theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Ouch
« on: December 05, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
+14

Pocket Tactics names Goko to be their Disappointment of the Year.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Ouch
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:30:25 pm »
+2

Ouch, indeed.
And it's not anything I can really disagree with. The GenCon release was too ambitious.

I'm not sure what this means for Goko. All this bad press is going to play havoc with its relationships with game companies. I want Goko to succeed, but it's going to be a really rough road ahead for them. I can't imagine that RGG and Mayfair are all that thrilled with the negative press surrounding it.
A man has no signature

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 02:32:32 pm »
+4

Yah, it was a bad idea for them to try and launch at Gen Con when their beta testers were telling them that their product wasn't ready yet.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:41:24 pm »
+1

Ouch, indeed.
And it's not anything I can really disagree with. The GenCon release was too ambitious.

I'm not sure what this means for Goko. All this bad press is going to play havoc with its relationships with game companies. I want Goko to succeed, but it's going to be a really rough road ahead for them. I can't imagine that RGG and Mayfair are all that thrilled with the negative press surrounding it.

No offense, but it is the product itself that they should be less-than-thrilled with.  Where there is smoke, there is fire, right?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 02:45:34 pm »

Ouch, indeed.

No offense, but it is the product itself that they should be less-than-thrilled with.  Where there is smoke, there is fire, right?

And, if you're Mayfair, there isn't even a product out.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »
+2

Goko seems very good to me.  The failure to launch was a big problem, but the article doesn't give it enough credit.  It ends with "people say it's okay now", but in fact Goko's kinda awesome. 

As a play experience, it far outstrips iso, at least for me.  It's annoying that it can take a long time to get a game since there are few players, and iso's matching system is way better.  But the look and feel are great.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:28:47 pm »
+2

Goko? More like Choke-o

Why didn't I think of this first???

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
+1

Goko? More like Joke-o
Goko? More like Broke-o
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:49 pm »

Goko? More like Joke-o
Goko? More like Broke-o
Goko? More like No-go
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:35 pm »

Goko seems very good to me.  The failure to launch was a big problem, but the article doesn't give it enough credit.  It ends with "people say it's okay now", but in fact Goko's kinda awesome. 

As a play experience, it far outstrips iso, at least for me.  It's annoying that it can take a long time to get a game since there are few players, and iso's matching system is way better.  But the look and feel are great.

The load time is a bit slow for me. Also, when a game is finished, the load time also slows down a bit for me. Other than that, I am liking the interface for the most part. Also, I am getting better at tracking points without a point tracker which is helping me keep track of cards in my deck better which is making me a better player. Also, the bots make for good practice for learning how to play certain strategies. For example, I never played the KC-Masq-Goons pin successfully until I practiced against a bot. Now, I am pretty good at it.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:54 pm »
+2

I am pretty disappointed that
1. can only run on a computer
2. but with resolution stuck at 1024*768. I cannot even make it full screen in a browser window...

So, html5 and cross platform is just a huge hype and doesn't really mean a thing, right?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »

2. but with resolution stuck at 1024*768. I cannot even make it full screen in a browser window...

So, html5 and cross platform is just a huge hype and doesn't really mean a thing, right?

From what I can tell, yes.

It's easy to blame Goko, but I wonder how much of this is just mobile devices not being HTML5-ready.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »
+4

...but in fact Goko's kinda awesome.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »

From what I can tell, yes.

It's easy to blame Goko, but I wonder how much of this is just mobile devices not being HTML5-ready.

Devices are HTML-5 ready goko has just decided to do somethings that mobiles don't support. And well if your having performance issues on your pc think about how your weaker smartphone would feel.

...but in fact Goko's kinda awesome.

laugh meme
I think goko has potential its just not there yet. That said I still enjoy playing there.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 06:23:37 pm »

Devices are HTML-5 ready goko has just decided to do somethings that mobiles don't support. And well if your having performance issues on your pc think about how your weaker smartphone would feel.

Well, to be fair, I'm having absolutely no performance issues with Goko on my desktop and my laptop recently. Just for fun, I tried playing it on my iPhone over 3G today. It technically runs, but is still unplayable.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.303 seconds with 21 queries.