Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Conform  (Read 3659 times)

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Conform
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

Conform, $4, Action
+1 Action

All players (including you) reveal the top 2 cards of his deck and puts them back. You may gain a card worth up to the number of Victory cards revealed. Put it into your hand.

you get to play a card you gain in the same turn. tried playing with $5 then $4 cost with very little difference. left at $4 cost for the moment.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:27:09 pm by sylas »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Conform
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »
+1

Interesting idea, but I'm afraid it's going to scale badly with the number of players.

EDIT: Also, if at least 4 Victory cards are revealed, you can gain another Conform into your hand, play that one, gain another one, etc. until the entire Conform stack is empty.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:56:14 pm by LastFootnote »

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:32 am »

good point. how about this instead:

Conform, $6, Action
+1 Action

Gain a card costing $3 or less. Put it into your hand.

i think this way it is more balanced. the idea is to get a card that can help your hand this turn.
e.g. you have a Baron but no Estates; you buy an Estate. or you have Curses and no trashing card; you buy a Chapel/Masquerade. etc
Silver would probably be a more popular gain overall.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:20:54 am »

Conform, $6, Action
+1 Action

That's really interesting.  It reminds me of Band of Misfits, but not really.

I think the cost could be reduced to $5, perhaps.  Needs play-testing of course. 

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:12:08 pm »

just playtested it very quickly. quite fun to use, though i can't try it with other Dominion expansions other than original and Intrigue. i was thinking of reducing it to $5 as well but having looked up Band of Misfits, i'm partial to keeping it at $6. Misfits gets to play a $4 card which is better but seems overall less versatile than Conform, and you don't get to keep the card you play.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »

just playtested it very quickly. quite fun to use, though i can't try it with other Dominion expansions other than original and Intrigue. i was thinking of reducing it to $5 as well but having looked up Band of Misfits, i'm partial to keeping it at $6. Misfits gets to play a $4 card which is better but seems overall less versatile than Conform, and you don't get to keep the card you play.

Band of Misfits also can't be used as a Victory or Treasure card. However, Band of Misfits has the advantage that sometimes you don't want to actually gain the card it mimics. You just want to use it as a Smugglers or Moneylender when it's appropriate without junking up your deck with the actual card.

I'd also compare this version of Conform to Explorer, which is a $5 card that gains a Silver to your hand. Conform can't gain Gold like Explorer sometimes can, but it is non-terminal and much more flexible. I'd try it at $5, but it may have to stay at $6. There is also a chance that it may not work at any cost.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »

True.

Mine, for example, increases the value of your hand by one coin.  This would increase the value by two, if you chose Silver.  And it's not terminal...

Yeah, I think I've convinced myself it should be $6.

ShinKyo

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:03:46 pm »
+1

Conform, $6, Action
+1 Action

That's really interesting.  It reminds me of Band of Misfits, but not really.

I think the cost could be reduced to $5, perhaps.  Needs play-testing of course. 
All cards which provide such an effect are broken. If you would leave it this way, you only need 3 Highways or villages and bridges to empty the Conform pile and then gain massivly other good cards directly in hand. That isn't really funny for the other players. The effect has to be limited to 'gain a card costing $3 or less (except Conform)' which sounds strange or 'gain a card costing at least $3 less than this' or 'gain a card costing up to the cost of a silver'.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:10:52 pm by ShinKyo »

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »

that stated by Shinkyo really is the effect i want, but the wording is a bit of a problem. i don't expect to leave it open to Conform, Conform , Conform... but i don't really like the alternative suggested wordings either :)

what if it said:

Gain a card costing $3 or less and currently not in play. Put it into your hand.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:31:33 pm by sylas »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:08 pm »

I think the comparison here is to Explorer.

