Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2147519 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1825 on: February 09, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »

So what cards do the bottom 3 mats come from?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: February 09, 2015, 10:25:52 pm »
+1

I do not understand your question. All six on the right are mats for Victory tokens. None of them is card-specific. About the cards on the left, i have no clue. The Trade Route mat in germany shows the Trade Route art, a giant coin symbol and a descriptive text how the mat is used.

By the way, there are 8 VP mats in the german version of Prosperity, too. I guess the reason why there are eight is that this way, you can play with whatever mat you find the most appealing. Personally, i like to "be" the alchemist :)

Edit: Ah, i guess you are talking about those on the left. Pretty sure they are box art. The tree thing is from Prosperity, and the left one might be is from base.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:29:27 pm by Asper »

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: February 09, 2015, 10:26:45 pm »
+2

I've never seen the thing on the right, but I own the ones on the left, and there are 8. I don't know why.

Actually, I do know why (read: I have a guess). There is also the trade route mat. There need to be at least 6, one for each player, but 7 is prime, eww. Might as well make there 8 mats so the mats fit nicely in a 3x3 cardboard punch-out.

Adventures apparently only has 6 mats though.  What would the rest of the cardboard be for then? :P

The ones on the right look like Dominion art.  Middle left is from the Prosperity box, bottom left is Alchemy, bottom right is Seaside.

Actually, the top two on the image on the left are also from Prosperity/Seaside, matching the ones in the right image.  Huh.  The one in the middle is from the Intrigue box and bottom left looks like base.  Middle right is Vineyards.  Middle left looks like a different section of the Seaside box.

Can anybody identify what all the other images are from?

Adventures doesn't have a lone Trade Route map bumping up the number, though, so it can go with 2x3. Prosperity couldn't; that'd mean one Trade Route and five VP mats.

How did Seaside handle the mats thing? The only physical copy I've seen is missing them.

The Seaside mats are much larger than the Prosperity mats.
They are tall and skinny, fitting only two down and three across in the box.
So there are actually three sheets of cardboard to punch out the eighteen mats.

Does that make sense?

Here's a picture of two of them that shows the scale:

That's also presumably why they are likely missing from the set you've played.
I can understand not wanting to pack them, they are kind of huge.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:29:33 pm by jaketheyak »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:41 pm »

Edit: Ah, i guess you are talking about those on the left. Pretty sure they are box art. The tree thing is from Prosperity, and the left one might be is from base.

Yes, that's what I meant.  And whoops, I actually did identify the left as Base and the middle as another Prosperity image, but I may have forgotten to mention it and then forgotten I'd figured that out at all.  But I definitely didn't figure out the bottom right.

Edit: Why not just use one mat for the Seaside cards?  Island cards and Native Village cards can be kept separate by the fact that the former are face up and the latter are face down.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:38:57 pm by eHalcyon »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: February 09, 2015, 10:59:02 pm »
+1

Here is a graph of how popular it is (taken from here).

I looked up the same thing. The interesting thing to me was that it was very close to cracking top 500 for girls circa 1930

The majority of the "Donald" girls are probably the result of typos—boys named Donald for whom someone accidentally checked the wrong box somewhere along the data-entry chain.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »

Here is a graph of how popular it is (taken from here).

I looked up the same thing. The interesting thing to me was that it was very close to cracking top 500 for girls circa 1930

The majority of the "Donald" girls are probably the result of typos—boys named Donald for whom someone accidentally checked the wrong box somewhere along the data-entry chain.

I'm assuming this data is from the same source as on this page, which means it is from the US Social Security Administration.
So, basically, these are officially registered births.
I actually have a much harder time believing that, in 1930, 174 parents accidentally registered their son Donald as female and never corrected the error, than if 174 parents had just decided that Donald was a perfectly fine name for a girl.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 09, 2015, 11:20:08 pm »
+2

Or other typos, like girls who are actually named Donalda or Dinald or Ronald.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 09, 2015, 11:45:55 pm »
+3

I'm assuming this data is from the same source as on this page, which means it is from the US Social Security Administration.
So, basically, these are officially registered births.
I actually have a much harder time believing that, in 1930, 174 parents accidentally registered their son Donald as female and never corrected the error, than if 174 parents had just decided that Donald was a perfectly fine name for a girl.

The Social Security Administration's info page on name data says "Name data are not edited. For example, the sex associated with a name may be incorrect."

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 09, 2015, 11:50:18 pm »
+3

(Also:

1. This data doesn't allow parents opportunities to "correct the error". It's just what was filled out on the initial forms, dumped into a database. If people "registered their son Donald as female" and did correct the error, that wouldn't make it into the name file.

