Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Christmas wishlist help  (Read 8686 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Christmas wishlist help
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:11 pm »
+1

My parents hate video games and think mtg is the devil, so I'm having trouble making a christmas wishlist this year.  Help me figure out the best thing to get -besides- Dominion: Dark Ages (I have trouble keeping people playing Dominion log enough to justify that expansion, so I definitely can't buy yet another expansion too)

Some details:
I like Dominion, MTG, and anything with strategy.  I even have a reasonably high tolerance for luck, as long as their is still plenty of strategy.  I dislike politics quite a bit.  I would rather lose a game to luck instead of politics (like, no one will play if I get a game where I win every time, and I would much rather lose games because I'm playing a variant boardgame rather than my family ganging up on me). 

In spite of my disdain for politics, I have managed to upgrade my extended family from Monopoly to Settlers of Catan, which is a great improvement.  Unfortunately, the game is so narrow sometimes there isn't even anything to strategize about besides politicking and pokerfacing that I'm not into, forming alliances and ripping people off in trades and whatnot.  Nonetheless, we play it over and over again, because my brother likes it and he is resistant to learning the rules of a new game (he only learned Catan because he lost a bet, then he got hooked).

I got Seafarers of Catan to improve our experience, it was a bit of a disappointment though.  Definitely not a total loss though, everyone loves Fog Island.  Does anyone know whether Cities and Knights is a good idea?  From what I've heard, it's a good expansion that adds plenty of strategy, but I'm worried the lack of emphasis on politics will make everyone just prefer to play seafarers or default catan instead.  Does it add some fun factor too that will get people playing it?

Of course, if I could get the whole family playing a different game that I enjoy more that would be awesome. 
My little brother refuses to learn Dominion, but my mother played it and likes it and my cousin played it and likes it ok too, though I can tell it's not her favorite game she's ever played, she just likes to spend time with me anyhow she can.  My mother and cousin will try anything once, though my mother can't handle too much complexity. 

My mom hates anything dark or demonic, by the way - she even refuses to play with Witch and Ill-gotten gains... and she complains about the art in Haggler because he "looks scary" (lol).  So something like Betrayal at the House on the Hill is out. 

Smallworld I've played before, it's probably a bit too hard for my family. 

I tried to look for co-op games because that genre interests me, but I didn't find any that appeal to me.  Time limits seem too stressful for board gaming to me, that eliminated a bunch.

My mom and cousin happily play games 1v1, and my mom even prefers 1v1, so 1v1 games are good.  So I guess I'm looking at good 1v1 games, and games that are funner than Catan/Catan enhancement that could replace our 4 player and 5 player gamings.

That was really long but i appreciate any help you can give me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas wishlist help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:54:27 pm »
+1

I've played plenty of Settlers and Cities and Knights is a far better expansion than Seafarers, in my opinion.  I will elaborate, but if you'd like to give it a shot I think you can download and run Cities3D:

http://www.settlersonline.net/

It worked for my group of friends years ago.  From playing online, I decided that Seafarers wasn't really worth purchasing.  But C+K, definitely.

Cities and Knights does not dilute politics, but it rewards strategy significantly more than the original.  It actually adds a hint of co-op play as well.

There are two major changes.  The first change is the introduction of Barbarians, the second is the introduction of Commodities and a bunch of stuff that goes along with that. 

With C+K, you roll three dice instead of two.  There is a red numbered die, a regular die, and an event die.  The event die has 3 Black Ships.  The other 3 faces have yellow, blue and green castles (or city gates or something, I don't quite remember).

Barbarians sit on the board along a track.  Whenever a Black Ship is rolled, the Barbarians advance one space on the track.  When they reach Catan, they attack.  This is the co-op aspect -- all players together "must" defend against the Barbarians.  This is done by building and activating Knights before the Barbarians arrive.  If the collective number of active knights matches or exceeds the collective number of cities built, the Barbarians are repelled and the player who had the most Knights wins a Victory Point.  If the Barbarians win, whoever contributed the least Knights must demolish one of their Cities (they downgrade it to a Settlement).

This change in the game adds a constant pressure and also opens up a lot of strategic area.  I've won many games in a landslide simply because I activated a Knight and my friends forgot to do so, losing their initial Cities to the first Barbarian attack.  (For this reason, you should really warn the other players of the importance of building and activating a Knight, or else they will be behind the entire game and probably not have much fun).

