Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2148071 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1800 on: February 09, 2015, 06:42:26 pm »
+8

If one of your kids wouldn't look much like you, would you call it Donald XI?
The X isn't a Roman numeral, it's a variable. So the real question is, what about Donald Y?

And the answer is no. I like having an uncommon first name and don't want to spoil that by assigning it to more people.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:55 pm »

The X isn't a Roman numeral, it's a variable. So the real question is, what about Donald Y?

And the answer is no. I like having an uncommon first name and don't want to spoil that by assigning it to more people.

Can you just make the first name the variable?  X Vaccarino?

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 09, 2015, 06:55:56 pm »
+2

Donald is an uncommon first name?
I've got a friend called Cooroo who might like to talk to you about that.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 09, 2015, 06:59:08 pm »
+1

I would say it's fairly uncommon.  I'm 55 and I've only known one other person that went by Donald.  Everyone else shortens it to Don, or their legal name is just Don, not Donald.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 09, 2015, 07:05:31 pm »

I would say it's fairly uncommon.  I'm 55 and I've only known one other person that went by Donald.  Everyone else shortens it to Don, or their legal name is just Don, not Donald.
Interesting, because according to http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/century.html, Donald is the 14th most common male first name in the last 100 years.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 09, 2015, 07:06:44 pm »
+1

I'm 55 and I've only known one other person that went by Donald.

What did he look, swim and quack like?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:10:01 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 09, 2015, 07:08:00 pm »
+1

Most pretension name for a song title ever?
And what part of it is the band name? It's just a mess all around.

There are a bunch of pretenders vying for the pretentious song title throne. It's tempting to go with one of the long titles on the Sufjan Stevens album Illinois, e.g.

Sufjan Stevens - "The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!'"

It's always disappointing when an interesting title turns out to be an instrumental, even if the instrumental is good. I'm not sure I want to fault one of those though. I could just pick an awful instrumental with a grandiose title, like

Pink Floyd - The Grand Vizier's Garden Party (Part 1: Entrance; Part 2: Entertainment; Part 3: Exit)

Man, that's good enough. I can't spend all day looking for pretentious song titles.

Now long titles that are great, there are plenty of those. Guided by Voices / Pollard and Game Theory / Loud Family have a bunch. Man, you know you're in for a good time with a title like

Loud Family - Screwed Over by Stylish Introverts

or

Loud Family - Asleep and Awake on the Man's Freeway

or

Loud Family - Ballad of How You Can All Shut Up

The most sublime title though, sadly just thrown onto an instrumental snippet, is

Game Theory - All Clockwork and No Bodily Fluids Makes Hal a Dull Metal Humbert

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: February 09, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »

What should I have for dinner tonight?
Acid Ranch - Salvation Army Bacon and Eggs

Yes, there were many delightful meals you could have had instead. Just be glad I didn't give you

Eels - Hospital Food

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 09, 2015, 07:17:20 pm »

Interesting, because according to http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/century.html, Donald is the 14th most common male first name in the last 100 years.
It was common a couple generations before me; it was not so common in my generation.

See: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-tell-someones-age-when-all-you-know-is-her-name/

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 09, 2015, 07:21:01 pm »

Hmm. Clearly I've been hanging out with the wrong people.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 09, 2015, 07:38:06 pm »
+2

Here is a graph of how popular it is (taken from here).

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1811 on: February 09, 2015, 07:39:56 pm »

I looked up the same thing. The interesting thing to me was that it was very close to cracking top 500 for girls circa 1930

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:54 pm »

1930's.
Clearly influemced by the topical sucess of either Bradman or Duck
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 09, 2015, 07:53:31 pm »
+1

Quote from: Wikipedia
Donald Duck is a cartoon character created in 1934 at Walt Disney Productions.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 09, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »

Too slow!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: February 09, 2015, 07:55:33 pm »
+4

or... because it was a common name, they gave it to a prominent cartoon character. It was on the rise prior to 1934.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:34 pm »
+4

or... because it was a common name, they gave it to a prominent cartoon character. It was on the rise prior to 1934.

Obviously, and I was implying Donald Duck was responsible for the ensuing steep drop ;)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: February 09, 2015, 09:24:24 pm »

I own very few physical boxes of Dominion, so I'm not familiar with the extra materials for all the expansions.  I just noticed that the f.ds wiki says that Prosperity has 8 victory token mats.  Why are there 8?

