Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126885 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4225 on: April 04, 2018, 09:20:14 pm »
+1

OK. Now I want a Rodents Of Unusual Size promo...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: April 05, 2018, 12:15:34 am »
+16

OK. Now I want a Rodents Of Unusual Size promo...

Well, there are 20 of them in the supply pile. That's an unusual amount.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: April 05, 2018, 08:47:58 am »

I keep trying to come up with a Grand Market-style Rats variant now but just keep coming up with Junk Dealer.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: April 09, 2018, 11:58:06 am »

The Kingdom-space of Dominion is large enough now that the game feels robust to certain combos that would have felt game-breaking when the card pool was smaller.

Do you agree?

Has this changed your philosophy when designing/developing cards?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: April 09, 2018, 02:50:49 pm »
+6

The Kingdom-space of Dominion is large enough now that the game feels robust to certain combos that would have felt game-breaking when the card pool was smaller.

Do you agree?

Has this changed your philosophy when designing/developing cards?
I wouldn't say my philosophy has changed, but rather that it's always included a "how many cards are there" factor.

A two-card combo that requires two specific cards isn't a problem once you don't see it that often. If they're in the same set you see the combo too much, if the combo is dominating (and not also "we always love doing that"). If they aren't you don't... unless you have a particular mix of expansions that you totally might. If the combo is Capital plus Mandarin, well maybe you just bought Dominion, Hinterlands, Empires. That's not some ludicrous scenario. But nevertheless, if it's a specific two cards and they're in different sets, I feel less worried. I factor that in. Like, Feodum didn't get to kill Masterpiece.

If it's a card plus a category of cards then it's a problem; a card that's broken with Militias is just broken. If it's three cards then man whatever. I did fix the Masquerade pin, which was two cards plus a category. I mean that's another thing: what am I giving up by fixing the problem? If nothing, probably I fix it, even if it's a two-card combo that won't come up much.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: April 09, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
+9

I did fix the Masquerade pin, which was two cards plus a category. I mean that's another thing: what am I giving up by fixing the problem? If nothing, probably I fix it, even if it's a two-card combo that won't come up much.

I think there's also a big difference in how a pin-combo feels compared to how something like Mandarin-Capital feels. You get pinned and it's miserable. Your opponent pulls off Mandarin-Capital and you think, "Oh wow, that's cool. I hadn't seen that before."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: April 09, 2018, 03:26:49 pm »

How do you feel about the idea of rotating supplies?  I get the sense that most Dominion players frown upon it, but Black Market is my favorite card, and that design choice seems to be common in other deckbuilders.  What would you change if you were gonna re-work Dominion into a more "black markety" format, and do you think that would make the game inherently worse (or better)?
In my initial notes for Dominion, I gave it a rotating supply. When it came time to make the game, I thought, wouldn't you just endlessly be screwed because good cards came up when you didn't have first shot at them? So I didn't do that.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/996671/secret-history-dominion

I have not put in the work to know what I'd do if I tried to make a version of Dominion with a rotating supply. There's no special draw towards trying it, because man, it's been done. The big things you get are 1) you need way fewer cards, and 2) it gives you a more tactical rather than strategic game, which could be something you wanted.

You don't really need to put in the work anyway, since it's been done almost to death and never quite gotten to the point where it's anything like Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4232 on: April 11, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »
+1

Why were Boons called Boons and not Gifts? Or, rather, why weren't they called "The Earth's Boon", "The Field's Boon", etc.?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: April 11, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »

If it's a card plus a category of cards then it's a problem; a card that's broken with Militias is just broken. If it's three cards then man whatever. I did fix the Masquerade pin, which was two cards plus a category. I mean that's another thing: what am I giving up by fixing the problem? If nothing, probably I fix it, even if it's a two-card combo that won't come up much.

