Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2144141 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2800 on: February 18, 2016, 10:33:54 am »
+7

Donald, in the endless lists of outtakes there are some that you liked but that you say you had to cut because they wouldn't appeal to Dominion's estabilished fans. (for instance the Event that attacks every turn, or more Potion cards, in a way). What is your favourite card or mechanic that you chose to cut for such a reason?
It's not exactly like that. The things that established fans won't like, probably some playtesters didn't like either. So for example, when I said that established fans wouldn't appreciate an Event attacking them every turn, I meant it, but we didn't like it either.

If I liked a card but it somehow didn't go over well, I may have tried it again later. I thought "play a treasure twice" sounded nice; we never bought it, it died; there it is in Dark Ages, fixed up.

Some things were fun but not in a lasting way. I think fans wouldn't appreciate "go through your deck and play all the attacks," but we got sick of it too. It's the kind of thing I'd be happy with if it were a 3-card combo instead of a single card; it's fun the first time.

There are a couple cards I felt like casual players would like, but which died because playtesters didn't (and I could have some other card, you always have to compare the other card you could have instead). Treasure Hunter was an example until it made it out; in the league commentary I cited that Explorer-like thing from Adventures.

Things I think fans tend to like less than me and playtesters:
- attacks (Witch)
- cards perceived to be attacks though they aren't (Tribute)
- cards that let you imagine screwing yourself over (Lookout)
- slow to resolve cards (Philosopher's Stone)
- strictly better cards, or cards perceived to be strictly better (Noble Brigand)
- cards they perceive to be broken but which aren't (Hireling)

So okay, I can't pick out a favorite because that would be endless work studying the files. But for example, there was +$2, name a type, reveal cards until one with that type, discard the rest and put that one on top. It was slow to resolve, strictly better than Chancellor (you name a type not in your deck) but didn't want to cost $4. We liked it but it didn't happen.

Dark Ages had another Knight-family attack, that some of us were fond of. When theory/rrenaud/Cap'n Frisk showed up to playtest briefly, they were aghast at the multiple cards that could eat Duchies. I ended up deciding, maybe just Knight and Rogue (which rarely gets a shot at Duchies).

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: February 18, 2016, 02:29:41 pm »
+8

- attacks (Witch)
- strictly better cards, or cards perceived to be strictly better (Noble Brigand)

You could make an argument for pirate ship being in basically all of these categories.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: February 18, 2016, 03:50:25 pm »
+1

- attacks (Witch)

You could make an argument for pirate ship being in basically all of these categories.

And yet somehow, a lot of people like Pirate Ship (at least newer players do).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: February 22, 2016, 11:38:24 am »
+2

How has the game design process changed for you as you have become more successful?

For instance, do you still mostly pitch games or expansions as you think of them to publishers? Or are you asked or commissioned by publishers for particular types of games or expansions?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:55 pm »
+9

How has the game design process changed for you as you have become more successful?

For instance, do you still mostly pitch games or expansions as you think of them to publishers? Or are you asked or commissioned by publishers for particular types of games or expansions?
I mostly just work on Dominion expansions. No pitching happens. If nothing's been happening, Jay will say, do I have more Dominion stuff? Or something else?

Companies have asked me to show them something. That has gone okay; some of those companies took a game. There was a period where I was pitching games to companies, sending them around. That did not go so well, after starting with a bang.

How did these games get published?
- Dominion, Monster Factory - pitched to RGG at Origins
- Temporum - RGG said, what are you working on? And then wanted it.
- Nefarious - ran into Scott at the GoF, after a few rejections from other companies; then Mosigra/Magellan got it due to pestering me to get to make a Russian version when Scott went awol
- Infiltration - FFG asked me to show them some games
- Kingdom Builder - Queen asked me to show them something
- Greed - Queen found out I had another company looking at this, and wanted it
- Pina Pirata - IELLO asked me to show them some games
- Gauntlet of Fools - Travis was part of the local scene, and was playing it before I was done with it

Some entities have asked for something specific, but nothing has happened there.
- 999 Games wanted a game that simulated being in the Dutch army during peacetime. I never had much of a grip on what you'd be doing.
- FFG wanted me to do a deckbuilding game for them. I would have needed a pitch that sounded good to them but which RGG didn't want. They were too busy for pitches.
- BGG wanted micro games, to try to get into the micro game business. I didn't really have one but offered them something at least kind of small. They liked it but decided against it. I had another thing to potentially offer them but it required work I never put into it.
- An Italian company wanted something along certain lines, I thought I had a reasonable match, they did not want it
- Travis wanted a dice game along the lines of Cosmic Wimpout. I came up with some directions that weren't much like that, and maybe I will still pursue those someday.

