Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2144310 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2625 on: January 27, 2016, 08:04:34 pm »
+1

I would read a book by Donald X., and I would be more excited for it if I knew that it wasn't Dominion themed. My stupid fanfiction aside, Dominion doesn't have a coherent story or a fleshed-out world behind it. A Dominion novel would just be a story set in a generic medieval fantasy world with a few Dominion references thrown in.
Thanks; I haven't managed a book, but have some very short stories and then 3.8 screenplays. The Hinterlands blurb paraphrases a joke in my Airplane!-style comedy. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..."

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:07 pm »

Which other game captures the essence of Dominion best without being a total ripoff?

I.e.: you can actually admire what someone did with the deckbuilding idea.
Those are not the same question.

I haven't played any Dominion-based games except my own. In interviews I always cite Eminent Domain and A Few Acres of Snow as examples of how you can be inspired by Dominion without just cloning it, but I haven't actually played those games.

Eminent Domain is 7--10% Dominion and 90--93% Race for the Galaxy.

Fixed that for you...

It's more Dominion than people think.
that seems like a thing that you would say
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:39 pm »

I would read a book by Donald X., and I would be more excited for it if I knew that it wasn't Dominion themed. My stupid fanfiction aside, Dominion doesn't have a coherent story or a fleshed-out world behind it. A Dominion novel would just be a story set in a generic medieval fantasy world with a few Dominion references thrown in.
Thanks; I haven't managed a book, but have some very short stories and then 3.8 screenplays. The Hinterlands blurb paraphrases a joke in my Airplane!-style comedy. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..."

Are any of your short stories published?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:11 pm »
+4

Are any of your short stories published?
No, board game blurbs are all I have to my name, writing-wise. I've considered posting a story or excerpt from the funny screenplay, but who knows, maybe I will try to get some of that stuff published/filmed someday, and then too there's the lack of a connection, I mean people selected for "likes Dominion" are not selected for "likes my writing."

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 28, 2016, 09:31:27 am »

Which other game captures the essence of Dominion best without being a total ripoff?

I haven't played any Dominion-based games except my own. In interviews I always cite Eminent Domain and A Few Acres of Snow as examples of how you can be inspired by Dominion without just cloning it, but I haven't actually played those games.

Eminent Domain is 10% Dominion and 90% Race for the Galaxy.

Nah, it's more like 70% Dominion/30% Race.
I think the strongest Influence on Eminent Domain is Glory to Rome by far.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: January 30, 2016, 01:44:20 am »
+2

You're in a plane that's crashing near a desert island, and you only have time to grab one Dominion set before leaping out with your parachute.  Which one do you bring?  Assume you keep a spare box of Basic cards in your pocket at all times.  Also assume that stopping to grab a box will not in any way endanger anyone else, or result in some indirect way in you all starving to death.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: January 30, 2016, 02:04:13 am »

Eminent Domain is 10% Dominion and 90% Race for the Galaxy.

Nah, it's more like 70% Dominion/30% Race.
I think the strongest Influence on Eminent Domain is Glory to Rome by far.

I shall have to try GTR then.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: January 30, 2016, 02:32:09 am »
+10

You're in a plane that's crashing near a desert island, and you only have time to grab one Dominion set before leaping out with your parachute.  Which one do you bring?  Assume you keep a spare box of Basic cards in your pocket at all times.  Also assume that stopping to grab a box will not in any way endanger anyone else, or result in some indirect way in you all starving to death.
Oh man, who leaked that there was an upcoming expansion with edible cards?

In a desert island scenario I would just be concerned about survival. If I survive I will find ways to play games. So the question then is, which is worth more towards surviving: more cards, or metal tokens? I bet the tokens are not actually that useful, but then cards are unlikely to be useful either. The tokens at least give me something different that might be useful, so okay, whichever set has more metal tokens. Without checking, I don't know if that's Seaside or Prosperity (my experience is with the prototypes, and I just have a box of tokens for use with many games).

My favorite sets are Dark Ages and Adventures. It's hard to compare them fairly because Adventures is newer and there's that gulf in time between them.

If I am just playing one set by itself with Base Cards, then Adventures has fewer kingdom cards but more variety, due to Events, so that gives it the edge.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: January 30, 2016, 05:36:44 pm »
+5

In a desert island scenario I would just be concerned about survival. If I survive I will find ways to play games. So the question then is, which is worth more towards surviving: more cards, or metal tokens? I bet the tokens are not actually that useful, but then cards are unlikely to be useful either. The tokens at least give me something different that might be useful, so okay, whichever set has more metal tokens. Without checking, I don't know if that's Seaside or Prosperity (my experience is with the prototypes, and I just have a box of tokens for use with many games).

I'm just imagining you thinking, "I want to say Empires but it isn't announced yet."
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: January 30, 2016, 05:41:51 pm »

I'm just imagining you thinking, "I want to say Empires but it isn't announced yet."

But Adventures does have more cards.  With 300 cards, Empires will probably have the normal 25/26 Kingdom cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: January 30, 2016, 05:43:42 pm »
+1

But Adventures does have more cards.  With 300 cards, Empires will probably have the normal 25/26 Kingdom cards.

Sure, but Empires has more metal tokens.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: January 30, 2016, 05:49:50 pm »

Sure, but Empires has more metal tokens.

I'm sure he could fashion a crude slingshot and use the tokens as ammo.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: January 30, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »

Did... did you guys just spoil a new set?

Not that i'm surprised. I'm just wondering: Will a new set finally introduce meeples, player powers, ressources and a catapult to shoot stuff at the supply?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: January 30, 2016, 06:56:40 pm »
+5

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: January 30, 2016, 07:28:57 pm »
+4

Now that the new set is announced, how many times in do you think you're going to have to put up with people asking you to spoil it in this thread?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: January 30, 2016, 07:32:24 pm »
+3

Now that the new set is announced, how many times in do you think you're going to have to put up with people asking you to spoil it in this thread?
This is you asking me to spoil it, isn't it. Oh man. Et tu, ADK?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: January 30, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »

Naw I've seen it.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: January 30, 2016, 07:59:41 pm »
+1

Naw I've seen it.
Ah, so you're that "ADK" guy Voltaire always mentions.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: January 30, 2016, 08:16:36 pm »

Did... did you guys just spoil a new set?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/192951/dominion-empires

...Uwaaaaaaahhhhh! B-but I've barely played Adventures yet!

Oh, I remember looking up the word for a medieval food taster a while back. I found "Assayer", probably derived from the French word "essayer" (to try).

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2644 on: January 30, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »

Who helped you playtest Empires? Have you been working on this since Adventures released?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: January 30, 2016, 08:36:54 pm »
+2

Who helped you playtest Empires? Have you been working on this since Adventures released?
There was some time in-between Adventures ending and Empires starting.

It's a lot of the same people as last time. A couple people dropped out and a couple were added. Including Voltaire, I forgot that he was new.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: January 30, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »

Will the playtesters be allowed to preview cards against like last time? :)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: January 30, 2016, 09:20:53 pm »

Will the playtesters be allowed to preview cards against like last time? :)
My plan is to have 5 other people preview a card each, like last time. Last time they were not all playtesters and I don't know about this time yet.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: January 30, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »

Is it mostly done, just waiting on art and tinkering with the rulebook?  Or are you still hardcore testing cards?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: January 30, 2016, 10:42:36 pm »
+1

Is it mostly done, just waiting on art and tinkering with the rulebook?  Or are you still hardcore testing cards?
It's done from my end except for proofreading cards once the layout is done. I've done some of that but not all of it. And I haven't written the previews yet.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.302 seconds with 20 queries.