Royal Carriage is the only card that on its own combos with Masquerade to enable a complete pin. At the time that Royal Carriage was printed, was the fix to Masquerade in 2nd Edition Intrigue already planned?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: April 11, 2018, 02:31:26 pm »
+2

Why were Boons called Boons and not Gifts? Or, rather, why weren't they called "The Earth's Boon", "The Field's Boon", etc.?
I had names I liked and I used them! There is no interesting story here. I like Boon, I like The Earth's Gift. I don't feel compelled to put the name of the category into the names of the elements.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: April 11, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »
+3

Royal Carriage is the only card that on its own combos with Masquerade to enable a complete pin. At the time that Royal Carriage was printed, was the fix to Masquerade in 2nd Edition Intrigue already planned?
I don't know without checking, but I can tell you that there's no connection; there was no point at which I was thinking, wait, consider this particular interaction, what will I be doing about that. I did Royal Carriage because it was a cool card and I fixed the Masquerade pin because I had the opportunity and it seemed worth fixing.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:01 pm »
+8

Did the well-known blue dog discussion inform the development and naming of Faithful Hound?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: April 17, 2018, 04:59:20 am »
+15

Did the well-known blue dog discussion inform the development and naming of Faithful Hound?
The card name wasn't based on that, but when I made the card I thought, sweet, a blue dog.

I tried two cards at the same time for that slot, two reactions that cared about being discarded. The other was a Black Cat. That would have been cool too. But the blue dog was better.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: May 10, 2018, 07:40:02 am »

Cornucopia's 2E rulebook has the jesters fighting to the death joke. Did you intentionally add it back in?

Why did you change Raider from a cost of $5 to $6, and also change "4 or more cards" to "5 or more cards?" (From Nocturne's secret history) Was it just too good?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: May 10, 2018, 05:50:49 pm »
+3

Cornucopia's 2E rulebook has the jesters fighting to the death joke. Did you intentionally add it back in?
Shhhhh.

Technically I didn't add it back in, I just made the new rulebook based on my old file, which always had it. And Jay based the back cover on the previous back cover, so it's still not there.

Why did you change Raider from a cost of $5 to $6, and also change "4 or more cards" to "5 or more cards?" (From Nocturne's secret history) Was it just too good?
Letting it work twice is just too oppressive. It couldn't have been "4 or more" for more than one evening.

It was $5 until late in the going. We had some bad recommended set games where someone got it on a 5/2, and then we played some more games that intentionally had a 5/2 Raider, and then I upped it to $6. When you get it turn one, the Cutpurse effect - all it does for you then - keeps other players from $5. And they can't buy the Cutpurse to do that right back to you - the Cutpurse costs $5. It stood out as a thing that made players have no fun. I could have tried to make a weaker cheaper version, so we could all buy it, or just up it to $6, and well time was short and $6 seemed fine.

dsplaisted

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: May 23, 2018, 03:07:21 pm »
+1

Can you give any information on when the Base Cards will be back "in stock"?

Right now it seems they are pretty scarce, and cost almost as much as a full 2E base set, which makes me wish I had bought the full 2E base set instead of the upgrade pack.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: May 23, 2018, 04:32:32 pm »
+1

Can you give any information on when the Base Cards will be back "in stock"?

Right now it seems they are pretty scarce, and cost almost as much as a full 2E base set, which makes me wish I had bought the full 2E base set instead of the upgrade pack.
We did our work on it a while ago, so I expect it soon. I don't have a date though.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: May 23, 2018, 06:13:20 pm »

Can you share any other news about the next expansion (which may show up too early for some people on BGG)?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4243 on: May 23, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »

Can you share any other news about the next expansion (which may show up too early for some people on BGG)?

Where are you getting the information that there is a next expansion?

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: May 23, 2018, 06:39:33 pm »
+2

Where are you getting the information that there is a next expansion?

Here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29140912#29140912

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:23 pm »
+3

I like to leave announcements to the publisher.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: May 24, 2018, 04:18:29 pm »

The card name wasn't based on that, but when I made the card I thought, sweet, a blue dog.

I tried two cards at the same time for that slot, two reactions that cared about being discarded. The other was a Black Cat. That would have been cool too. But the blue dog was better.

Now I'm kinda sad there's no black cat (which I assume would be a Night-only card named Cat).  At least we have a Bat.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4247 on: May 25, 2018, 12:56:29 am »

Now I'm kinda sad there's no black cat (which I assume would be a Night-only card named Cat).  At least we have a Bat.

There's also Bad Omens, which has (according to Adam Horton) a black cat doing cocaine.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:51 am »
+2

The Secret History for Wedding says it used to have a different bonus that you decided not to use until a future expansion. Was that receiving a Boon?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: May 25, 2018, 01:16:04 am »
+7

The Secret History for Wedding says it used to have a different bonus that you decided not to use until a future expansion. Was that receiving a Boon?

Yes. It had “Recieve a Boon” instead of +1 VP. And at the time, one of the Boons was “+1 VP”.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.