The expansions, well for Dominion they knew I had a pile of them, then HiG asked for a small one, then after Guilds one day I said "I'm working on a new one" and what were the odds, RGG was interested. For Kingdom Builder I made a large one because there was stuff to do and it seemed likely that they'd want it. Then they wanted it split into two, then I was done but the SdJ made them say, more expansions please. Who knows, those may come out after all.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: February 22, 2016, 07:32:43 pm »
+1

When did you start frequenting this forum? What gave you the impulse to do so and start replying to stuff people write?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »
+19

When did you start frequenting this forum? What gave you the impulse to do so and start replying to stuff people write?
I've been here since the beginning dude; just sort the members list by "date registered." theory and rrenaud joined 6 days earlier, but I was here the day they opened the doors.

I thought, some forums about my game, I will hang out there.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: February 22, 2016, 10:28:10 pm »
+1

I've been here since the beginning dude; just sort the members list by "date registered." theory and rrenaud joined 6 days earlier, but I was here the day they opened the doors.

If I make another forum about your game, will you hang out there?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: February 23, 2016, 12:05:48 am »

Do you ever try to build deliberately cwazy sets of cards when playtesting? For example, do you deliberately test most cards against King's Court, or check how well the new cards combo with Scout?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: February 23, 2016, 01:44:07 am »
+3

Well, I might try it out, see how I liked it.

There are German forums but I don't speak German and they don't get much traffic. There's the reddit; sometimes I flirt with replying to something, but it has yet to happen. I'm on BGG. And I'm here. And I mean, those are really the places so far.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:48 am »
+2

Do you ever try to build deliberately cwazy sets of cards when playtesting? For example, do you deliberately test most cards against King's Court
King's Court testing happened as part of Prosperity; there's no special reason to test each new card with King's Court.

I do sometimes test particular combos though. Something will be obviously better with whatever category of cards, and so I try that out.

Sometimes I try a gimmicky set. That's just for fun though, it's not so much getting work done. Focused testing on a card tends to be, play that specific card, plus random cards. See it in different situations, the classic way.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: February 23, 2016, 03:35:42 am »

At least the reserve cards (maybe save Wine Merchant) don't cost you too much sleep wrt King's Court interaction.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:06 am »

You should make a forum game here that he could hang out in and immediately be lynched day1 for acti-lurking

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: February 23, 2016, 09:28:29 am »
+1

Will we also get something like this again? http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12811.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: February 23, 2016, 11:44:19 am »
+13

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: February 23, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »
+4

Give me tips on how to get 10,000 respect

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: February 23, 2016, 10:57:58 pm »
+1

Write a bible of Limetime. Also design a game and join a forum dedicated to that game. Also that wasn't a question.  :o
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: February 23, 2016, 10:59:13 pm »

Write a bible of Limetime. Also design a game and join a forum dedicated to that game. Also that wasn't a question.  :o
Or a "interview with limetime"

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: February 24, 2016, 12:09:17 am »

How do you feel about the name of the "Blue Dog Rule", and the way it came to be? If you could give it a name today, what would it be?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: February 24, 2016, 01:43:15 am »
+16

How do you feel about the name of the "Blue Dog Rule", and the way it came to be? If you could give it a name today, what would it be?
I can give it a name today. And then I'd have power of it, like in A Wizard of Earthsea. But I choose to let it run free, nameless. Call it whatever you want; it won't come.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: February 24, 2016, 01:46:02 am »
+1

Where did you go to college (if you did)? Did you major in anything relevant to game design?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: February 24, 2016, 09:50:00 am »
+1

I can give it a name today. And then I'd have power of it, like in A Wizard of Earthsea. But I choose to let it run free, nameless. Call it whatever you want; it won't come.

Or like in The Name of the Wind

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: February 24, 2016, 12:05:02 pm »
+22

- Write what you know. But don't write about writing. If that's what you know, you're in trouble.
- Believe in yourself. If you're fictional, try breaking the 4th wall. There's gotta be a way out.
- The real respect was inside you the whole time!
- Pick different units. Why you're already well over 2000 in dog-respect.
- Have you tried socking it to anyone?
- Get 9999 respect, and then just make one more good post.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:34 pm »
+4

Make 10,000 posts, then make an alt account to upvote each one of your posts.  Or 5,000 and two alt accounts, or whatever partition works for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: February 24, 2016, 12:10:15 pm »
+13

Also, Donald earned 13 respect for typing just, "I think so."  Maybe try responding to everything with "I think so."
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.235 seconds with 20 queries.