Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126715 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1675 on: January 31, 2015, 07:31:48 pm »

I got the joke at first when you replied to Seprix, and I thought it was funny. Does that make you less sad?
Is that a rhetorical question, like this is?

Does it matter?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 31, 2015, 07:33:24 pm »
+1

I got the joke at first when you replied to Seprix, and I thought it was funny. Does that make you less sad?

Does it matter?
Well it's a thread for interviewing me. I mean. I'm expected to answer questions. It's the whole premise.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: January 31, 2015, 07:40:07 pm »

Does it matter?
Well it's a thread for interviewing me. I mean. I'm expected to answer questions. It's the whole premise.

Like this one?

EDIT: meh, I am redoing your joke, that IS sad. Still, I think that, technically, the only rhetorical question in this exchange was "does it matter?", because it was the only one that didn't expect an answer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:43:19 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 31, 2015, 08:08:31 pm »
+4

Is the answer to this question no?

What video games do you play?

Do you own any hats?

Favorite books?

Movies?

Favorite carbonated beverage?

If you could send a message to the entire world, what would you say in under 30 words?

Any sports you like?

Star Trek or Star Wars? If you don't want to answer this question for religious reasons, that's cool.

Is it true there is a Hot Air Balloon card in Dominion: Adventures?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:17:44 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 31, 2015, 08:51:51 pm »
+11

Is the answer to this question no?
No, it's "No, it's "No, it's "No it's [...] """

What video games do you play?
I play lots of Wii U games with my kids. Lately the one I want is Pikmin 3 while the one they want is Kirby's Epic Yarn. Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World were top-notch.

I haven't gotten a PC game in a while, I think since Fallout New Vegas (the DLC was way better than the main game). On the PC these days I play quick flash games like Amorphous+, Spectromancer, tower defense, Wordsplay (Boggle).

Do you own any hats?
Yes.

Favorite books?
I'm a big Gene Wolfe fan; try Shadow of the Torturer, or the short stories best-of. Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is top-notch. When people ask for a recommendation my go-to fiction book is The Anubis Gates. It's a real crowd-pleaser.

For "science entertainment" I especially like Jared Diamond's best books - The Third Chimpanzee and Guns Germs & Steel. William Poundstone has some good ones. I liked a couple Pinker books but man I don't need to endlessly hear the different ways people are wrong about blank slates, for chapter after chapter. Just make that point in a paragraph and move on to something else.

Trouser Press Record Guide 4th edition is great. I found a lot of bands from reading that.

Movies?
Brazil, Blue Velvet, Annie Hall, Dr. Strangelove, Miller's Crossing.

Favorite carbonated beverage?
I rarely drink anything carbonated these days; I drink a Snapple once a week, then put water in it from the tap for the rest of the week. I liked Coke better than Pepsi. I like black cherry Thomas Kemper; vanilla Hansens.

If you could send a message to the entire world, what would you say in under 30 words?
Quick, look behind you!

Any sports you like?
Not really. Hockey was the most fun in P.E.

Star Trek or Star Wars?
I like science fiction and they both have that element. To me Star Trek is the TV show with William Shatner, while Star Wars is those two movies everyone loves but which are just fine plus the third one that is worse than you can ever remember. Star Trek was basically original, with a weird focus on powerful children. Star Wars was imitating old serials, and has Dr. Doom as the villain, and the cranes from the Oakland docks as giant war machines. Yoda lives in Bodega Bay, I mean on Dagobah. Also he's a muppet, I don't know if you knew that.

Anyway man. I am not a huge fan of either universe. Star Wars is more of a fantasy in a good way, and, when we narrow our focus as I must, was 2/3 entertaining, whereas Star Trek is just what's on, I mean it's that or Eight Is Enough, which has like no sci-fi element. If you broaden your view to everything, then man, Star Trek is endless shows and movies I haven't seen and can't evaluate, while Star Wars is those two movies and that third one and then those awful awful movies, plus the X-Wing computer game back when, that was fine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: January 31, 2015, 09:43:10 pm »

So since you're a music fan, here are some questions.

Favorite genres?

How do you view classical music?

Music today?

Oasis or Blur? (Entire wars in the UK have been started over this question back in the day)

Beatles or Beach Boys?

Do you like melody and tune or lyrics more in a song?

Favorite song?

Any instruments you play?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »

Can you sing well?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 31, 2015, 10:29:22 pm »
+6

Favorite genres?
Power pop, novelty, prog / arty rock but within reason, showtunes.

As we speak I am listening to a collection (I made) of songs from 1998. The first two tracks were Neutral Milk Hotel and Liz Phair, but what's playing as I type this is Red Elvises - I Wanna See You Bellydance.

My latest purchases were the new Decemberists and Belle & Sebastian albums, both disappointing.

How do you view classical music?
Through a monocle.

Music today?
Get off my lawn.