Commodities are a new type of resource.  They are Cloth, Coin and Paper (for Commerce, Politics and Science), and they are produced by Cities on Sheep, Ore and Wood hexes.  A City on a Sheep hex will produce 1 Cloth and 1 Sheep instead of the 2 Sheep in the original game.

Commodities are used to purchase City Improvements.  This is where the red die comes into place.  Suppose you have the first Science City Improvement.  Now, if the event die rolls green and the red die is 1 or 2, you get a Science progress card (similar to the development cards in the original).  As you buy more City Improvements, you will get cards for higher numbers.  The third improvement also nets you a special power (e.g. Commerce will grant you the ability to train Commodities at 2:1).  If you are the first to reach the fourth/fifth level, you can convert a City to a Metropolis (worth more VP, cannot be demolished by Barbarians).

I am trying to strike a balance between summary and detail and it is difficult.  But suffice it to say that C+K is an excellent expansion.  Politics remain, but you also need to be more careful in getting the right resources and building the right things.

However, I would NOT recommend the expansion if the other players would be daunted by complexity.  It adds a lot.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:56:23 pm »
+2

I'm really enjoying Pandemic, but that may be too "dark" for your mom.  Acquire is really a gem.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:08:03 pm »

The economic aesthetics would probably be a turnoff.

Which contradicts their love of Monopoly, but I'm just telling it like it is. 

Sounds like Cities and Knights might be the several-player winner. 

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:43 am »
+2

Incan Gold.

My family, who does not play board games, loves it. It's not super strategic. It's got a ton of game theory and a ton of luck. But it's easy, fun, and quick. I'm not sure what constitutes dark and deomonic, but in this game you go adventuring in temples and find treasures. But theres also traps. So maybe the spider or the mummy trap might be pushing it? Not sure. You can see the game contents here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N8c_-z9l7h8/TVkwW-GFaVI/AAAAAAAAABg/Y_oID1tbFoQ/s1600/incan-gold-pieces.jpg.

Oh also it's really cheap.

If you want a coop game, pandemic is a lot of fun. If that's too complicated for you, forbidden island is a simpler version of it. There's no creepy mummies in that one.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:56 am »

Which does she like better:
Camels? Jaipur
Exploring? Lost Cities

It's very rare for games to get my wife's seal of approval, but these two have made the cut.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:18 am »

I don't own Cities & Knights, so I can't comment on it personally, but I don't recall ever hearing someone say that the game was made worse by including this expansion. If you're already into Settlers, then it sounds like this would be the best purchase.

Blokus is a nice little tactical game that is inoffensive and devoid of luck. It can also play 1v1. Tsuro is a light-hearted game that requires some thinking. It goes from 2 to 8 players. As silly as it is, I like White Water, though the shared-player rule doesn't really work for 1v1. I suppose you could just man your own rafts and have a 2-player race (to explain: each raft has paddlers from two different players so that it's competitive but you still have to cooperate with someone to win).

Carcassonne is a lot of fun, but it's extremely luck-dependent. There is a lot of tactical decisions to be made, but it's more of a game about weathering luck.

Many of my other suggestions would include dark themes, so I won't mention them here.
A man has no signature

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:08 am »

I don't own Cities & Knights, so I can't comment on it personally, but I don't recall ever hearing someone say that the game was made worse by including this expansion. If you're already into Settlers, then it sounds like this would be the best purchase.

i'm actually not a fan of cities and knights at all. that expansion always seemed a little clumsy to me. i think that it pretends to take itself seriously as a strategy game, but it just falls short of too many other strategy games. so at that point, stick to the basic mechanic that i think made the game enjoyable. i really like the basic settlers (well 5-6) but just couldn't get into cities and knights.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:34 am »

And now I've seen a negative review.

The Catan card game seemed okay. I played a demo of it at Origins. It's different from the board game, but the theme is familiar. I think the card game may be for only 2 players, though. Not much of a family game unless you are happy with a game where people flit in and out.
A man has no signature

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:29 am »
+1

It's the usual candidates we see in most of these threads. Carcassonne (hunters and gatherers) or now Kingdom Builder, Ticket to Ride, Seven Wonders, Mr Jack, and so on.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 09:46:38 am »
+2

I can always be persuaded to play a game of 7 Wonders, and that says a lot about a game...