Also, a google image search turns up these two images:

Is the different art from different editions of the game?  Or maybe one set is fan-made?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: February 09, 2015, 09:29:03 pm »
+2

I've never seen the thing on the right, but I own the ones on the left, and there are 8. I don't know why.

Actually, I do know why (read: I have a guess). There is also the trade route mat. There need to be at least 6, one for each player, but 7 is prime, eww. Might as well make there 8 mats so the mats fit nicely in a 3x3 cardboard punch-out.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: February 09, 2015, 09:35:34 pm »
+4

I suspect 8 mats is so you can play two 4p games at once.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:16 pm »
+1

I own very few physical boxes of Dominion, so I'm not familiar with the extra materials for all the expansions.  I just noticed that the f.ds wiki says that Prosperity has 8 victory token mats.  Why are there 8?

Is the different art from different editions of the game?  Or maybe one set is fan-made?

Looks like the odd mats on the right are from a foreign edition, though I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.boardgame.de/reviews/dompros.htm

Did a google search of the image, that was the only link that came up.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: February 09, 2015, 09:44:34 pm »

I've never seen the thing on the right, but I own the ones on the left, and there are 8. I don't know why.

Actually, I do know why (read: I have a guess). There is also the trade route mat. There need to be at least 6, one for each player, but 7 is prime, eww. Might as well make there 8 mats so the mats fit nicely in a 3x3 cardboard punch-out.

Adventures apparently only has 6 mats though.  What would the rest of the cardboard be for then? :P

The ones on the right look like Dominion art.  Middle left is from the Prosperity box, bottom left is Alchemy, bottom right is Seaside.

Actually, the top two on the image on the left are also from Prosperity/Seaside, matching the ones in the right image.  Huh.  The one in the middle is from the Intrigue box and bottom left looks like base.  Middle right is Vineyards.  Middle left looks like a different section of the Seaside box.

Can anybody identify what all the other images are from?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: February 09, 2015, 09:54:43 pm »
+1

I don't know why there are 8; it was just something Jay did. And as you can see he reused box/card art for them. Some of the ones on the right are from the original German covers for the main set and/or Intrigue, which are different from the English covers.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »
+1

Adventures apparently only has 6 mats though.  What would the rest of the cardboard be for then? :P

The ones on the right look like Dominion art.  Middle left is from the Prosperity box, bottom left is Alchemy, bottom right is Seaside.

Actually, the top two on the image on the left are also from Prosperity/Seaside, matching the ones in the right image.  Huh.  The one in the middle is from the Intrigue box and bottom left looks like base.  Middle right is Vineyards.  Middle left looks like a different section of the Seaside box.

Can anybody identify what all the other images are from?

Adventures doesn't have a lone Trade Route map bumping up the number, though, so it can go with 2x3. Prosperity couldn't; that'd mean one Trade Route and five VP mats.

How did Seaside handle the mats thing? The only physical copy I've seen is missing them.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 09, 2015, 10:11:58 pm »
+9

Looks like the odd mats on the right are from a foreign edition, though I'm not 100% sure.

The mats on the right are from the german edition of Prosperity. Actually, i find them much less "odd" looking than the ones you seem to use. I mean, honestly, what kind of design decision is "let's show a tree and half of a man", anyway?

Either way, you know the Prosperity boat, the Seaside ship and the alchemy alchemist. The other three come from the german Base game and Intrigue, respectively. Hans im Glück (who sold it at that time) disliked the "military" looks of the base game (which is weird anyhow, considering there's exactly one "military" card in base, Militia) and so they decided to do their own. For Intrigue, which was sold as another standalone, they used another part of the same big image, which makes for the cute feature that base and Intrigue, when placed next to each other, form one big scenery. all that changed now, since Rio Grande Games now does the Dominion sale in germany, too, and went back to their own design for both games.

Here are my Base and Intrigue boxes which i use as a storage solution:

PS: When i wrote this, i accidentally went back and had to write all the text again. So i expect massive amounts of respect for my selfless giving of information and the hardships i had to endure for it. :P
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.525 seconds with 22 queries.