Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2148052 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2300 on: June 06, 2015, 12:21:47 am »
+2

Have you noticed f.ds people incorporating some of your speech mannerisms to their own posts? Does that bother you / amuse you / leave you completely indifferent?

I made a thread about this a long time ago: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1175
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: June 06, 2015, 05:55:55 am »
+5

Have you noticed f.ds people incorporating some of your speech mannerisms to their own posts? Does that bother you / amuse you / leave you completely indifferent?
I don't really notice; what I say just feels normal to me. "Man" is singled out in the linked thread and well I didn't come up with that you know. Or saying "you know" at the end of a sentence. The semicolons might be me. I picked up some surfer slang at some point; really what language doesn't benefit from casual honorifics. I probably lean on 2nd person more than most people; I also like choose-your-own-adventures and the Gene Wolfe story The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories. I might type more conversationally than most people. I edit. Anyway no.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2302 on: June 06, 2015, 10:23:51 am »
+1

They say that people who sit at a table with Bill Gates start mimicking his odd swinging motions he does while sitting. Donald X is the Bill Gates of the board game community.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: June 06, 2015, 10:59:33 am »

I am soooooo guilty of this, especially recently. I just feel it makes talking about cards (or things in general) easier if i don't have to stay completely with what written language allows.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: June 06, 2015, 11:03:47 am »

They say that people who sit at a table with Bill Gates start mimicking his odd swinging motions he does while sitting. Donald X is the Bill Gates of the board game community.

Then who is Steve Jobs?

Probably someone who was great at Dominion but quit.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: June 06, 2015, 02:34:51 pm »
+2

I don't really notice; what I say just feels normal to me. "Man" is singled out in the linked thread and well I didn't come up with that you know. Or saying "you know" at the end of a sentence. The semicolons might be me. I picked up some surfer slang at some point; really what language doesn't benefit from casual honorifics. I probably lean on 2nd person more than most people; I also like choose-your-own-adventures and the Gene Wolfe story The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories. I might type more conversationally than most people. I edit. Anyway no.
I had hoped it would please you, to hear this.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: June 06, 2015, 02:53:37 pm »
+8

I thought it would please him, but you know, threads have to be read, Jay wants more games, and from time to time a man's got to live; so yeah, where should all the time spent on noticing come from? A time bag i stored in Donald's basement? I mean, sure, a time bag would be nice, but man, he wouldn't have to do boardgames if he had one of those, and either way it's nice that he does, so no more questions about speech patterns or time bags. Seriously, why would anyone want to talk about time bags?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: June 06, 2015, 03:11:19 pm »
+2

I thought it would please him but you know threads have to be read, Jay wants more games and well a man's got to live; so yeah where should all the time spent on noticing come from. A time bag i stored in Donald's basement? I mean huh sure a time bag would be nice but man he wouldn't have to do boardgames if he had one of those and either way it's nice that he does so no more questions about speech patterns or time bags seriously why would anyone want to talk about time bags.

FTFY.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:30:07 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: June 06, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »

Obv.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: June 06, 2015, 03:52:55 pm »
+1

How do you pronounce "obv." in your head?  I say "obb-vee".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: June 06, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »
+2

I pronounce it "obviously".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2311 on: June 06, 2015, 04:33:51 pm »
+3

I pronounce it like "obviously" but without the "iously".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 06, 2015, 04:59:48 pm »
+7

Well it's nice to be a mover and shaker, a dreamer of dreams. From my perspective though, someone else was saying "man" and I picked it up from them. You're all copying whoever that was. I did get to pick a package; when I started saying "dude" I didn't also pick up "righteous."

In the past I have had more unusual language. There was a period where I thought it was funny to switch the order of words in certain cases - "youngness is the night's" rather than "the night is young." I said "yorpness" in place of conversational nothings - "Hi, how are you?" "Yorpness." That somehow caught on with one other guy. There was no question that he was copying someone else, I was having an effect there. In place of "how are you" these days I say "how's every little thing." I feel like it suggests that I actually care, due to not being the usual idiom; the same way that Sarah Silverman saying "what the cock is that shit" is more vulgar than "what the fuck is that shit." I got "how's every little thing" from Bugs Bunny.

Instead of "fine" or whatever I used to make up surreal answers to "how are you," then reuse the best ones. "I feel like one of a set of identical triplets, after the other two commit suicide." "You know that sudden destructive change in perspective that sometimes occurs when you're looking at a drawing of a vase, and it transforms itself into the silhouettes of two hideous heads? I feel like that." Some of them are long, a little story. After one of those the punch line is, "and how are you?"

The wiki says I'm known for my unique language and well, it's great that sometimes in life you can distinguish yourself effortlessly. I mean what am I saying, sometimes I labor over posts, but stuff like "I mean what am I saying" just comes out on the first try. I do like to think of myself as a writer; I've written 3.8 screenplays, some songs, and a short story for each song title on Bee Thousand. And hey all those blurbs.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 06, 2015, 05:01:41 pm »
+1

I pronounce it like "obviously" but without the "iously".
That is what I do.

"Obv." can't be that exotic; man, which internet is this.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: June 06, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »
+8

I thought it would please him but you know threads have to be read, Jay wants more games and well a man's got to live; so yeah where should all the time spent on noticing come from. A time bag i stored in Donald's basement? I mean huh sure a time bag would be nice but man he wouldn't have to do boardgames if he had one of those and either way it's nice that he does so no more questions about speech patterns or time bags seriously why would anyone want to talk about time bags.