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:45 am »

I'm starting to prefer Flash Point to Pandemic.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:59 am »

Can you elaborate?  Is this a different game, or an expansion?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:21:43 am »

Can you elaborate?  Is this a different game, or an expansion?
I have Flash Point in my collection, but yet to play it. I was hoping to play it with the family at christmas.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 10:24:24 am »

Flash Point is very Pandemic-esque.  It's a coop board game that involves fighting a fire instead of curing disease.

The core mechanic of "there is bad stuff spreading around the world and we add bad stuff and bad stuff + bad stuff = KABLOOIE" is the same.  The main differences are:

* Different style of movement
* Different "win-the-game" mechanic -- instead of using cards to cure disease, you have to rescue people.

I like them both, and to be honest if you hate one you won't like the other.  But Flash Point is a bit more interesting to me, and I can't say why.  Perhaps it is that the theme is a lot more immersive.  Extinguishing fires is more immediate and relatable than removing yellow cubes from Kinshasa.  And there's no "waiting around for the right cards" feel - you always have something that needs to be done.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:24 am »

I also found the ability to save up action points when you have nothing good to do interesting, although I doubt how many times you actually want to wait around.

But I guess it's similar to playing Tactician as you can use the points on subsequent actions.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

While Ticket to Ride is a usual suspect, I can't emphasize enough how great of a game it is for all types of people.

Don't overlook quality party games, either, if you are looking for 5+ player fun. Apples to Apples, Wits and Wagers, Wise and Otherwise (my favorite) etc. are the usual suspects here, and usually involve less logical strategy than understanding and figuring out what your opponents would do/say, but are very fun. Bonuses: usually very easy to explain, no "dark" imagery, little down time when playing. These are the games my friends and family usually turn to at the holidays when we get 5 or more players.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:55 am »

I can always be persuaded to play a game of 7 Wonders, and that says a lot about a game...

I've been curious about other opinions of this. 

I like 7 Wonders a great deal, but I refuse to play it 2-player anymore.  The pseudo third player is too much of a distraction to enjoy the game.

How do the rest of you feel about it?

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:21:41 am »
+1

I've been curious about other opinions of this. 

I like 7 Wonders a great deal, but I refuse to play it 2-player anymore.  The pseudo third player is too much of a distraction to enjoy the game.

How do the rest of you feel about it?

I really enjoy 7 Wonders. I tried the two player version recently with my wife and we also found it distracting. Instead of building up our position, we spent most of the time trying to give the fake player good cards that each other would want.

I really like that increasing the number of players does not increase the play time. There is almost no sitting around, and if your group knows what they are doing, then it is a really quick game. I am not 100% behind both expansions, but they do add some interesting elements for when the base game gets stale.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »

I also recommend Ticket to Ride.  Easy to teach, easy to grasp, reasonable strategic depth, reasonable luck.

The original Ticket to Ride (using the U.S. map) is the easiest to comprehend, but I actually don't play it so much any more because I feel it's more swingy than the others.  A player who happens to get multiple "very long" ticket routes can usually walk away with the game.  I prefer Ticket to Ride: Europe, as it balances that swing (there are only 6 "long" tickets, and everyone gets 1 at the start of the time and can't get any more) and the addition of stations reduces the potential screwage factor (of one player building in just the wrong spot to ruin your plans).

I've seen Ticket to Ride: Marklin described as having more depth, but I actually prefer Europe to Marklin.  Marklin is fiddly - a lot of extra tokens and pieces that I think don't fit ToR's simplicity - and is significantly harder to teach to family.

I also recommend, if you can find them, Ticket to Ride: Switzerland and/or Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries.  Switzerland is an expansion only (you need the original or Europe first) but is a nice fun map balanced for only 2 or 3 players.  Nordic Countries is also designed for 2 or 3 players, and is a standalone to boot.  I need to bring that out more... we've just been playing more Dominion than anything else these days.  ;D

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:30 pm »

Ticket to Ride
Incan Gold

Been mentioned before but definitely worth highlighting!

Also, I'm just about to introduce my family to Zooloretto, it's about collectIng animals and starting a zoo, so very parent friendly!
There's a free iPhone app if you want to try it!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »
+1

Hive is a good 1v1 game.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 06:59:19 pm »

Mansion of Madness?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:25 pm »

Cities and Knights seems like a definite at this point.  I guess maybe I can get 7 wonders so my cousin, my mom, and I can play it.  It's a bummer the 2 player variant is a disappointment

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 07:57:06 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.194 seconds with 20 queries.