2. The Social Security Administration didn't yet exist in 1930, so the 1930 data isn't about how "parents registered their son" in 1930 anyway.)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 09, 2015, 11:54:44 pm »
+1

I would say it's fairly uncommon.  I'm 55 and I've only known one other person that went by Donald.  Everyone else shortens it to Don, or their legal name is just Don, not Donald.

Obviously, it's me, right?

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 10, 2015, 12:10:37 am »

(Also:

1. This data doesn't allow parents opportunities to "correct the error". It's just what was filled out on the initial forms, dumped into a database. If people "registered their son Donald as female" and did correct the error, that wouldn't make it into the name file.

2. The Social Security Administration didn't yet exist in 1930, so the 1930 data isn't about how "parents registered their son" in 1930 anyway.)

That's interesting. I guess the point is that the name file is supposed to be a completely anonymous data dump, so if the details on your child's birth registration is later amended, there is no identifying info in the name file to allow a correction to be made.

I stand corrected, typos seem the obvious source of female Donalds. Especially as it correlates perfectly with peak popularity of the name for boys.

I would say it's fairly uncommon.  I'm 55 and I've only known one other person that went by Donald.  Everyone else shortens it to Don, or their legal name is just Don, not Donald.

You're not Donald Glover by any chance, are you?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:11:42 am by jaketheyak »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 10, 2015, 12:42:50 am »
+1

Edit: Why not just use one mat for the Seaside cards?  Island cards and Native Village cards can be kept separate by the fact that the former are face up and the latter are face down.
I don't think anyone proposed that so there you go. Possibly someone thought of it and rejected it without telling me though. I had cards for Native Village and Pirate Ship mats, and nothing for Island, I just used the first Island set aside.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 10, 2015, 01:25:35 am »
+3

I think the best song title I've heard so far is: I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 10, 2015, 01:29:44 am »

I think the best song title I've heard so far is: I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard.

By the same band, "If I cut my hair, Hawaii will sink"

In fact, that band seems to exclusively have long titles for their songs.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:12 am »

By the same band, "If I cut my hair, Hawaii will sink"

In fact, that band seems to exclusively have long titles for their songs.

Looking at their discography, I'd say that their titles are longer on average than most bands, but not exclusively long. I think a close second favorite title of theirs is: The Undertaker's Thirst for Revenge is Unquenchable (The Final Battle)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 10, 2015, 01:41:25 am »

Actual song. Not a huge fan of it, but I appreciate that they tried something different.

Do you like weird song titles, Donald?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: February 10, 2015, 02:04:02 am »
+1

Do you like weird song titles, Donald?
Man. I like good song titles. Weird or not. Weird stands out, that's a thing about weirdness. That long Sufjan Stevens title was awful; Chicago was a much better song title on that album (and a much better song). But there isn't as much to say about the short normal title.

Robert Pollard was asked in an interview once, that age-old question: which do you write first, the music or the lyrics. He said, "the titles." He would make a track listing for an album and then write songs for the titles. For Bee Thousand, he went through a yearbook, assigned band names to group photos in it - as if they were pictures of rock bands - and then wrote songs for those bands.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 10, 2015, 04:12:32 am »
+1

The Seaside mats are much larger than the Prosperity mats.
They are tall and skinny, fitting only two down and three across in the box.
So there are actually three sheets of cardboard to punch out the eighteen mats
So the adventures mats will be seaside sized

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 10, 2015, 04:41:36 am »

Now I want to hear a cover of Sufjan Stevens' "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!" by Tim and Sam's Tim and the Sam Band with Tim and Sam.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: February 10, 2015, 08:46:02 am »

Do I know you?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: February 15, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »
+2

Prosperity Box - Seaside Box
Seaside Box - Intrigue Box - Vineyard
Dominion Instructions - Prosperity Box - Dominion Instructions
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: February 21, 2015, 04:19:16 pm »

Is the posted Adventures release date of April 8 an accurate announcement of the current plans?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 21, 2015, 06:54:16 pm »
+3

Is the posted Adventures release date of April 8 an accurate announcement of the current plans?
I don't have any more information than you. My reasoning would be, why would Jay put up that date now without expecting it to be accurate?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #1848 on: February 21, 2015, 06:58:13 pm »

I don't have any more information than you. My reasoning would be, why would Jay put up that date now without expecting it to be accurate?

I think he may be asking because the same page is displaying a March 31 release date for Temporum.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 21, 2015, 07:09:33 pm »
+5

I think he may be asking because the same page is displaying a March 31 release date for Temporum.

Well that one at least is easy to explain.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.