Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127066 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4950 on: April 29, 2020, 11:44:03 am »
+11

What's the main reason you opted for players not to be able to look through their discard pile (unless a card tells you that you can)?
So that they wouldn't slow down the game by pawing through it constantly.

urza

• Swindler
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: May 04, 2020, 01:20:10 pm »
+1

I have a house rule that it's fine to look through your discard pile as long as you're not being annoying about it (no one I play with is that serious, so it's not a problem).  But I've seen some dominion championship matches online where the player spends a minute or so looking through the game log to deduce what's left in his deck, so it seems like the rule kind of backfires in that case.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:26:32 pm by urza »

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: May 04, 2020, 01:38:55 pm »
+3

But I've seen some dominion championship matches online where the player spends a minute or so looking through the game log to deduce what's left in his deck, so it seems like the rule kind of backfires in that case.
The rules are written for IRL play, where there is no log to look through either.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: May 04, 2020, 02:15:35 pm »
+4

But I've seen some dominion championship matches online where the player spends a minute or so looking through the game log to deduce what's left in his deck, so it seems like the rule kind of backfires in that case.
The rules are written for IRL play, where there is no log to look through either.

Yes, the fact that current online Dominion allows you to see all previous information really bugs me. I think Iso had a great solution of only showing the past 2 turns.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Vengil

• Scout
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: May 04, 2020, 03:37:09 pm »
+5

Yes, the fact that current online Dominion allows you to see all previous information really bugs me. I think Iso had a great solution of only showing the past 2 turns.

I agree.
And i don't like seeing victory points during the game. We lose a lot of strategy at the end of the game...
Viewing victory points should not be automatically checked in lobby.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #4955 on: May 04, 2020, 04:22:58 pm »
+4

I agree.
And i don't like seeing victory points during the game. We lose a lot of strategy at the end of the game...

Being able to remember victory points is not strategy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:41 pm »

I agree.

There are various valid uses of the term "strategy" as it pertains to playing board games. In this case, it is being used as "something you should learn to do to be better at the game", and with that understanding, tracking victory points (and deck contents in general; including what has been played this shuffle or not, etc); is a part of Dominion strategy.

If you are thinking of "strategy" more specifically as "what sort of deck is the best one to try and build given the current Kingdom" then no, memorization wouldn't be that. But I think it's clear from the post that Vengil meant it the first way.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Vengil

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: May 04, 2020, 05:16:29 pm »

Yes ! :)
And somes games are won or lost because of this! (mistake in deck contents or in victory points).

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: May 04, 2020, 10:44:44 pm »
+2

I agree.

I'm surprised that victory points are visible at all given Donald's stance on the matter of tracking them IRL.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: May 04, 2020, 11:19:22 pm »

I agree.

Those are the words of someone who can’t track.
-The Compulsive Completist

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: May 04, 2020, 11:39:52 pm »

I agree.

I'm surprised that victory points are visible at all given Donald's stance on the matter of tracking them IRL.

It's likely a result of the fact that it’s near impossible to stop people from tracking such things on their own with online play. The easiest way to prevent such cheating is to use a variant where doing so isn’t cheating.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: May 05, 2020, 12:30:27 am »
+3

I remember this discussion about VP trackers from, I think, 2011 or 2012. Or something like that. Some things never change...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: May 05, 2020, 09:27:48 am »
+1

Yes that was ideal.

It's something a lot of people wanted. IRL, it's extremely easy to track them (for most games).

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4963 on: May 05, 2020, 10:38:14 am »

is there a "standard type order" for cards? or is it kinda whichever parts are more important are listed first?
I'm just thinking specifically Enchantress and Gatekeeper have the same set of types but are in different order.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: May 05, 2020, 11:00:58 am »

is there a "standard type order" for cards? or is it kinda whichever parts are more important are listed first?
I'm just thinking specifically Enchantress and Gatekeeper have the same set of types but are in different order.

Is there a specific reason or formula for the order types are written on cards?
The vague idea is to put the ones that determine when you can play the card first, and after that have the ones that don't mean as much. I may have been inconsistent somewhere.

I noticed that Gatekeeper has its types listed as Action - Duration - Attack, even though all the other Duration Attacks have Attack come first. Was this a mistake?
I think you mean Raider; Raider has Duration in front of Attacks, all other Duration Attacks have Attack first. Well I have news for you. There's a new set, and a card in it called Gatekeeper also does that.

It's just me thinking, what order should these be in, oh Duration should be ahead of Attack, and doing that. If I remember I'll change it in Adventures when the time comes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:04:26 am by dz »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4965 on: May 05, 2020, 11:22:02 am »

ah, late to the party as usual

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: May 05, 2020, 05:38:24 pm »
+1

Is there a reason why Market Square says 'when one of your cards is trashed' instead of just 'when you trash a card'? Was it specifically to avoid interactions with Lurker and Gladiator?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: May 05, 2020, 05:57:21 pm »

Bandit, Warrior et al.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: May 05, 2020, 06:28:44 pm »
+3

Is there a reason why Market Square says 'when one of your cards is trashed' instead of just 'when you trash a card'? Was it specifically to avoid interactions with Lurker and Gladiator?
It's just trying to be clear. If e.g. I play Knight and it hits your Gold, technically you trash the Gold, not me. But, having Market Square say this is still clearer for some people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4969 on: May 06, 2020, 04:30:29 am »

Why would a Dark Ages card be worded a certain way to avoid interactions with cards that didn't exist at the time?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: May 06, 2020, 05:24:48 am »

Why would a Dark Ages card be worded a certain way to avoid interactions with cards that didn't exist at the time?
Ah, true. Didn't think about that.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: May 06, 2020, 08:48:11 am »
+6

Those cards did not exist, but the concept of "trash from the supply" did. There are early cards with wordings that anticipate things from later sets, or things that died and then were tried again with the post-Guilds sets.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: May 10, 2020, 08:31:15 am »
+1

For future printings, would you consider unifying the Tavern Mat, Exile Mat, and Island Mat?

Vengil

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: May 10, 2020, 09:44:18 am »
+1

For future printings, would you consider unifying the Tavern Mat, Exile Mat, and Island Mat?

in another post, I suggested a play mat like this : https://i.ibb.co/QfK7rdt/k3G9dYj.jpg
We could simply modify it (so that it works with all combinations). An area for:
- Deck / discard
- Play area
- Coffers
- Villagers
- Debts
- Victory points
- Only one or two area for all Side cards (durations + exile + tavern + islands + native village + Miser + States + Artifacts + other cards)

Maybe as a promo (to pay) on BoardGameGeek?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:55:18 am by Vengil »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: May 10, 2020, 10:19:08 am »
+2

The Tavern mat is different from the Exile mat, they do not want to be combined. If I were making the game from scratch they might be turned into one thing, but I'm not. The Island mat sure doesn't need to be a separate thing, but the way to get rid of that mat is to stop printing Island.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.