FTFY.
It's "uh" not "huh." See how little effect I'm actually having.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2315 on: June 06, 2015, 05:18:31 pm »

I'm going to guess "Kicker of Elves" has the best story, but I may be reaching.  Can you confirm this?
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 06, 2015, 05:31:40 pm »

Banning cards makes no sense. It's not Magic. If your group doesn't like Rebuild, don't play with it. If you are running a tournament, you can leave out Rebuild if you want. When I am called on to make lists of cards for tournaments, I leave out several cards, mainly ones that slow down play, like Spy.
What if "your group" is the rated online community, or some other group where "if your group doesn't like X, don't play with it" isn't feasible?  I have to imagine that pretty much anyone who asks you about banning cards must play most of their games in a group like that.  If they didn't, then "don't play with cards you dislike" is just the obvious answer (not to mention you've said it many times on these forums). 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 06, 2015, 07:32:34 pm »

In the past I have had more unusual language. There was a period where I thought it was funny to switch the order of words in certain cases - "youngness is the night's" rather than "the night is young." I said "yorpness" in place of conversational nothings - "Hi, how are you?" "Yorpness." That somehow caught on with one other guy. There was no question that he was copying someone else, I was having an effect there. In place of "how are you" these days I say "how's every little thing." I feel like it suggests that I actually care, due to not being the usual idiom; the same way that Sarah Silverman saying "what the cock is that shit" is more vulgar than "what the fuck is that shit." I got "how's every little thing" from Bugs Bunny.

Do you actually care?

Also, does "yorpness" have an etymology or was it just a random sound that seemed to fit?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 07, 2015, 01:37:43 am »

I'm going to guess "Kicker of Elves" has the best story, but I may be reaching.  Can you confirm this?
It does not. I like You're Not an Airplane best, then Smothered in Hugs. Kicker of Elves is one of the worst ones, with Yours to Keep and A Big Fan of the Bigpen. If I were considering submitting it somewhere I would write new ones for those three.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 07, 2015, 01:42:09 am »
+2

Banning cards makes no sense. It's not Magic. If your group doesn't like Rebuild, don't play with it. If you are running a tournament, you can leave out Rebuild if you want. When I am called on to make lists of cards for tournaments, I leave out several cards, mainly ones that slow down play, like Spy.
What if "your group" is the rated online community, or some other group where "if your group doesn't like X, don't play with it" isn't feasible?  I have to imagine that pretty much anyone who asks you about banning cards must play most of their games in a group like that.  If they didn't, then "don't play with cards you dislike" is just the obvious answer (not to mention you've said it many times on these forums).
Well the online ratings have to be what the people who like online ratings want out of them. I personally would allow a small list of banned cards. It has to be small so there's no ability to tailor supposedly random kingdoms with it. But I mean, if you don't like Rebuild and your opponent doesn't like Rebuild then you shouldn't have to play with it online just to get into the ratings. That's gotta make the most sense for MF too; you can just not buy Dark Ages and for sure we don't want to encourage that.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 07, 2015, 01:51:43 am »
+3

Do you actually care?

Also, does "yorpness" have an etymology or was it just a random sound that seemed to fit?
If I ask then I care! If I don't care, I don't think of saying "how are you" or whatever.

Yorpness is just some random nonsense. Here it is in use: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/431527/real-dominion-designer-and-secret-unlocking-myster

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 07, 2015, 06:38:46 am »
+1

This thread is now for calculating your Donald X. number. My Donald X. number is 0. Your Donald X. number is 1 plus the smallest Donald X. number among people you've played games with. Only games played irl count - I don't want people trying to set up online games with me or my friends in order to get low numbers.

How is this less well known than the Erdős and Bacon numbers?

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: June 07, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »

Well the online ratings have to be what the people who like online ratings want out of them. I personally would allow a small list of banned cards. It has to be small so there's no ability to tailor supposedly random kingdoms with it. But I mean, if you don't like Rebuild and your opponent doesn't like Rebuild then you shouldn't have to play with it online just to get into the ratings. That's gotta make the most sense for MF too; you can just not buy Dark Ages and for sure we don't want to encourage that.
I'd allow the ban list too but that topic always seems to get contentious around here... since you mentioned Magic, I guess the obvious followup question is how you think the small amount of player control from a personal ban list compares with the curated ban list that WotC uses for Magic? 

Do you think a curated approach could work for an online spinoff of Dominion?  Like if MF said they want to charge players $X per month, and in return provide periodic updates with new cards and sometimes changes to old ones?  I guess that's maybe closer to Hearthstone than Magic, but anyway would you allow something like that to happen?  Be willing to work on it? 

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 07, 2015, 05:40:14 pm »

I'd allow the ban list too but that topic always seems to get contentious around here... since you mentioned Magic, I guess the obvious followup question is how you think the small amount of player control from a personal ban list compares with the curated ban list that WotC uses for Magic? 

Do you think a curated approach could work for an online spinoff of Dominion?  Like if MF said they want to charge players $X per month, and in return provide periodic updates with new cards and sometimes changes to old ones?  I guess that's maybe closer to Hearthstone than Magic, but anyway would you allow something like that to happen?  Be willing to work on it?

I'd rather the game not change at all, that way the boardgame is consistent with the online implementation, but maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: June 07, 2015, 05:47:54 pm »

I'd rather the game not change at all, that way the boardgame is consistent with the online implementation, but maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.
You're certainly not the only one.  In fact Donald has said he'd rather not have the online and paper games diverge, which is why I phrased the question as "online spinoff of Dominion" instead of "online implementation."  For what it's worth I already consider the online game a spinoff.  For one thing online games are almost always two players, but IRL for me is more often four.  That changes the game a ton, and there's other aspects of online play that make it feel like a different game to me. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:49:58 pm by theblankman »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.35 seconds with 20 queries.