly trash the-place should be capitalized. This is one of those things that just happened, it wasn't super thought-through.

Why is Exiling cards capitalized? It always looked weird to me that of all the verbs in the game (gain, draw, etc.), Exile was the only one that's capitalized.
It's just to try to make the cards as readable as possible. It was a question when making Renaissance and that's how it went. It's an expansion-specific word.

Why is it a Triumphal Arch and not just an Arch? And why is it a Defiled Shrine and not just a Shrine?
In the long run I haven't done enough adjectiving; the name space gets tight when you make so many expansions. Adjectives can also help with making it easier to remember what the cards do, with making the names more of a match for the functionality. And they're flavorful. So really it's the opposite; why so many non-adjectived nouns? But then it's nice to have terse names too.

In these particular cases, a Triumphal Arch is a thing, that was the concept, not just an arch. Defiled Shrine was the concept there too. I don't think a plain Shrine would involve buying a Curse.

Would you still put Enchantress/Archive in Empires, and Cargo Ship/Research in Renaissance? I feel like if I only had 2 awesome Duration cards that didn't require the set's mechanics, I would just save them for a future set, with more Duration cards? Kind of like how you said that Flag Bearer and Swashbuckler could have been saved for a future set, when you had more Artifacts that were worthwhile.
Originally all sets from Seaside on were going to have Duration cards; Fishing Village for example was from Prosperity. This didn't happen because of how things went down for Valerie with Seaside; she didn't like Duration cards, and spent a couple pages on the rules for them. My rulebook only spends a short paragraph on Durations, and I like them, and they are very popular with players. They open up card possibilities significantly, especially for Attacks. So, I'm happy having a couple nice ones in an expansion like that, and always have been. And it's no trouble, it's easy to make them.

Artifacts meanwhile were a new thing that was hard to get right. Waiting might have let me get to five good cards to do for them.

What are your thoughts on the recent Command-like cards? Obviously the original versions of Inheritance and Band of Misfits were a mistake, but I think Necromancer, Captain, and Mouse may be the perfect example of "it's nowhere near simple, but it fits the text box so it still gets printed."
I'm not quite sure what you mean. "It fits the text box" isn't the only criteria for how complex a card is, or what justifies making it to print.

Sometimes fun cards make it out because of how fun they are, despite issues. There are some examples! Band of Misfits left Dark Ages due to its rules issues; it came back because people missed it. People liked it when it came out, and often it's not tricky. The original version was a mistake, but I'm not sure that the tweaked version is. It's not the kind of thing I want to do lots of, but it's fun.

Way of the Mouse had the significant issue of, all the other Ways are intentionally worse than whatever non-awful $2 you might buy, but this isn't. It was fun. There wasn't a fix. There it is, spicing up games.

What cards were you surprised to learn were controversial and frequently-banned (Invest is a good example)? There are cards where you knew beforehand that some people would hate (like Knights), so I'm curious about the opposite.
Quote from: The Secret History of Dark Ages
[Knights] are for the people who like this kind of thing, and well some people adore them, slower game and all. Some people are all, my cards, my precious cards, and well there are plenty of other cards in the set for those guys.
In the early days I didn't realize that people would hate "it attacks but doesn't make resources" (Saboteur and Sea Hag, both of which have other problems too). I didn't anticipate hate for Black Market; it's super-fun.

Is Invest so controversial? I think there are just a few discord people who speak out against it. Here's where it lies in the banned lists:

58 [OVERLORD]
 61 [VINEYARD, WEREWOLF, CAPTAIN]
 62 [SALT_THE_EARTH, INVEST]
 63 [ANNEX]
 65 [CONSPIRATOR]

It's that card people hate, like they hate Vineyard and Conspirator.

As it happens it's also on 62 Liked lists (also this data is several months old).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: August 08, 2021, 07:29:10 pm »
+1

In hindsight, would you have given one of the Supply cards +buy (e.g. Gold)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: August 09, 2021, 12:00:16 pm »
+5

In hindsight, would you have given one of the Supply cards +buy (e.g. Gold)?
No. The intention is that not every game has each basic element.

Fernandothehorse

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: August 09, 2021, 12:13:56 pm »
+4

You've mentioned that you're hoping to get a set out in October-November. Other expansions released around then (Nocturne + Renaissance) were officially announced the first week of August. Can we expect to see an announcement for this mysterious next set sometime soon?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: August 09, 2021, 06:50:12 pm »
+3

You've mentioned that you're hoping to get a set out in October-November. Other expansions released around then (Nocturne + Renaissance) were officially announced the first week of August. Can we expect to see an announcement for this mysterious next set sometime soon?
I'll know about the announcement at the same time as everyone else. It's not a carefully orchestrated thing, it's just kind of random.

dmi3kno

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: August 10, 2021, 07:01:48 am »
+2

Other expansions released around then (Nocturne + Renaissance) were officially announced the first week of August. Can we expect to see an announcement for this mysterious next set sometime soon?
Newsletter was released yesterday https://www.riograndegames.com/2021/08/summer-2021-newsletter-now-available/ and Dominion is till under the codename.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: August 11, 2021, 09:44:58 am »

Other expansions released around then (Nocturne + Renaissance) were officially announced the first week of August. Can we expect to see an announcement for this mysterious next set sometime soon?
Newsletter was released yesterday https://www.riograndegames.com/2021/08/summer-2021-newsletter-now-available/ and Dominion is till under the codename.

I mean, if it’s one of the codenames it’s gotta be “project over yonder” right?
Fire bird, twister, hook, and gps don’t sound very Dominiony to me.

Maybe Dominion Abroad? Just a guess.

Donald X., do they get your approval for finished/drafted art? Have you ever rejected a piece of artwork? What’s your role besides sending notes to the artist before they make anything?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: August 11, 2021, 10:43:20 am »
+1

Given that apparently sets with the same name as previous cards are now a thing, it could be Dominion: Distant Lands.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.