This trades away the opportunity to get Gold instead of Silver, for the opportunity to get a non-Treasure card instead. But it's also non-terminal. That seems pretty strong.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55:04 am »

my group have used it in a few games but none of us felt it was overpowered. in fact, while it was a lot of fun to use, it never got to a point where it was winning the game for us whereas many of the lower costing cards (such as Ironworks) made much better headway.

bear in mind that we only have Base and Intrigue though, and we rarely go for BM.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:20:54 pm »

Conform, $6, Action
+1 Action

i think this way it is more balanced. the idea is to get a card that can help your hand this turn.
e.g. you have a Baron but no Estates; you buy an Estate. or you have Curses and no trashing card; you buy a Chapel/Masquerade. etc
Silver would probably be a more popular gain overall.

Three highways out and ...boom the pile is empty?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »

this was already addressed previously which led to the following alteration:

Conform, $6, Action
+1 Action

Gain a card costing $3 or less and currently not in play. Put it into your hand.

i'm trying to go for an effect that does NOT allow you to repeat this process forever. it might still be overpowered (cost $7 maybe, or reword again) but i am unable to playtest further with the cards i have.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:11:05 pm by sylas »

ShinKyo

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:08:03 pm »

this was already addressed previously which led to the following alteration:

Conform, $6, Action
+1 Action

i'm trying to go for an effect that does NOT allow you to repeat this process forever. it might still be overpowered (cost $7 maybe, or reword again) but i am unable to playtest further with the cards i have.

That seams a good decision. I like that version and I don't think it would be too strong cause you normally cannot gain the same card again if you played already one of it. Good solution. With Villages and Bridges a combo with feasts would be great to get 5 or more cost cards though you don't get it in hand. I think you could even change it to this:
Conform, $5, Action
+1 Action

Gain a card costing up to $4 and currently not in play. Put it into your hand.
Some may think this would be better than Band Of Misfits. But since you can only get a card which isn't in play it is considerably limited. The +Action you mostly have to 'pay' for a gained action to play. The special feature of this card compared to BoM would be the abilties to get more expensive cards via bridges etc. and gaining treasure and victory cards. A lot more fine combos would be possible. Could be a fine and playful card. Up to $3 would be rarely attractive for action cards and then why the +1 action?
Just now I get another idea (a bit of ironworks mixed in):
Conform, $5, Action
Gain a card costing up to $4 and currently not in play. Put it into your hand.
If it's an...
action card: +1 Action
treasure card: +1 Buy
victory card: +1 Coin

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

it works perfectly fine even as a cost $5 card, though gaining a $4 card seemed too powerful (esp. when we had Mining Villages). Conform isn't meant to get you the best cards available; it's about getting that little bit extra for what you need on your turn and is best when bought early. that said, i think there's plenty of good $3 cost or lower cards out there, though if you play Village-Bridge-Conform, you'd still get your $4 card (except Bridge). failing that, Silver is always decent.

so i'll lower it to $5 but leave the card gained at $3.

ShinKyo

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 07:22:23 am »

it works perfectly fine even as a cost $5 card, though gaining a $4 card seemed too powerful (esp. when we had Mining Villages). Conform isn't meant to get you the best cards available; it's about getting that little bit extra for what you need on your turn and is best when bought early. that said, i think there's plenty of good $3 cost or lower cards out there, though if you play Village-Bridge-Conform, you'd still get your $4 card (except Bridge). failing that, Silver is always decent.

so i'll lower it to $5 but leave the card gained at $3.
I agree, with Mining Village it could be strong, but there are only a limited amount and why I rather don't keep some of them? So I think it would be not so useful to get many of them easily and directly trash them. I mean that Donald has chosen the costs of 4 at 'Gain-Effect'-action cards is important (except for Hermit, but thats another thing). And I think to get a silver in hand isn't worth the costs. An explorer is also only good if you can combine it with a Province. What do you think about my Conform/Ironworks-Mix?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:26:50 am by ShinKyo »

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 05:00:38 pm »

it increases the versatility even further which should make it a cost $6 card. the similarity with Ironworks is too close i think, and while it's decent as a card in itself, it's not what i was aiming for.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.