Oasis or Blur? (Entire wars in the UK have been started over this question back in the day)
I only like maybe two Oasis songs. Blur were good from Modern Life Is Rubbish through The Great Escape, I guess that's just three albums. I only like a few Blur songs since then, but I like some Gorillaz, The Good the Bad and the Queen, and some stuff on the Albarn album. If there's a new Albarn-related album I'll buy it, unless it's another opera; I'm not interested in what Oasis is doing.

However I do really like the Amanda Palmer song Oasis.

Beatles or Beach Boys?
Well for the Beatles I have a stack of albums, plus some John Lennon solo and a pile of Paul McCartney. For the Beach Boys I have Pet Sounds. For Brian Wilson solo I have nothing.

Do you like melody and tune or lyrics more in a song?
Depends on the song. In general while I like clever lyrics, the artists who write the music first have way more longevity. But I don't listen to instrumentals much.

Favorite song?
I used to always say Ana Ng. I don't feel like putting work into getting a more accurate answer.

Any instruments you play?
Not really.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:08 pm »
+6

Can you sing well?
Where are these questions going, what do you guys have planned.

I don't know, probably not. I can sing better than the people around me, but they can't sing, and I've got about as much range as Katharine Hepburn.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 01, 2015, 08:55:30 am »

Yoda lives in Bodega Bay, I mean on Dagobah.

"Attacking me the birds are."
In germany, Scrooge Mc Duck from Duck Tales' name is "Dagobert Duck". I always thought Dagobah had to do with him, though it was REALLY hard to find a connection.

By the way, if your kids like Kirby, i think that "Return to Dreamland / Kirbys Adventure Wii" (depends on region) is a great Kirby game.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:44 am »
+3

In your opinion, is Goko or Isotropic better for playing Dominion?

You can't play Dominion over Isotropic. So, Goko.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53:31 am »
+4

Some people can play Dominion on Isotropic...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1687 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:25 am »

You can't play Dominion on Goko, either. So, Making Fun. (Yes, I will continue to roll my eyes at comments like this).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 01, 2015, 10:31:45 am »

Do you prefer online Dominion (modulo implementation issues) or playing with the physical game in person?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 01, 2015, 10:36:58 am »

You can't play Dominion on Goko, either. So, Making Fun. (Yes, I will continue to roll my eyes at comments like this).
Technically, isn't Making Fun still running Goko Dominion until they get their own version up?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1690 on: February 01, 2015, 10:41:05 am »

Technically, isn't Making Fun still running Goko Dominion until they get their own version up?

How is it "Goko Dominion" in any way?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 01, 2015, 10:57:58 am »
+10

I prefer to call it Making Fun Agility Goko Rio Grande Games Donald X Vaccarino Dominion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »

I prefer to call it Making Fun Agility Goko Rio Grande Games Donald X Vaccarino Dominion.

BY OUR POWERS COMBINED
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 01, 2015, 03:26:44 pm »

Exactly in the way that it's a version of Dominion as was implemented and marketed by Goko, a now defunct company
My opponent has more loot than me

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 01, 2015, 03:45:18 pm »
+1

How could Goko possibly go defunct?  They had all those other games to generate revenue.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: February 01, 2015, 04:09:04 pm »
+3

The Goko logo is right there on the page!

Insisting people call it "Making Fun Dominion" is like insisting that people call Cadbury chocolates "Mondelez chocolates".

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 01, 2015, 07:11:08 pm »
+1

By the way, if your kids like Kirby, i think that "Return to Dreamland / Kirbys Adventure Wii" (depends on region) is a great Kirby game.
Return to Dreamland was fine. I never like the old "the guy you were working for is now the bad guy." But it did work with 3 players. Obv. the giant special forms are hits. But uh it just doesn't compare as a platformer to Rayman Legends or Super Mario 3D World.

The 3DS Kirby game saw some action, but no-one ever finished it. We got the collection of older Kirby games, but only liked the new stuff that was similar to Return to Dreamland. I am sure we will get the upcoming one, though it doesn't look great from the first level, and it looks like either one player or essentially one player.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 01, 2015, 07:18:34 pm »
+6

Obv. it depends on what you're looking for, who you are, what time of day it is even, not even a joke.

Goko's edge over isotropic is graphics and bots. Obv. graphics don't make the difference when the game keeps freezing. You may really want to play against bots though, and isotropic just doesn't have them.

Isotropic's edge is text mode and handling internet/matchmaking well. Text is important when you're at work and don't want people to see a computer game on your screen. That was what I meant by time of day. Internet is important when it's not working for Goko, and matchmaking, that would be an issue if Salvager didn't address it (it does right?).

I imagine for most people, Goko would be better than isotropic if only it had Salvager features and didn't lag/hang/crash/burn/die/wtf.

Me personally, I mostly am playtesting when I play. I can only playtest new cards on isotropic so there you go.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 01, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »
+1

Do you prefer online Dominion (modulo implementation issues) or playing with the physical game in person?
I enjoy physical games more, but online is better for getting playtesting done. The games go faster and are available more often.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 01, 2015, 07:51:08 pm »
+1

If you could talk to any food, and that food could respond, what food would you talk to and what would you say?

(I used this in a job interview once.  Phenomenal answer by the one I hired.)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.